• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cruise Attire

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any cruise lines that rigidly insist on a black-tie dress code for formal nights? My stepson went on a short cruise down the coast of Mexico a couple of weeks ago. I asked him about this. He said he doubted if 1% of the men were in black tie for the formal nights. I think this was a Carnival Cruise. Definitely low-budget.

Perhaps I should phrase my question differently: Are there any cruise lines on which I would feel like a yokel and third-rater if I wore a midnight blue suit in lieu of a proper black-tie ensemble?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

Perhaps I should phrase my question differently: Are there any cruise lines on which I would feel like a yokel and third-rater if I wore a midnight blue suit in lieu of a proper black-tie ensemble?

Won't this depend on the class your riding in? Some of the short haul cruises in the med seem to come in widely different classes. I'm guessing the 1st class guests paying something like 10X the rest and getting service to match are going to dress for dinner.

centrix

Reaction score
tourist clothes if you wish to blend in

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I also like Totino's frozen party pizzas (the ones with the paper thin crust, sugary sweet tomato sauce, and little diced pepperoni cubes). More than most real pizza.

I used to eat those when I was a kid...loved those things...pizza rolls too

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cwh812
It is progressively better, the nicer the cruise line and on certain nights. If you are accustomed to eating out in any big city you are going to think the food is horrible. I would say slightly above coach airline food, but not much.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
I can imagine it. But am I wrong for actually getting excited about coach airline food? Love the stuff.

Who flies coach? Ugh.
tounge.gif

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Air plane food, even in first class (although I have to admit it is years since I have flown first class) is horrendous, the only point in it's favour is at least you only have to eat it at high altitude where your sense of taste isn't as sensitive.

I beg to differ in the case of international F on, for example, Singapore Air. OTOH you have, e.g., United where you have to make up for the sub-par food by drinking a lot of sub-par alcohol.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do like the mini-cans we buy on-board for a fortune...
Where do they get them? Margin stretcher i believe...
The same for cakes...

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cwh812
I've had good and bad. On a recent trip to Europe going there it was horrible, but coming back it was decent. This thread has digressed, but has anyone else noticed that the food you get when leaving the US if worse than the food coming back? I've generally noticed this trend on my last couple of trips to Europe.

The food on Aer Lingus from NYC to Dublin is way better than the food from Dublin to NYC. Then again, the Irish aren't known for food . . . .

rjacobs

Reaction score
A copy of David Foster Wallace's essay "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again"

wetnose

Reaction score
Are there any cruise lines that rigidly insist on a black-tie dress code for formal nights? My stepson went on a short cruise down the coast of Mexico a couple of weeks ago. I asked him about this. He said he doubted if 1% of the men were in black tie for the formal nights. I think this was a Carnival Cruise. Definitely low-budget. Perhaps I should phrase my question differently: Are there any cruise lines on which I would feel like a yokel and third-rater if I wore a midnight blue suit in lieu of a proper black-tie ensemble?
The cruise ship called The World... http://www.aboardtheworld.com/ If you have to ask about the price, then you don't want to know....

dclloyd

Reaction score
Are there any cruise lines that rigidly insist on a black-tie dress code for formal nights? My stepson went on a short cruise down the coast of Mexico a couple of weeks ago. I asked him about this. He said he doubted if 1% of the men were in black tie for the formal nights. I think this was a Carnival Cruise. Definitely low-budget. Perhaps I should phrase my question differently: Are there any cruise lines on which I would feel like a yokel and third-rater if I wore a midnight blue suit in lieu of a proper black-tie ensemble?
Cunard if you're looking for a larger ship, something like Silversea if you want a more yacht like experience. Crystal or Regent if you want something in the middle. All of these are of course at the upper end of the price scale. For the more mass-market lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess) you'll find the interpretation of 'dressing up' varies significantly. On some of these you'll have specialty restaurants where you'd expect there'd be a higher level of dress but sadly it's not usually the case. Drives me nuts to be sitting in the French Bistro on NCL which is a 3-4 hour fine dining experience and have someone at the table next to us in jeans and a polo.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I took a Princess cruise around the end of last year. All I needed for the day was a bathing suit/tank top or similar variation thereof, including the shore excursions.

It was a 7 day cruise with 2 formal nights (I wouldn't have booked a trip that had fewer). For the first one I wore a full-on rig, including detachable wing collar, stiff bib shirt and vest. For the second one I wore an ivory dinner jacket, turndown collar and cummerbund. Opera pumps both nights. We ate in the "nice" (meaning had to pay a cover) restaurants those nights. The other nights I wore nice trousers, shirt, and tassled loafers and we ate in the free restaurants.

I would say that somewhere between 25% and 40% of the men wore formal wear on the formal nights, and of those most were 40 years or older.

As others have noted, a Disney cruise is going to be loose in terms of dress codes, as are the majority of lines these days. I would suggest packing whatever you think you would be most comfortable wearing and not worry too much otherwise. That fact that you care enough to ask the question in this forum suggests that you'll look better than most of the other passengers.

Our ship was the Sapphire. We ate at the buffet only for breakfast and I found the food there and at the restuarants to be just fine. I've had better and certainly had much worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads