• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, post those anywhere anytime.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Well Done Sir.

Thanks. Still trying to decide how exactly I will work them into my regular wardrobe. Obviously they're not an every day type of shoe.

I will say, this is my first pair of C&J and they're wonderfully made. I really like the natural edge with reverse welt, too.

Honestly, I would've also paid double for a pair of identical shoes that were all tan as well.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peal Boot
Ton of color variation in these BB Marlows - the ones I just received are a much, much darker brown.

X-posted, but given the specific nature of this thread hope it's okay: which of these two would you keep? Peal boot and SWB:

Peal boot for sure but I am biased.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Zzen

Reaction score
How does everyone normally size in the Peal boot? TTS?

Bleedblue

Reaction score
If you have a narrow foot you might be able to drop a half size. Otherwise, TTS in the boot feels right for me (8D Van, 8E PA).

The wingtip, I'm still not sure on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Uh oh. Am I buying boats accidentally? Any of the three above, what do you take in Barrie, or Van, or Park Ave?

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh oh. Am I buying boats accidentally? Any of the three above, what do you take in Barrie, or Van, or Park Ave?

I don't have anything in the lasts that you mentioned above, but my closest is either the AE Cambridge and Strand in shell that I wear in my Brannock size, 9D. I have a pair of Alden tassels in the Copley last in my Brannock size that I get a little heel slip in.

Zzen

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights all, it sounds like a fitting is in order. Unfortunately none of the stores in my area have a 10 or 10.5 in stock, the two sizes I'd be deciding between. BB CS did say I can work with a SA in store and have them pull from inventory to try the sizes on, which I may do after the holiday.

One other thing I wish I could get is a consensus on shell as a foul weather boot material. I read in places that it's more resilient and lower maintenance than calf, but then I also see people say it's a more fickle foul weather material with it's water spotting, etc. How does this specific Peal cordo boot hold up in the winter weather for you guys?

postal007

Reaction score

Thanks for the insights all, it sounds like a fitting is in order.  Unfortunately none of the stores in my area have a 10 or 10.5 in stock, the two sizes I'd be deciding between.  BB CS did say I can work with a SA in store and have them pull from inventory to try the sizes on, which I may do after the holiday.

One other thing I wish I could get is a consensus on shell as a foul weather boot material.  I read in places that it's more resilient and lower maintenance than calf, but then I also see people say it's a more fickle foul weather material with it's water spotting, etc.  How does this specific Peal cordo boot hold up in the winter weather for you guys?

BB has a pretty good return policy, so another method (in case you can outlay the credit) is to order both sizes online and then see which one fits better at home, and return the one that doesn't work.

As for foul weather, I can just speak to Cordovan in general, as I don't have extended experience with the Peal cordovan specifically (although it is Horoween cordovan so it should act similarly to my Aldens). Yes, the cordovan will like spot after water, as it does to most of my shell. However, the easiest way to get rid of this problem is to use Alden leather defender (should work fine on Peal). Here's a video of the application process. It's very easy to put on, and works well!

You can get it at many Alden outlets, including Leffot and the factory stores in SF, DC.

Alpha11

Reaction score

BB has a pretty good return policy, so another method (in case you can outlay the credit) is to order both sizes online and then see which one fits better at home, and return the one that doesn't work.

As for foul weather, I can just speak to Cordovan in general, as I don't have extended experience with the Peal cordovan specifically (although it is Horoween cordovan so it should act similarly to my Aldens). Yes, the cordovan will like spot after water, as it does to most of my shell. However, the easiest way to get rid of this problem is to use Alden leather defender (should work fine on Peal). Here's a video of the application process. It's very easy to put on, and works well!

You can get it at many Alden outlets, including Leffot and the factory stores in SF, DC.

Please just go into the store and have the SA bring them then try them on. It makes it much easier on both ends

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Please just go into the store and have the SA bring them then try them on. It makes it much easier on both ends

How in the hell is this easier for the consumer? And for that matter, how is it easier for BB?
Quite frankly, as a consumer I really don't care about making it easier for the business. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a burden, but if ordering two pairs of boots online and then returning one is such a hassle for the company perhaps they shouldn't offer it.
For me, ordering two pairs and then returning one is not a hassle at all. And with Shop Runner (free membership with just about all AmEx btw), I have them in 2 business days and return shipping is free.
I'm all for supporting B&M stores but not if it's more of a PITA for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads