• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
With the disclaimer that this is the first 365 last (ed: first? last? lol) article I have experienced, they have been very well fitted for me. Better than my two Coniston, and much roomier (in a good way) than the Weymouth I also have (don't remember what last that is). Do you have similar issues with other 365 last shoes/boots?
Edit:
Maybe it is also your lacing method?

Interesting. Im having this problem even before lacing the boots.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Interesting. Im having this problem even before lacing the boots.
I’ve had two Islays in 6.5 UK and two 7UK (kept 7UK).
one of the 6.5Uk was much tighter than the other 6.5UK. The right boot was even wrongly lasted as in the upper was visibly shifted to the outside and It wasn’t just from an esthetic point of view. You could see more of the welt and stitching on the inside part of the boot as it wasn’t covered by the upper because of the shifted lasting. The whole boot was tighter in that throat, ball and vamp area. It pressed my foot to the outside. We are talking 5mm less room on the inside ball area restricted by the upper.

But this would be clearly visible looking from above and the front.

But the two 7UK were perfect.

Another theory would be (since we know there is a width D 365) they took the wrong 365 last but I recon this is close to impossible.

Last edited:

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after much consternation... I gave in. I put my name down for the navy roughout Islay. I am very impressed with my green one, and that's a relatively good price for an excellent boot.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I’ve had two Islays in 6.5 UK and two 7UK (kept 7UK).
one of the 6.5Uk was much tighter than the other 6.5UK. The right boot was even wrongly lasted as in the upper was visibly shifted to the outside and It wasn’t just from an esthetic point of view. You could see more of the welt and stitching on the inside part of the boot as it wasn’t covered by the upper because of the shifted lasting. The whole boot was tighter in that throat, ball and vamp area. It pressed my foot to the outside. We are talking 5mm less room on the inside ball area restricted by the upper.

But this would be clearly visible looking from above and the front.

But the two 7UK were perfect.

Another theory would be (since we know there is a width D 365) they took the wrong 365 last but I recon this is close to impossible.

Thanks for that @BurgundyOxfords . Helpful.
The right foot boot is definetly tighter along the throat. I am gently stretching it out. If it doesnt resolve i might get in touch with C&J.

In your case where the right boot was even wrongly lasted as in the upper was visibly shifted to the outside. What did you do to resolve it or did you just put up with it?

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
With the disclaimer that this is the first 365 last (ed: first? last? lol) article I have experienced, they have been very well fitted for me. Better than my two Coniston, and much roomier (in a good way) than the Weymouth I also have (don't remember what last that is). Do you have similar issues with other 365 last shoes/boots?
Edit:
Maybe it is also your lacing method?

Thanks @skalogre .
Having this problem with just this particular green RO Islay 365. Even with lacing open. Lets see if it stretches out and resolves with wear and time

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Thanks for that @BurgundyOxfords . Helpful.
The right foot boot is definetly tighter along the throat. I am gently stretching it out. If it doesnt resolve i might get in touch with C&J.

In your case where the right boot was even wrongly lasted as in the upper was visibly shifted to the outside. What did you do to resolve it or did you just put up with it?
If it’s not visible from any angle then then this isn’t a lasting issue.

in my case it was visibly off even before I tried it on. You should be able to see it from above rightaway. I’ve had that with a pair of trickers too (though seconds). there is a video from Bedo s leatherworks that explaines the lasting issue for me (will find it later)

i managed to return the 6.5Uk and ordered somewhere else a 7 and a 6.5 And another 7 directly from CJ. The CJ one had the best quality control for sure

btw the secon 6.5 had a heelstack that was at an angle so it enforced pronation… no way I would have kept that either.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I am wanting to put together my following MTO dream spec and am wondering if anyone has interested in a GMTO for this:

---------------------
-Style: C&J Islay
-Last: 365
-Material: Blue shell cordovan
-Tounge: Gusseted tounge
-Eyelets: Exposed gunmetal colour (4 rows)
-Hooks: Gunmetal colour (5 rows)
-Welt: 360 degree storm welt (same standard spec as Islay)
-Edging colour: Black
-Sole: Rigeway
-----------------------

I've sent a mail to C&J for a quote. :)

Last edited:

Menninki

Reaction score
Hi, do we know the price or the price estimate yet for the Tan Scotch Islay? Looks really nice and I am considering it.

Marmite89

Reaction score
Hi, do we know the price or the price estimate yet for the Tan Scotch Islay? Looks really nice and I am considering it.
With the right amount of GMTO participants, the price should be comparable with the stock DB Grain Islay. I’m expecting £590 plus a £50 addition for the half-bellows tongue, so £640 (inc UK VAT)

WS19

Reaction score
Ouch :( Stock DB grain Islay here was under £490 equivalent (including tax) here until very recently. Price has just increased but still under £540.

Unfortunately, the half bellows tongue might break the camel's back. If it puts the ex-VAT price over about £515, customs duty will be payable on arrival in Australia. Although our GST rate is 10%, from personal experience the border authorities can add in enough charges and handling fees to make it almost 25%.

adrs1157

Reaction score
I am wanting to put together my following MTO dream spec and am wondering if anyone has interested in a GMTO for this:

---------------------
-Style: C&J Islay
-Last: 365
-Material: Blue shell cordovan
-Tounge: Gusseted tounge
-Eyelets: Exposed gunmetal colour (4 rows)
-Hooks: Gunmetal colour (5 rows)
-Welt: 360 degree storm welt (same standard spec as Islay)
-Edging colour: Black
-Sole: Rigeway
-----------------------

I've sent a mail to C&J for a quote. :)
My grail too, except with a DL sole and flat welt.

I'll probably single MTO one when I can.

I don't know why but navy cordovan Islays look incredible. Must be the 365 last.

Moostyle

Reaction score

I don't know why but navy cordovan Islays look incredible. Must be the 365 last.
Nice! Out of interest, why no ridgeway sole or storm welt? The storm welt is super discreet, looks basically flat with a tiny ridge.

Last edited:

Marmite89

Reaction score

Out of interest, does anyone have any pictures to share of an Islay running Double Leather soles or Flat Welt? I’d be interested to see the aesthetics…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads