• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this noob's jacket fit please

salty

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a definite noobie when it comes to buying formal clothing (in the sense of being more formal than jeans and t-shirts) and until a year ago had never even owned a suit. However I'm trying to expand my mind and wardrobe to include some nicer clothing and have been lurking on this forum for a little while now to try to learn the basics.

I have a Christmas party to attend with my lady and wanted to purchase something to wear with my newly-gained knowledge. I picked out a jacket and trousers and am looking for opinions on the fit, particularly of the jacket. My lady has basically nixed the jacket on the basis of color, but when I go back to look for another I would like to know if I should be looking for a similar fit or for something else. The shoulders feel better than any of the many jackets I tried on, but I do see some creases in the chest which I'm not sure should be there. Any feedback that could be provided would be of great benefit to me and highly appreciated, even on the color combination if you wish.

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photo, if you would like to see different angles please let me know and I will get them ASAP.

For reference, the jacket is a 36R and the pants are a 32 waist.

Thank you all!

salty

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
seems a smidgen tight at the waist, not my style but that does not matter. I would only suggest that you not buy one with that contrast/white thread at the lapel hole (nor any of the buttonholes) and that you take off the label that comes attached to the outer sleeve. I know the label is there because you are returning it, but too many people do not realize that once you own the jacket, that sleeve label needs to come off.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
seems a smidgen tight at the waist, not my style but that does not matter. I would only suggest that you not buy one with that contrast/white thread at the lapel hole (nor any of the buttonholes) and that you take off the label that comes attached to the outer sleeve. I know the label is there because you are returning it, but too many people do not realize that once you own the jacket, that sleeve label needs to come off.

I did not know that.

This jacket needs some shoulder/collar work. The shoulder is putting pressure on your shoulder points due to the slope of the jacket shoulder and the collar does not fit close enough to your neck. Fixing this will clean up the pulling at the waist.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black tape at the edges and the square flaps look hideous. Some attention is needed to the shoulders.

Your shirt sleeves are too long.

I'd return both promptly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads