• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Boot sizing advice

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was lurking until now. Thank you for a lot of insightful information :)
I have a sizing question regarding C&J Boots and I hope you could give me some advice:
Normally I have a 7,5 UK size. I bought a pair of Islays in 7,0 due to the advice of the sales agent in a C&J Store in Brussels. Back home I have some doubt about the sizing. It fits pretty snug.
I ordered a pair of Conistons and regarding the sizing there was a confusion with the conversion between UK and EU sizes. They delivered a 8 and 8,5 UK instead of 7,5 and 8. I tried on Conistons in size 7,5 and I had problems with the toe box anyway, so smaller might be not and option at all.
I know tried both models side to side today. Now to the question: Do you expect the boots to give in? I read that boots are constructed more sturdy and would not give in. If they do, the sie 7 would be ok. Now they are a bit too snug and I would wish for a little bit more space. However, the Conistons feel very comfortable. But if they give in, I would expect them to be a little bit too large. What also confuses me: The Islays look as if the toe cap construction would come out a bit (sorry for my english). I hope it is visible on the images. Is this normal or could it be a sign they are too small and the leather gets pushed up? The Conistons however, seem do "crease" (in lack of a better word) a bit much on the shaft. Could you please take a look at the photos and tell me if this is normal with these kind of boots? I know, remote fixing of size issues is problematic :)

Thank you very much
Gerd

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that it is useful to have room for thicker socks in winter and you could adjust with that, right? And I just found the edit button. Sorry for posting instead of editing.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I personally take the same size in Islay (365 last) and Coniston (325 last). C&J say the 365 is their most generous fitting last so not too surprising that if the 7 Islay feels snug not too surprising the Conistons in 7.5 is better for you.

Snug shoes will give in some but the problem is if they're too snug when new, you won't wear them in order to break them in.
I don't see a problem with the Islay toes.

The creasing around the ankles of the Conistons does look a bit excessive. But how they fit around your feet is the important bit.

BTW, there's a dedicated C&J thread in the Classic Menswear subforum.
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/quintessential-crockett-jones-thread-reviews-quality-etc.227575/

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
Thanks! The Coniston is an 8. I guess the 7,5 would not fit me, since the toe box is too narrow for me. I tried a Coniston 7,5 once and I had issues there. The amount of giving in is what actually worries me. Either the Islays will be fine and the Conistons will be too big. Or the other way around. Or maybe the Conistons won't give in because they are not "too snug"? Difficult decision...

FluffyGTX

Reaction score
The C&J Store will exchange them for a 7,5. I believe this will be the better choice. I am still puzzled about the Conistons though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads