• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That gif MADE your comment!
I'd like to see more peoples thoughts/experiences on the shell Marlow SWB lookalike C&J makes for BB now. Unless they're side by side, I feel like you can't tell the difference, and with the lower price of the BB version, it seems like they'd be a sure thing.

There are several notable differences.

1. The Last. The RL version is on the 325 and the BB the 240.
2. The Medallion.
3. The Welt. The RL version is Storm while the BB version is Flat.

So, yes. They are the same but different.

I have not decided which one I like more. I own the RL and am thinking about koping the BB as well...

fitzcooper

Reaction score
@Watchman1 You are quite welcome, sir. They are working out pretty well so far. The fit is not the best (a little big in the heel) but they work and I love the shade of brown shell. I usually like a storm welt but the flat welt works out great because I wear them for a more "business" business casual look. Plus if I'm really wearing casual clothes I'm pretty much wearing boots. Any questions, I will be happy to try to answer.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Watchman1 You are quite welcome, sir. They are working out pretty well so far. The fit is not the best (a little big in the heel) but they work and I love the shade of brown shell. I usually like a storm welt but the flat welt works out great because I wear them for a more "business" business casual look. Plus if I'm really wearing casual clothes I'm pretty much wearing boots. Any questions, I will be happy to try to answer.

Very Well.

Did you go with your Brannock size?

Thanks in advance!

fitzcooper

Reaction score
I got them in 8D. 8.5D was too big. I guess 8D is my Brannock, It's been a long time since I've been measured and I feel like my feet are getting bigger (fatter?). I wear 8D in most AE, 8D in Lindrick, Gianni. 7.5 UK in Carmina Simpson. 7 UK in Coniston (could have gotten 7.5 UK since I wear thicker socks). I forget if I take 7 or 7.5 UK in Trickers 4497. 7.5 Alden Van last.

Sorry, I'm not as good at this as most of you guys. Not "dialed in" per se. Hope this helps!

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Ton of color variation in these BB Marlows - the ones I just received are a much, much darker brown.

X-posted, but given the specific nature of this thread hope it's okay: which of these two would you keep? Peal boot and SWB:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not shell but just felt like posting my new CJ BB shoes! Sorry to impose.

Alpha11

Reaction score

Ton of color variation in these BB Marlows - the ones I just received are a much, much darker brown.

X-posted, but given the specific nature of this thread hope it's okay: which of these two would you keep? Peal boot and SWB:

I would keep both seeing you went through the trouble of ordering both. If not then it might be best to actually stop into the store and try them on and then decide on which one. That way it does not put strain on the inventory system of the retailer as someone might want the shoes you don't want but has to wait until you send it back. This is of course you have a BB in your city.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Alpha11 - thanks for your comments. Keeping both even at the generous sale prices I snagged them at feels excessive; I attempt to wear my shoes regularly, and don't participate in the secondary market. As such, one additional is what I'm allowing myself for now!
1f604.png

One thought: I understand your point (having read an earlier post you made regarding inventory and local stores), although my BB happened to be sold out of both shoes in my size. However, I must say I am not personally invested in BB's supply chain or inventory. I try to return things in a timely manner but at the end of the day I take care of myself and expect them to do the same.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which of these two would you keep? Peal boot and SWB:

I had the same conundrum the other day and chose the boot and am glad that I did.

However, the shoe is just as incredible.

Several instigating factors went into my choosing the boot:

1. My wife actually suggested them.
2. I did not have a #8 boot and "needed" a boot anyway.
3. Dainite soles are incredible.

Hope this helps.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, post those anywhere anytime.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Well Done Sir.

slows2k

Reaction score

Boy, thats a tough one.

If I could only have 1, I think it would have to be the boot. Dainite, color 8, the fact that it is slightly dressier IMO, I think its more versatile. The shoes are pretty hard to wear casually, but the boot I feel can be a bit more easily. But if theres ANY WAY you can keep both, do it. They're different enough they don't overlap in usage, and they're both beautiful.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1

Id lean boot just like most everyone else here. They are a great piece of footwear. I break the rules with mine an occasionally wear them with jeans and a week later Ill wear them with a suit. So versatile and the color 8 is a great versatile color for this.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, post those anywhere anytime. Congrats on the acquisition. Well Done Sir.
Unspoilered I never really got something like this and was curious as to how to wear these and who would wear them. Then, I saw it late the other night. I was watching tv and Seinfeld came on. Cosmo Kramer. He was wearing what looked to be these exact same shoes. Its amazing what one picks out after joining these forums. :)

Alpha11

Reaction score

Alpha11 - thanks for your comments. Keeping both even at the generous sale prices I snagged them at feels excessive; I attempt to wear my shoes regularly, and don't participate in the secondary market. As such, one additional is what I'm allowing myself for now!
1f604.png

One thought: I understand your point (having read an earlier post you made regarding inventory and local stores), although my BB happened to be sold out of both shoes in my size. However, I must say I am not personally invested in BB's supply chain or inventory. I try to return things in a timely manner but at the end of the day I take care of myself and expect them to do the same.

I have no issues with you nor your method and really appreciate your comments. I only want to bring to light the effect online shopping has on in store inventory. Additionally, how the multiple handling of high end goods effect the condition of the item when they are shipped back and forth through postal agencies.

If the store is sold out of an item then have them bring in for you and try them on in store. Not only should you save on postage if the store brings it in but, until it is purchase they can track the item because it is still in store.

Additionally, this cut down the opportunity for the item to get damaged as well as items being returned without the proper packaging. Not saying you would however, I have seen shoes I have had the store bring in missing the dusk bags, shoe care instructions and even sometime the original box. For an item that cost 700-1500 I want it to have everything the manufacturer intended me to have.

I have seen instances whereas I have had my SA bring in shoes for me that was missing packing or were damage in some way as they were online return items. On one occasion the shoes had to be sent back twice and then I had to wait 2mos to get ones that were not online returns. I was told by the SA that shoes like Edward Green, Alden, and even Peal& Co are made in limited runs and takes time to allocate more stock due to importing of goods.

My view is by no means absolute so there will be known opposing views. I accept this fact and make no assertions or judgment. If you are going to shop online make sure you ship it back rather than being it into a retail location.

Other than that I would still keep both as they each offer something different aesthetically.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads