• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks without tie?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Most people here would say no, or at least not without a jacket (and preferably not without a suit at that). And of course, wearing a suit without a tie is also considered sacrilege. So, if you follow that line of reasoning, the answer would be no. That said, I love French cuff shirts and have worn them with sweaters, sport coats and on occasion, just by themselves. I know that it's not considered appropriate, but I do it any way. Of course, it also depends on the look that you are trying to pull off and all that. So, most people here will tell you no. I'm not sure I share that opinion; however, I may be in the minority there.
+1. I wear them all the time as long as my cuff links are simple mother of pearl buttons fashioned into cuff links and I'm even okay even forgoing the jacket. My GF occasionally wears my shirts under sweater vests and shorts or capris.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
+1. I wear them all the time as long as my cuff links are simple mother of pearl buttons fashioned into cuff links and I'm even okay even forgoing the jacket.

Yeah, when I'm breaking the rules, I try to wear the more subtle/simple cuff links.

I reserve the more detailed/flashy ones for the jacket and tie occasions!
wink.gif

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I usually roll my sleeves when I'm wearing a french cuff shirt without a tie. Not a big fan of cufflinks without ties. When I do so, it's with a jacket.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hsuzi
But a tie makes me feel like a hung man.

Don't wear it down there, and you won't have that problem; though I don't know why you think it's a problem.

dcdapper

Reaction score
I often wear cufflinks with a sports coat, sometimes without a tie, and occassionally without a jacket and with a tie. I'm a pretty conservative dresser, but this rule strikes me as stodgy.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate rules of any kind, but one of the few rules I slavishly adhere to is no french cuffs with sportcoats/blazers or without a tie.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I hate rules of any kind, but one of the few rules I slavishly adhere to is no french cuffs with sportcoats/blazers or without a tie.

Did you mean, "...no french cuffs without sportcoats/blazers..."?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Did you mean, "...no french cuffs without sportcoats/blazers..."?

No, I don't wear french cuffs with sportcoats or blazers; suits only.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
No, I don't wear french cuffs with sportcoats or blazers; suits only.
Same here. I like to have clothing dedicated for specific occasions. I reserve fc for my formal and semi-formal dress up events, and on occasion for especially important business events.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I do it all the time....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads