• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this Shoe Tree

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please give me your opinions of this shoe tree:

Attachment 23510

I have about four pairs of these I got for $8.99 a pair. But I'd like to know if they suck or not. They fit my shoes okay but as you can see, they aren't split toe and they don't have the full heel.

So bottom line is: will they do the job?

Using them on Allen Edmonds (lasts 8, 0, and 2) size 8.5 D

mouseandcat

Reaction score
i suppose they will, assuming the shoe tree toe will fit the toe box of your 8.5D shoes. as far as not having the full heel, i like it with the full heel. springs tend to be strong in shoe trees and i don't like the way it makes my heel stretch legnthwise. i only had one pair like yours before i switched to costco trees (9.5-10D for me, so they work). http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=114899

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Much better off with a split toe/claw back. Fuller in the vamp and heel. Eaiser to insert and remove. About 20 bucks.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I also wear 8.5D. I swear by these in the Medium size. I have them in 99% of my shoes.

With the shoebuy membership and their regular 20% off coupons, these trees can be had for a little over $20.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by halpap
Do all Costco's carry shoe trees? I have never noticed them in mine.

Not all, and they're not getting any more. If you're interested, best to call around to a few local stores. I think I heard they are down to $8 for 2 pair.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Much better off with a split toe/claw back. Fuller in the vamp and heel. Eaiser to insert and remove. About 20 bucks.

Yes I understand this point, but will the ones I bought do the job?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The ones you bought will do the job, but they might not do the job as well as a full-heeled model or a split-toe model. This is because a split-toed model helps adjust itself to fill the shoe, and a full heel better fills the heel section while also minimizing stretching at, or stress on, the heel.

The reason I strongly recommend split-toed trees is that, unless you're getting a tree designed specifically for a given last, trees have to be one-size-fits-all. The best way to approach one-size-fits-all is to go with a tree that can adjust to various sizes and shapes to whatever extent possible. I've even seen some split-toe, split-heel shoe trees out there -- but in my opinion, that's overkill.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
I have a variety of tree styles. The funny thing is that on some of my shoes that are narrower through the toe box (i.e. AE Thayer) , I find my cheap Johnston and Murphy's do a better job. They're the ones with a claw back and a spongy triangular, single-piece toe. My split toes trees don't fill as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads