• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my J Crew cotton suit UPDATE: CAN I PULL OFF MY NEW RLBL SUIT?

garmis

Reaction score
Okay, I have never really been happy with this suit because of the action going on in the back area. It is the fine stripe cotton Aldridge suit from J Crew in a 40R and 33/30 pant. I had nothing tailored OTR save sleeve length and inseam, thinking the suit fit me okay at the time. I have always loved the material and the color, but I am incredibly naive when it comes to the shoulder/back fit of suiting and obviously something is amiss here (I cannot simply attribute the folds in the material to the cotton, there are just too many right?). Thought I would post a couple of pictures now so I don't make the same mistake in the future. More than likely I will post it for sale here. Thanks in advance for your input! Greg
DSC02090.JPG
DSC02092.JPG
UPDATE: Got the RLBL in the mail today, of course I am impressed with the quality but I am not sure if the fit will work for me. Snapped two quick photos of the jacket, what should be done besides the sleeves (obviously?). I think I could use a bit of waist suppression however this may exacerbate the pulling at the back of the jacket. Any input would be much appreciated!
DSC02126.JPG
DSC02127.JPG
DSC02128.JPG
DSC02129.JPG
DSC02130.JPG

chiamdream

Reaction score
Are you holding your hands in front of you? That makes it hard to determine what's up with the sleeve length. The sleeves might be too short. The stacks suggest that the pants might be a little long, but you're wearing sneakers, so it might be okay with lower-profile dress shoes. The shoulders look about right.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
there is literally not a single good thing to say about this suit

I looked at this thread, thought about it, and didn't even know where to start.

garmis

Reaction score
yikes, never really put myself on the chopping block--now I know what it's like. Obviously the suit fits poorly, I'm just wondering why.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To start, the whole thing is somewhat tight. Cotton and linen suits work best when worn a little looser. Seriously though, I think a big part of the problem is your posture. If you pulled your shoulders back, things would probably look better. Specifically, the back vent would pull less and the fit would be less droopy in the shoulders. Is there any material to be taken out around the crotch/upper thigh of the pants? The tightness there is pretty unflattering.

All in all, though, I think you just might be better suited (no pun intended) by something darker.

garmis

Reaction score
Yes, very weird is right. The pants look absurd (hell so does the jacket)--perhaps I can attribute this to the bunchiness of the cotton? It tends to wrinkle rather than drape, so indeed perhaps this is just too small for me. Keep in mind I have massive 25-26 inch thighs, so perhaps J Crew's 'classic fit' is too slim for me.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That cut doesn't work for you I think is the issue. You can't really size up anymore on the jacket unless you want to alter the shoulders (which on this coat is actually a possibility), and the pants you should size up and take the waist in a little. But honestly, I think you should try a different cut.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmis
Yes, very weird is right. The pants look absurd (hell so does the jacket)--perhaps I can attribute this to the bunchiness of the cotton? It tends to wrinkle rather than drape, so indeed perhaps this is just too small for me. Keep in mind I have massive 25-26 inch thighs, so perhaps J Crew's 'classic fit' is too slim for me.

I have a true 31.5" waist and 24" thighs and chinos/dress pants fit me better than anything. Your thighs aren't an excuse considering those are 33/30's...which with Jcrew that usually means the pants measure a true 35" in the waist.

rjacobs

Reaction score
it seems to me like it's actually the "right" size - it just looks, and drapes, like a burlap sack. not worth tailoring imo - can you sell/donate and start anew?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket can be fixed, but the pants won't work even with tailoring. Can you return them? Maybe sell on B&S?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads