• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my workout

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Thanks, I could definitely see that working. That's really not that much more gym time every day, which is what I'm trying to avoid. See, I don't really enjoy the gym (granted mine is a *************, and I should look for a different one), so I just want to get in and out. A question: what kinds of variations would you suggest to switch things up every so often, and would you recommend really heavy weights, or just enough so I feel like I'm working?
Good variations would be replacing a bench with a stability ball and/or replacing a barbell with dumbbells, changing bench to incline/decline, doing wide rows instead of close grip rows, wide lat behind instead of close grip anterior, etc. You could also undulate your load, do one week at 3x10 and the next week at 5x5. When I tell you 3 x 10, in most cases (and in this case) what that means is that you're going to do enough weight with good technique where you are unable finish your last set, failing on the 9th or 10th rep. The weight which you can do for 10 reps and no more is considered your "10 RM", so 3 x 10 would be roughly done at your 10 RM weight. When I say I undulate to 5x5, I'm doing a heavier weight which I can't do much more than 5 times.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyea
i wouldn't say that abs are a waste of time. abs play an important role in stabilizing the lower back. although i agree with you that they're not fun to do.

gyea has the correct. Not so much American-Psycho style abs, but general core/stability is extremely important

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyea
i wouldn't say that abs are a waste of time. abs play an important role in stabilizing the lower back. although i agree with you that they're not fun to do.
So build them in the manner their going to be used. Squats and deadlifts where you have to stabilize the midline. Crunches don't do that

Originally Posted by whacked
In that case, CrossFit is for you. Look up the link I provided above.
Do it.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Ok, then keep your diet the same, do your cardio 3x a week/60 minutes, and do 3x/week full body workouts.

Something like 4-6 sets per body part, go compound lifts where ever you can: I might do it like this, you could too but it depends on your experience level and strength:

Powercleans 3 x 10
Bench 4 x 10
Squat 4 x 10 (or weighted lunges)
Close grip anterior pulldown 3 x 10
Free motion Lat Pulldown 3 x 10 (or maybe Row 3 x 10)
Bicep curl-to-arnold press 3 x 10
deep single leg press 3 x 10

Another question: I really haven't worked with someone who can show me the right form for all fo those exercises, and the trainers at my gym seem pretty brainless. Any problem starting out with the ones I do know (bench, squat, pulldowns/rows), and working my way up to doing all of them in one workout once a) I know how, and, b) am a little stronger?

Also, what's the deep single leg press, and how do the two pulldowns mentioned differ in motion? Thanks again, if a full-body workout is the best way to the results I want, this one seems very doable for a non-"super gym dude."

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The advice to check out Starting Strength was bang on.

Here's the link.

lefty

gyea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
So build them in the manner their going to be used. Squats and deadlifts where you have to stabilize the midline. Crunches don't do that

Do it.

Well of course squats and deads will help build your core, but i'm just saying ab work in addition to compound movements are not a waste of time. some have weak cores that don't allow to go heavy on squats. they get sandwiched or good morning the squat. so, extra ab work might be beneficial to them. if you're worried that crunches aren't effective, do ab pulldowns, which somewhat simulates the squat movement.

it's almost saying that tricep work is a waste of time, because you can just bench all day. but if you're benching with a wide grip, and you can't lock out because of weak triceps, just doing bench isn't going to cut it.

in the end, you can build a very strong core with just compound movements, but supplemental ab work will greatly help in the long run.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Powercleans 3 x 10
Bench 4 x 10
Squat 4 x 10 (or weighted lunges)
Close grip anterior pulldown 3 x 10
Free motion Lat Pulldown 3 x 10 (or maybe Row 3 x 10)
Bicep curl-to-arnold press 3 x 10
deep single leg press 3 x 10

or something like that- as you can see you aren't doing a million exercises but you will definitely be doing work. Finish it off with abs, try crunches with your legs bent at 90 degrees and shins parallel to the floor, holding a medicine ball between your shoes. V-ups, bicycles for 1 minute, body plank lifting alternating hands and keeping your hips and shoulders level, contra-lateral leg/arm lifts, and maybe 2 minutes of wall sits... If you really need more specifics I'd could make you a strength training routine.

So I tried a mini version of the full body workout tonight, and I really liked it. Just as many exercises as my usual workout, but with a lot more variation, that didn't leave one area feeling super tired at the end. I did:

dumbell incline press: 3x10@50lbs/hand
squat: 3x10@150lbs
back-ups (not sure the technical name, but where you are on a bench that allows you to lift from your lower back, sort of sit-ups for your back): 3x15
dumbell row w/twist: 3x10@20lbs/hand
barbell curls: 3x8@40lbs

So, I'll have to up the intensity a bit, and I want to add another good core exercise at the very least (once I have someone help me with form), but all in all, once I build up to a better collection of exercises, and heavier weights, I think this will work nicely.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Another question: I really haven't worked with someone who can show me the right form for all fo those exercises, and the trainers at my gym seem pretty brainless. Any problem starting out with the ones I do know (bench, squat, pulldowns/rows), and working my way up to doing all of them in one workout once a) I know how, and, b) am a little stronger?

Also, what's the deep single leg press, and how do the two pulldowns mentioned differ in motion? Thanks again, if a full-body workout is the best way to the results I want, this one seems very doable for a non-"super gym dude."

Nope, feel free to start with the ones you know- just make sure you're representing all the muscle groups in a balanced way.

The deep single leg press is where you do a leg press with 1 instead of two legs. Place your foot higher on the sled (near the top) and flex it on the way down to about 90 degrees. Going deep on these will activate your hamstrings and glutes as well as the quads.

The two pulldowns are different in that one of them uses the small handle which looks two V's where there are two bars which attach the V's together creating a close double grip. You will lean back lightly, keeping a neutral spine, and pull the handle towards the top of your chest. The other one would be using a "free motion" machine, and it's a little more complicated but it basically isolates the lats very well. Comparably you could just use a wide lat-pulldown bar and bring it behind your shoulders.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So I tried a mini version of the full body workout tonight, and I really liked it. Just as many exercises as my usual workout, but with a lot more variation, that didn't leave one area feeling super tired at the end. I did:

dumbell incline press: 3x10@50lbs/hand
squat: 3x10@150lbs
back-ups (not sure the technical name, but where you are on a bench that allows you to lift from your lower back, sort of sit-ups for your back): 3x15
dumbell row w/twist: 3x10@20lbs/hand
barbell curls: 3x8@40lbs

So, I'll have to up the intensity a bit, and I want to add another good core exercise at the very least (once I have someone help me with form), but all in all, once I build up to a better collection of exercises, and heavier weights, I think this will work nicely.

your "back-up" would be called a "back extension" because you are extending the spine. I could not recommend doing barbell curls alone like that- try doing dumbell curls with an arnold shoulder press (or just regular shoulder press) at the top so you can work more muscles. Since you're expressly doing a biceps exercise, you also need to now find a triceps exercise, hopefully compound, in the interest of balance. I would recommend supine triceps extension with a barbell with 10 close-gripped bench presses using the same weight after each set.

1sinister1

Reaction score
Please do me a favor. If you are intending to do squats please go to 90 or below. Nothing worse than when I see a guy "squatting" and only going down a couple inches. Make sure you get the full ROM.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could not recommend doing barbell curls alone like that- try doing dumbell curls with an arnold shoulder press (or just regular shoulder press) at the top so you can work more muscles.

Wow, good call on these! I tried doing dumbell curls yesterday with a shoulder press at the top, and only made 3x5 with 25lbs in each hand (20s were missing), but almost 36hrs later both shoulders are still stiff (in the good way).

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Glad to hear it!
smile.gif
Another good one is a squat with dumbells in each hand, and then explode up to a push-press with the dumbells.

adversity04

Reaction score
Glad to hear it!
smile.gif
Another good one is a squat with dumbells in each hand, and then explode up to a push-press with the dumbells.

Oh thrusters.....after doing my first workout with those and sumo deadlift high pulls back to back rounds for time I couldn't walk right for three days. You're going to kill the kid
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads