Custom Suiting Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TOstyle, May 8, 2014.

1. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Absolutely. When I started my career I bought a Tiger of Sweden navy blue suit for $800 on Queen Street. It was some type of wool blend (the waist expanded a lot after use) and really started to show signs of wear after 2 years. Not bad for my first buy...but the fact that you can get a decent contemporary suit (and I'd say better fitting) for a fraction of that cost from Spier Mackay should definitely be noted for anyone just starting off/in need of expanding their collection.

I'll need to wear the trousers bit more to get a sense, but they definitely feel better than any Boss/Tiger etc starter suits I ever owned.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

2. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That is a long term goal. I am not a tailor myself by a longshot. So finding a experienced, highly skilled tailor would be the challenge before venturing into that market. I know Toronto lacks this and would be a great opportunity to expand into. Future Yes. Near future, probably not.

As we expand our base and get our Downtown location up and running, we will be looking to bring in books from Holland & Sherry, Dormeil, Scabel, Marzzano, Dugale, etc. So the offering of the top end will be there if one is so inclined. :)

3. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Haters gonna hate, but I wasn't overly impressed with Sur. Checked out the store a couple of times, and the sales guys in there would actually pretty nice (young-ish guys, interested, not pushy) all of which is good and I start ticking off the boxes, but the product just looked...well...meh. Also, I saw their booth at the Gentlemen's Expo and looked over some product in more detail, and had the same view. It looked like the stereotype of what made in China looks like (even though I believe it is made in Thailand/ Southeast Asia) - and I mean that to invoke the sentiment, I have nothing against well-made products no matter where it is made.

It is a very aggressive entry level price point, and for a first suit or a jacket you want to play around with, by all means worth taking a flier on.

Just in my opinion, to further discussion, given the level of quality I saw, this isn't the place to entrust your VBC, H&S or Dormeuil.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

@TOstyle I'm with you on that. While the pricing and concept is nice, I can't help but feel most would be able to find something at Suitsupply around the same price and get a better made product.

@spiermackay that's great news, I'm sure many on here would find that to be a very enticing option.

5. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

Law school is done in 3 years. Make it happen and you've got a life-long customer!

6. Maegnus

Maegnus Well-Known Member

I totally understand this sentiment. We used to operate on a Thailand make, which I found stiff (and there were some quality control issues). We recently made the switch to a China make, and it has been a big improvement; it has a nice high armhole and the fusing is much lighter, so the jackets aren't so stiff. I've ordered unlined jackets to test the craftsmanship, and the finishing is excellent.

When testing Sur out, it makes sense to take advantage of the competitive pricing in order to keep risk down (many guys will start with an entry level wool ~$550). That said, once your measurements are dialed in, there is no need to shy away from the finer cloth. We have many satisfied customers who continue to take advantage of our H&S pricing and selection.

We also have fitting garments in house now, so you can come in and try one on in your size if you're curious.

7. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Plain old fitting garments? That's old time technology - not moving away from the airport scanner I hope? That couldn't have all been for show...

I kid, I kid. I don't meant to knock anyone down. I'm a big fan of custom suiting, and going to Sur and picking up the entry level at $500 is much better than getting something at Moores for $300, so I'm glad it's an option in the market. Plus I agree that getting the fit right is the main thing, and it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my view on relative quality and turns out I don't think it's for me; certainly doesn't mean it isn't for others.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I used to work at Moores many years ago. From the commercials I think they have moved to a more modern look? Either way the funny thing is I gave my Moores suits for Charity that was 36R and it was pretty much made to fit a 40R. Garbage suit.

I have no idea why anyone would step foot in that store

9. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

It's nuts how poorly made those suits are. But even in your message I think it's clear why it's still around. You haven't been in the store for years probably, rightly so, but from the commercial you have the impression that they now have a more modern look, right? Nope, that's just marketing. It's the same old crap. But it's crap with a brand name, and if your options are Sears, The Bay, Moores or International Exchange (you're young or you live in the suburbs) and you don't care about suits and just want something, and can't fathom why anyone would spend more than $500 (at most!!!!!) on a suit, it starts to make more sense.

Really, the product is so obviously crap that it's not even worth arguing about. As in for me, and I think for you too 7_rocket -- a Moores/ Mens Warehouse/ Jos A. Bank (all now opened by the same corporate parent) suit and shirt are so obviously bad I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. That's why I found it mind boggling that I got flack for posting to that effect on this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/445968/best-place-to-buy-a-suit

Without trying to be an a-hole about brands and things, I really don't understand how from both the fit and the fabric, anyone could objectively say a Moore suit is worth the money. Maybe I'm wrong? If so, feel free to tell me.

10. Maegnus

Maegnus Well-Known Member

Advertising. Your average Joe associates suits with Moores. When I tell people I work in a suit shop, 100% of them respond with "oh, Moores?"

11. borbor

borbor Senior member

lol, that's hilarious

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I think the vast majority of people aren't like us (obviously), when I used to work there not one person would ask about lapel or what type of fabric was used, if it was fused etc etc. My old suits had HUGE shoulder pads. So previous moores suits I bought a while ago, I had them taper the crap out of them pants and it was STILL baggy. Ah well.

They did however throw awesome Christmas parties :slayer:

13. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

That thread was won when someone dropped David Beckham and Ronaldo as his sartorial heroes. I considered making his line my sig, but.....

14. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The average guy shops by convenience/price over style/quality. Moores/Men's Wearhouse/Jos. A. Bank (These guys are pretty much the Home Depot/Staples for Menswear) makes this very easy. Big, easy accessible locations is the half the sale for them.

15. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Same! That's when I knew it was going to be a good one. And that is like what one of the saleswomen said to me at the Hugo Boss outlet when she gratuitously brought me this hideous blue and purple striped suit from godknowswhere (it looked like they had clearly been trying to get rid of for years) and said "oh you just HAVE to have it - all the movie stars wear Boss". Which movies stars I said. "All of them".

Well that's still something, even though your employee discount wasn't all that useful. Do you still work retail?