Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockpot / Slow Cooking!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Tck13, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I might have to buy one of these things. I bet they're great for beans and/or lentils.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Never seen the appeal of these.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Having one is like a rite of passage for becoming an adult with their own dwelling in many circles.

4. itsstillmatt

I don't understand. Don't dwellings come with stoves and ovens?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Something about the crock pot that indicates you are now a serious adult and member of the community.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I used to use my crockpot all the time. Need to get back into cooking with it more often. Wish I could track down this kick ass gumbo recipe I had. Was wonderful.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I was about to say that's actually the George Foreman grill, but honestly it's more of a college rite of passage.

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

For things like stews and chili, which I am fond of year round, I find the crock pot much more convenient than preparing them on the stove. Once things are cooked thoroughly, I can turn the heat down and leave it simmering all day if I like so that I don't have to keep reheating it if I want to go back for subsequent bowls throughout the day.

I'd also rather cook a roast in my crock pot than in the stove since I can prepare it all nice and early and leave the house for a few hours and know that the food will be ready for me as soon as I return.

Besides all that, there really is a difference in the taste to things that have been "slow cooked" and allowed to have the different spices really penetrate into everything.

9. itsstillmatt

OK.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

not where I live. :(

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

I think this is like the 5th time I've posted here, but I love crockpot cooking because it's so easy even a tard like me can do it.

I tend to make a big meal on Sunday night for the following week.

Last week was:

[​IMG]

1 lb lentils, 1 lb Slovacek beef sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, lots of chopped celery and carrots (I had too many carrots in this, made it too sweet), 2 beef bullion cubes, low for 8 hours, serve over brown rice.

Also, my favorite crock bean recipe is: 1 lb pinto beans, 1 lb pork sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, 1 medium yellow onion, 1 bunch cilantro, 1.5 teaspoon chicken bullion powder, low 8 hours, serve over white rice. This one tastes amazing.

edit: Oh yeah, I use a LOT of water in both these bean crocks. The broth is goooood

Pot roast is even easier. Just get a 4-5 lb roast, toss it in there on top a bed of whole, unscraped carrots, add a mixture of 1 can cream of something or other soup, water, and a packet of French Onion soup mix. Most of the time though I'll use two cans of cream of mushroom soup, causes the roast to break apart and turns it into more of a stew. I love this with those fancy grain breads.

For grins, I tried a recipe I found online to do crock pot pork ribs. Was a disaster.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

12. Renton

Renton Senior member

13. gort

gort Senior member

Yes, that's them. Thanks!

14. Bryan_Funfetti

Bryan_Funfetti Senior member

Crock pot owns my life. I've been eating chicken tortilla soup my gf made for 3 days now. Always hot, always ready. :slayer:

I like to make beef roasts, pulled pork, chicken breasts marinated in jerk sauce, chicken tikka. My absolute favorite use for the crock pot is making beef bourguignon. I've been collecting slow cooker cook books over the past year and I can't get enough. It's too easy to do well.

15. gort

gort Senior member

I am going to unbox my crock pot tomorrow and try this. Will let you know how it turns out.