Custom Suiting Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TOstyle, May 8, 2014.

1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

No more retail for me

2. bobbyz

bobbyz Well-Known Member

I'm curious, who is your competition in Ottawa? From my recollection MTM selection was limited to Holts (on its way out), Harry Rosen (different price point) and maybe the tailors that do roadshows.

3. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Random question.

Any of you gents have experience with fabric from Fratelli Tallia di Delfino. With this cold spree on the east coast, I was thinking of adding another winter weight wool to my arsenal, and I have a couple of really kick-ass flannels from Fratelli. But the mill doesn't get a lot of love, and it doesn't appear to be as much of a "name" brand.

Regardless, I think the fabric is fantastic, not overly priced, and performs beautifully. Any of you guys have experience with the fabrics?

4. borbor

borbor Senior member

5. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

The weight was in the 11-12 oz range. I didn't purchase by the yard myself, and I'm going off a hazy memory, but I think the suits worked out to $1600-1900 or so range. Can't remember exactly, and that was with a smaller shop in NYC (not worth mentioning, or I would).

6. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I popped on by Spiros Tailor on the Danforth yesterday.

Bespoke suit $875 with his fabrics (all quite nice) or $1100 for higher end (Scabal, Zegna).

If you want a custom order from a fabric book (he has most major mills) you're up to about $1500.

For the price I figured what the heck and went ahead with a deep navy VBC (oddly enough I don't have a deep navy suit).

His shop is in the back, it's all done on site and he cuts everything himself. Lapels hand stitched, button holes hand stitched for $100 extra.

It's a very no nonsense operation, he's not pushy in the least nor does he suggest any fabrics above another (to the point of leaving it to be a bit of a difficult decision). Really nice old school guy who knows his stuff.

We'll see how things turn out, I'll keep everybody updated.

7. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

875 for true bespoke or M2M? I'm very skeptical at that price point.

8. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I was as well, but given he's cutting and I'm getting a basted fitting next week I can't imagine it's made to measure.

9. greger

greger Senior member

There wouldn't be any bells and whistles for that price of two piece suit. Adding in cloth and trimmings and fittings seems to me would put him in the financial red. Then there are the other bills, lights, water, heat, accountant, lawyer, taxes, etc. There are under payed tailors, but this guy is super under payed.

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Not expecting miracles. But if it beats a Harrys Samuehlson mtm offering for 400 less I'll be very happy. The stuff he has on display is very nicely done.

It's an "anniversary sale" so the regular going rate may well be more. It's a very very small operation in an odd location, you have to factor that when comparing it to competitors leasing space in Yorkville or the cbd.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. greger

greger Senior member

Some tailors work from their homes. That would cut costs.

As a discount price future sales will make the difference. If his fitting skills makes for very comfortable clothes some of those new customers will be back. People pay big bucks for comfortable clothes. I have never found any rtw comparable to the custom I make for myself.

12. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Here's a thread with one person's experience with Spiros here.

Another Styleforum member complained that his suits were boxy and that he didn't take direction well. I can't find that thread right now though. Pants fit great according to that same member.

Edit found the post, go here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  13. SultansFabrics

SultansFabrics New Member

89 Bentworth Ave, Unit 2A Dufferin/401 (Near Orfus
  14. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

What are the labor charges of your tailor and how many yards are needed for a standard 2 piece suit with extra pants?

15. SultansFabrics

SultansFabrics New Member

89 Bentworth Ave, Unit 2A Dufferin/401 (Near Orfus