Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Watchman1, Dec 16, 2015.

1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Thanks. Still trying to decide how exactly I will work them into my regular wardrobe. Obviously they're not an every day type of shoe.

I will say, this is my first pair of C&J and they're wonderfully made. I really like the natural edge with reverse welt, too.

Honestly, I would've also paid double for a pair of identical shoes that were all tan as well.

2. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

Peal Boot
    Peal boot for sure but I am biased. [​IMG]

3. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

How does everyone normally size in the Peal boot? TTS?

4. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

5. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Well-Known Member

If you have a narrow foot you might be able to drop a half size. Otherwise, TTS in the boot feels right for me (8D Van, 8E PA).

The wingtip, I'm still not sure on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I tried the Cordovan one on and it felt too big in my Brannock size.

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Yeah I am a half size down in the Peal Cordo Boot

8. postal007

postal007 Senior member

I'm also half a size down, at least on the Peal Cordovan boot I tried on.

9. Bleedblue

Bleedblue Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Am I buying boats accidentally? Any of the three above, what do you take in Barrie, or Van, or Park Ave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I don't have anything in the lasts that you mentioned above, but my closest is either the AE Cambridge and Strand in shell that I wear in my Brannock size, 9D. I have a pair of Alden tassels in the Copley last in my Brannock size that I get a little heel slip in.

11. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

I believe that when CJ makes boots in "Americano" sizes they add a bit of room to them somehow.

Perhaps @NAMOR could enlighten us further as to this phenomenon.

Thanks.

12. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insights all, it sounds like a fitting is in order. Unfortunately none of the stores in my area have a 10 or 10.5 in stock, the two sizes I'd be deciding between. BB CS did say I can work with a SA in store and have them pull from inventory to try the sizes on, which I may do after the holiday.

One other thing I wish I could get is a consensus on shell as a foul weather boot material. I read in places that it's more resilient and lower maintenance than calf, but then I also see people say it's a more fickle foul weather material with it's water spotting, etc. How does this specific Peal cordo boot hold up in the winter weather for you guys?

13. postal007

postal007 Senior member

BB has a pretty good return policy, so another method (in case you can outlay the credit) is to order both sizes online and then see which one fits better at home, and return the one that doesn't work.

As for foul weather, I can just speak to Cordovan in general, as I don't have extended experience with the Peal cordovan specifically (although it is Horoween cordovan so it should act similarly to my Aldens). Yes, the cordovan will like spot after water, as it does to most of my shell. However, the easiest way to get rid of this problem is to use Alden leather defender (should work fine on Peal). Here's a video of the application process. It's very easy to put on, and works well!

You can get it at many Alden outlets, including Leffot and the factory stores in SF, DC.

14. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

Please just go into the store and have the SA bring them then try them on. It makes it much easier on both ends

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

How in the hell is this easier for the consumer? And for that matter, how is it easier for BB?
    Quite frankly, as a consumer I really don't care about making it easier for the business. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a burden, but if ordering two pairs of boots online and then returning one is such a hassle for the company perhaps they shouldn't offer it.
    For me, ordering two pairs and then returning one is not a hassle at all. And with Shop Runner (free membership with just about all AmEx btw), I have them in 2 business days and return shipping is free.
    I'm all for supporting B&M stores but not if it's more of a PITA for me.