• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Durability Query

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of C&J Handgrades (Audley) have finally broken in and I'm totally in love with them. I'm about to pull the trigger on several more pairs from Plal but I first want to know how durable C&J are...or to say it another way...how well do they age (assuming proper care)? Does anyone have any pics of regularly worn C&J that are several years old?

I'm visiting NYC in a few weeks and could either get one pair of EG/Lobb or (almost) THREE pairs of C&J handgrades from plal. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Glad you're enjoying your C&Js, but don't forget that the EG sale is coming up soon. You could (presumably) get two EGs for the price of the three C&Js. Just another option to consider.

The plot thickens
devil.gif

Well...I won't know my EG size until the end of December. When does the sale start?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Glad you're enjoying your C&Js, but don't forget that the EG sale is coming up soon. You could (presumably) get two EGs for the price of the three C&Js. Just another option to consider.

I posted this question on another thread . . . . When/where is the EG sale?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Audleys are going on 2.5 years and have survived plenty of walking and one soak in a rainstorm. They look fine to me.

pkincy

Reaction score
C&J are very fine shoes. I love mine but it is like an all star team. It is hard for them to get minutes sometime.

However in honor of C&J I think I will put them in the rotation for tomorrow.

I suppose your decision can be made by the current state of your shoe collection. If you really need 3 pair to round things out, get the C&Js. You will be very happy. If you can get by with 2 pair this winter, get the EGs and you will be ecstatic.

Perry

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oldest pair are a pair of benchgrade chelsea boots. Only one and a half years old or so but subjected to much worse treatment than they should - worn in rain, snow, alcohol, vomit, third world bathrooms, and foam; worn two days in a row if I didn't make it home; etc. - and they look great, since they receive proper nourishing. I msut have logged a couple hundred miles in them and they probably have a onefold way to go before needing to be resoled because of my tendency to wear down the toes. So several years of regular use in a medium sized rotation is perfectly reasonable. I can probably post pictures in a few days if necessary. My handgrades and other benchgrades that have undergone more standard conditions look excellent, too. I would personally choose the EGs for less hazardous use. However, they will spoil you.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

I suppose your decision can be made by the current state of your shoe collection. If you really need 3 pair to round things out, get the C&Js. You will be very happy. If you can get by with 2 pair this winter, get the EGs and you will be ecstatic.

Perry

This is sound advice. My shoe collection is VERY small...so I guess that answers my question.

I'd love to see some pics Whoopee if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
my c&j polo tellman has the leather sole peeling back from the toe revealing the channel a bit , this was due to the fact that i wore the shoes in a down pour one day last year.
but i have done this alot with other shoes just this particular pair i have this problem with.
albeit it may only be a small cosmetic problem, resulting in an AE sole, i still wish the leather overlap had a longer durability.

the uppers and wear is fantastic though.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
My EG size is the same as my C&J size. My EG trees even fit in my C&J shoes.

I don't know if it's just me but I wear US 8.5Es in EGs but my AE size is 8D. That may not seem so strange until you realise that my the EG size stamped on my shoes is a UK 8 - even though I wear UK 7 in C&Js, and JLs. I have never, ever come across anything before or since in which I could even dream of wearing a UK 8. But for some bizarre reason I can't even get my foot into an EG 7.5/8 (UK/US size) let alone a 7/7.5 size. I have tried and dearly wished I could wear my usual UK size of 7 in an EG.

Why?

Because APortnoy wears EG 8/8.5Es!!!!

pinchi22

Reaction score
My C&J Whitehalls (handgrades) have been durable - so far.

After a year in my rotation, the soles are somewhat worn as you´d expect, but the uppers and inside are holding up extremely well. I´d say the uppers are, so far, the most durable shoe I´ve had. They show no denting either, which may be due to the fact that they fit my feet really well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a pair of Weymouths for about a year and they're going strong. They shine up better than any other shoes in my closet. I probably won't be buying any more C&J Handgrades not because they're bad shoes, but because I don't like them as much as EG.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I have a really hard time getting my Weymouths shiny, but to the OP's point, they show very little wear after about 2 years in my rotation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics