• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cry thread: What pieces of clothing have you lost?

the Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just yesterday I posted here about my leather jacket that I love(d) so much.

Today I forgot it on the train with all my keys inside *smh*.
It might get found and returned by someone, however, I think it is very unlikely. This is not the first time this has happened to me. Throughout the years I have lost several favorite pieces of clothing.

I had a favorite cap that I bought at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company Shop in Times Square NY. Green front with a netted back and a cool shrimping boat flag on the front. I loved it a lot. I forgot it somewhere in my host families home when I went back to Germany. Never to be seen again *smh*.

Today, I am practicing acceptance. There is not much more to my story than me getting tunnel vision when I'm in a rush. Lesson reaffirmed: keep an eye out for the things you love.

Have you lost a favorite piece of clothing? What was it and how did it go about?

Regards from Düsseldorf
Filip

Last edited:

LLEE

Reaction score
Judas Priest “Sad Wings of Destiny” t-shirt. Not the same as newer shirts, but proper badass original. I wore it with pride for many years, until one day it was just not in my possession. Sad destiny indeed.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An MTM sport coat that was sent to me
from Chipp 30 years ago. It was lost in
the mail (UPS ?). I still occasionally think about it.

M.Photog

Reaction score
I am incredibly careless with my wallet and car keys and any other small items at home. There is no telling where i might decide to empty my pockets. Seldom does a week go by without me being on the hunt for something I have misplaced. When i leave my home or business it is like i am transformed into an entirely different person. I don't ever recall losing an item of clothing. I hope you get your jacket back

patelsd

Reaction score
Three years ago I went on a job interview that entailed spending the night at the senior partners home. I believe I left my Dalton boots there in his guest closet, but I took another job the next day and never got the balls to call to ask about my boots.

the Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I am incredibly careless with my wallet and car keys and any other small items at home. There is no telling where i might decide to empty my pockets. Seldom does a week go by without me being on the hunt for something I have misplaced. When i leave my home or business it is like i am transformed into an entirely different person. I don't ever recall losing an item of clothing. I hope you get your jacket back
Thank you:)

the Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Three years ago I went on a job interview that entailed spending the night at the senior partners home. I believe I left my Dalton boots there in his guest closet, but I took another job the next day and never got the balls to call to ask about my boots.
Did you end up buying yourself a new pair?

the Lone Wolf

Reaction score
It's been 30 years. It would still look good because it is a classic cut. But, it wouldn't
fit. In those days I ran 25-30 miles/week. Now I walk 10-12.
I'm glad you're still active, 10-12 miles is not little.

From your using present tense, I'm guessing you are secretly waiting for UPS to just show up with the package one day? Have you ordered insured parcel shipment ever since??

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're still active, 10-12 miles is not little.

From your using present tense, I'm guessing you are secretly waiting for UPS to just show up with the package one day? Have you ordered insured parcel shipment ever since??

Of course.

Since you are in Germany my mentioning that the jacket was from Chipp in
New York might not have any significance for you. From what I understand
Chipp is hardly in business now. It's owner Paul Winston is close to 80. I
stopped doing MTM with them when I moved to California and no longer
got to New York very often. I did buy RTW, however. I still have some of
their clothing- superbly made for the price, and distinctive within the Ivy
style.
http://www.ivy-style.com/chipp-off-the-old-block.html

the Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Of course.

Since you are in Germany my mentioning that the jacket was from Chipp in
New York might not have any significance for you. From what I understand
Chipp is hardly in business now. It's owner Paul Winston is close to 80. I
stopped doing MTM with them when I moved to California and no longer
got to New York very often. I did buy RTW, however. I still have some of
their clothing- superbly made for the price, and distinctive within the Ivy
style.
http://www.ivy-style.com/chipp-off-the-old-block.html
I understand now. That place seems so prestigious and I had never heard of it. Thanks for the short style history lesson

Edit: Did some research on the fabrics. 'Superbly made' is the right choice of words

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads