• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockpot / Slow Cooking!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Never seen the appeal of these.

Having one is like a rite of passage for becoming an adult with their own dwelling in many circles.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Having one is like a rite of passage for becoming an adult with their own dwelling in many circles.

I don't understand. Don't dwellings come with stoves and ovens?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Something about the crock pot that indicates you are now a serious adult and member of the community.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to use my crockpot all the time. Need to get back into cooking with it more often. Wish I could track down this kick ass gumbo recipe I had. Was wonderful.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Something about the crock pot that indicates you are now a serious adult and member of the community.

I was about to say that's actually the George Foreman grill, but honestly it's more of a college rite of passage.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For things like stews and chili, which I am fond of year round, I find the crock pot much more convenient than preparing them on the stove. Once things are cooked thoroughly, I can turn the heat down and leave it simmering all day if I like so that I don't have to keep reheating it if I want to go back for subsequent bowls throughout the day.

I'd also rather cook a roast in my crock pot than in the stove since I can prepare it all nice and early and leave the house for a few hours and know that the food will be ready for me as soon as I return.

Besides all that, there really is a difference in the taste to things that have been "slow cooked" and allowed to have the different spices really penetrate into everything.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For things like stews and chili, which I am fond of year round, I find the crock pot much more convenient than preparing them on the stove. Once things are cooked thoroughly, I can turn the heat down and leave it simmering all day if I like so that I don't have to keep reheating it if I want to go back for subsequent bowls throughout the day.
I'd also rather cook a roast in my crock pot than in the stove since I can prepare it all nice and early and leave the house for a few hours and know that the food will be ready for me as soon as I return.
Besides all that, there really is a difference in the taste to things that have been "slow cooked" and allowed to have the different spices really penetrate into everything.

OK.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is like the 5th time I've posted here, but I love crockpot cooking because it's so easy even a tard like me can do it.

I tend to make a big meal on Sunday night for the following week.

Last week was:

409515_10150501730789525_662114524_8563313_1114996811_n.jpg

1 lb lentils, 1 lb Slovacek beef sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, lots of chopped celery and carrots (I had too many carrots in this, made it too sweet), 2 beef bullion cubes, low for 8 hours, serve over brown rice.

Also, my favorite crock bean recipe is: 1 lb pinto beans, 1 lb pork sausage, half a pod of garlic chopped fine, 1 medium yellow onion, 1 bunch cilantro, 1.5 teaspoon chicken bullion powder, low 8 hours, serve over white rice. This one tastes amazing.

edit: Oh yeah, I use a LOT of water in both these bean crocks. The broth is goooood

Pot roast is even easier. Just get a 4-5 lb roast, toss it in there on top a bed of whole, unscraped carrots, add a mixture of 1 can cream of something or other soup, water, and a packet of French Onion soup mix. Most of the time though I'll use two cans of cream of mushroom soup, causes the roast to break apart and turns it into more of a stew. I love this with those fancy grain breads.

For grins, I tried a recipe I found online to do crock pot pork ribs. Was a disaster.

Last edited:

Bryan_Funfetti

Reaction score
Crock pot owns my life. I've been eating chicken tortilla soup my gf made for 3 days now. Always hot, always ready. :slayer:

I like to make beef roasts, pulled pork, chicken breasts marinated in jerk sauce, chicken tikka. My absolute favorite use for the crock pot is making beef bourguignon. I've been collecting slow cooker cook books over the past year and I can't get enough. It's too easy to do well.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We use ours quite often and pulled pork is a personal favorite. I think actually shredding the pork after it's cooked is the most time consuming part (except for the waiting of course).
My recipe:
4 pounds of pork shoulder on the bone
A generous amount of pork rub rubbed into each side of the shoulder (I've used many different ones but found the store brand from the local specialty grocer to be my favorite but even Lowry's, Omaha Steaks, or McCormick's work fine)
A handful of whole cloves pierced into the sides of the pork shoulder
1 or 2 red onions (sliced, but not too finely)
A diced clove of garlic
Half a tablespoon of cumin
Handful of brown sugar (that's an exact measurement :satisfied: )
A cup of water
Bottle of beer (or two if the extra is needed to cover the shoulder in the pot)
Cook on high until it basically falls off the bone when you pick it up (usually between 4-6 hours depending on how big the shoulder is), remove cloves, and shred with forks or fingers. Return shredded pork to the crock pot and add half a bottle of BBQ sauce (or more or less depending on your preferences) and cook for another 30 minutes to an hour.
You can also return to the crock pot and serve immediately and allow folks to add whatever BBQ sauce they feel appropriate.
Damn! Now I want to make pulled pork this weekend.

I am going to unbox my crock pot tomorrow and try this. Will let you know how it turns out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics