• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curtain alternatives

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
11730943355_0d9f4a3c62_z.jpg

I have this set of floor to ceiling windows in my living room. The view is unimpressive; just of the building across the street. I want to let in light while maintaining privacy. I installed one privacy film in the lower right window as a test. It seems to let in more light than even a very thin curtain.

Does this look good? Should I install the film across all the windows or leave the bottom two untouched? My cats enjoy looking out the bottom windows, and if I need to look outside to see if my taxi has arrived I could use those as well.

Or should I just get a curtain?

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I actually like the vista of the old brick building. It has a reassuring urbanity to it. I would go with curtains when privacy is required.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to have privacy at nearly all times, so I would just have the curtains drawn 95% of the time.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curtain it up.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solar shades will allow light in and preserve your ability to see outside while preventing people from seeing in during the day. They may provide less privacy at night when it is dark outside and you have interior lights on.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently installed wooden slat blinds in my place and I'm very happy with them. You can tilt them in a way that lets light in and provides privacy at the same time. I wouldn't install the film if I were you. You're high up from the street and far enough away from the neighbours windows for it to be unnecessary, in my opinion.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just use curtains, unless you are worried about your cats tearing them apart when they hang out by the window. In that case you should probably get blinds.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can't see in the above photo, but often there are people working in the windows opposite. If I can see them, they can see me.
Solar shades will allow light in and preserve your ability to see outside while preventing people from seeing in during the day. They may provide less privacy at night when it is dark outside and you have interior lights on.
Do you mean like a one-way reflective film? I'm starting to think that would be the best option as although the view is unimpressive, being able to see a larger space outside makes the living room feel less claustrophobic. I had initially thought the frosted film I got would be better as the reflective film may be darker (though the difference may be slight).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't see in the above photo, but often there are people working in the windows opposite. If I can see them, they can see me.

Do you mean like a one-way reflective film? I'm starting to think that would be the best option as although the view is unimpressive, being able to see a larger space outside makes the living room feel less claustrophobic. I had initially thought the frosted film I got would be better as the reflective film may be darker (though the difference may be slight).

I meant solar shades. As I said before, they will allow light in and preserve your ability to see outside while preventing people from seeing in during the day. I suppose they're not entirely unlike reflective film in that regard though I would prefer shades to film in most residential applications.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One way mirror film gets my vote.

fozzy1609

Reaction score
I agree - a one-way vision film will be a great choice if you've decided your happy with the view. Just remember it will only give a one-way vision effect during the day. When it's dark outside and you have the lights on people will be able to see straight in, and you won't be able to see out. This may mean you'll need to invest in curtains anyway for night time privacy - don't know whether that would change your mind? Heres a link to some one way vision films - https://www.evowrap.co.uk/one-way-vision-window-film-installation you'll see if you scroll down there's a DIY section with loads of different colours to choose from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads