• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
COVID may have changed such restrictions. They’re hurting, just like everyone else, and may just loosen GMTO requirements to help.

That would be very interesting, and I suspect a good few GMTO’s might take off, if that is indeed the case.

fernando526

Reaction score
That would be very interesting, and I suspect a good few GMTO’s might take off, if that is indeed the case.
I know!!! That would be really nice. But maybe it was just a clerical error, I will confirm and update my post accordingly.

Shaunm88

Reaction score
If it was me, I’d just go back with 6 pairs and say I have them when you 6 people. Just saying that is how we got a current GMTO going. 12 is quite hard as a lot already have shows that you’ll probably want.

It depends who you ask at C&J. I’d eliminate the risk and not ask in case they tell you 12.

fernando526

Reaction score
If it was me, I’d just go back with 6 pairs and say I have them when you 6 people. Just saying that is how we got a current GMTO going. 12 is quite hard as a lot already have shows that you’ll probably want.

It depends who you ask at C&J. I’d eliminate the risk and not ask in case they tell you 12.
Exactly! I am afraid of getting stuck in limbo forever just to save a few dollars. I have already reached out to the guys and see if they’re willing to place the order or risk waiting a lot longer for 12 people.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just so you guys don’t begin relying on false hope, the truth is it’s not true that it depends on who you ask at C&J, the powers that be at the factory are the only one source that determine how many are required. Past experience has shown that retailers often tell customers that 6 is required, and it has turned out to be a false claim and the result is crushed dreams..lol.

It’s probably best to just ask Ms. Pernilla, and be done with all the speculation and rumors.

Shaunm88

Reaction score

Just so you guys don’t begin relying on false hope, the truth is it’s not true that it depends on who you ask at C&J, the powers that be at the factory are the only one source that determine how many are required. Past experience has shown that retailers often tell customers that 6 is required, and it has turned out to be a false claim and the result is crushed dreams..lol.

It’s probably best to just ask Ms. Pernilla, and be done with all the speculation and rumors.

I agree to this as a part, but we have a current GMTO with 6 pairs that should be getting shipped out this week or so. A nice whisky cordovan shoe Stijn organised and was delayed due to COVID. It was arranged through a store. We have also had some been turned away after getting 6. At one stage many years ago 6 was okay and the store stocked the other 6 which doesn’t seem to occur as much these days. I guess it does really depend on who you ask. Going back a few pages you will see a discussion about this.

I would “try” to get away with the 6 pairs without getting confirmation. “Risk it for the biscuit“ as a silly movie once said. Remembering “trying is the first step towards failure” which is a possible outcome here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree to this as a part, but we have a current GMTO with 6 pairs that should be getting shipped out this week or so. A nice whisky cordovan shoe Stijn organised and was delayed due to COVID. It was arranged through a store. We have also had some been turned away after getting 6. At one stage many years ago 6 was okay and the store stocked the other 6 which doesn’t seem to occur as much these days. I guess it does really depend on who you ask. Going back a few pages you will see a discussion about this.

I would “try” to get away with the 6 pairs without getting confirmation. “Risk it for the biscuit“ as a silly movie once said. Remembering “trying is the first step towards failure” which is a possible outcome here.
Thanks, I stand corrected. Now we need that same shop to get a 6 order going for a bourbon Islay. I’d be in!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks, I stand corrected. Now we need that same shop to get a 6 order going for a bourbon Islay. I’d be in!

Tempting. Has that ever been done before? I've seen brown shell islay but I dont think whiskey.

fernando526

Reaction score

I received confirmation regarding MTOs/GMTOs.

If someone wants to buy one pair (bringing back a discontinued model, etc.) you add 250GBP to the retail price of the shoe/boots. Let's say the dark brown Lindricks are 850GBP, well if you want to bring that style back - for one pair you will be paying 1100GBP (IncVAT). However, if you want a slight discount on that 250GBP MTO fee, you can order 6 pairs, so the price is cut by half - 125GBP for every pair. Therefore, the group of 6 people will be paying 975GB (IncVAT) for each shoe.

Next step, if you want to completely waive any MTO fees, you get 12 people (and go up in multiples of 6), but 12 is the minimum to get the MTO order fee fully waived. C&J is not stupid, they will not turn down business for 1 pair of MTOs or 6 pairs of GMTOs because of whatever SF rule someone came up with that has just been officially debunked. I am willing to pay the full 250GBP to make my custom order or bring back a style, would be nice to save 125GBP or completely have the fees waived. That's the information I was given.

Hopefully with this knowledge, people are not limited and waiting in limbo for 12 people. If they have the money and don't mind paying a partial 125GBP fee for 6 pairs, that could also be the way to go!

Last edited:

fernando526

Reaction score
Is this directly from C&J?
Correct. Those were the prices I was given.

Want one pair and not have depend to depend on other people? Be ready to pay an additional 250GBP.
Want a slight discount? Get 6 people and pay an additional 125GBP for every pair.
Want to completely waive all MTO fees and run the retail price? Get 12 people on board. But this is where many amazing GMTOs get stuck in limbo for months. It all depends on the group willing to pay up or take the risk to save a few coins (obviously not cheap haha).

puffy

Reaction score

Want one pair and not have depend to depend on other people? Be ready to pay an additional 250GBP.
Want a slight discount? Get 6 people and pay an additional 125GBP for every pair.
Want to completely waive all MTO fees and run the retail price? Get 12 people on board. But this is where many amazing GMTOs get stuck in limbo for months. It all depends on the group willing to pay up or take the risk to save a few coins (obviously not cheap haha).
250 quid is not bad at all. Comparing to 166 quid at JL, and I think EG is now 250-300 something.

Given C&J's lower RRP price wise it'll come out the winner.

EBernard

Reaction score

Thank you very much. I am getting slightly confused is the Galway 2 MTO still on or we shift to the Lidrick Bourbon?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads