Curtain alternatives

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

I have this set of floor to ceiling windows in my living room. The view is unimpressive; just of the building across the street. I want to let in light while maintaining privacy. I installed one privacy film in the lower right window as a test. It seems to let in more light than even a very thin curtain.

Does this look good? Should I install the film across all the windows or leave the bottom two untouched? My cats enjoy looking out the bottom windows, and if I need to look outside to see if my taxi has arrived I could use those as well.

Or should I just get a curtain?

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

I actually like the vista of the old brick building. It has a reassuring urbanity to it. I would go with curtains when privacy is required.

3. Kent Wang

I like to have privacy at nearly all times, so I would just have the curtains drawn 95% of the time.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Just curtain it up.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Solar shades will allow light in and preserve your ability to see outside while preventing people from seeing in during the day. They may provide less privacy at night when it is dark outside and you have interior lights on.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

I recently installed wooden slat blinds in my place and I'm very happy with them. You can tilt them in a way that lets light in and provides privacy at the same time. I wouldn't install the film if I were you. You're high up from the street and far enough away from the neighbours windows for it to be unnecessary, in my opinion.

7. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I would just use curtains, unless you are worried about your cats tearing them apart when they hang out by the window. In that case you should probably get blinds.

8. Kent Wang

You can't see in the above photo, but often there are people working in the windows opposite. If I can see them, they can see me.
    Do you mean like a one-way reflective film? I'm starting to think that would be the best option as although the view is unimpressive, being able to see a larger space outside makes the living room feel less claustrophobic. I had initially thought the frosted film I got would be better as the reflective film may be darker (though the difference may be slight).

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I meant solar shades. As I said before, they will allow light in and preserve your ability to see outside while preventing people from seeing in during the day. I suppose they're not entirely unlike reflective film in that regard though I would prefer shades to film in most residential applications.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

10. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    One way mirror film gets my vote.

11. fozzy1609

fozzy1609 New Member

I agree - a one-way vision film will be a great choice if you've decided your happy with the view. Just remember it will only give a one-way vision effect during the day. When it's dark outside and you have the lights on people will be able to see straight in, and you won't be able to see out. This may mean you'll need to invest in curtains anyway for night time privacy - don't know whether that would change your mind? Heres a link to some one way vision films - https://www.evowrap.co.uk/one-way-vision-window-film-installation you'll see if you scroll down there's a DIY section with loads of different colours to choose from.