• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique + Advice for suit

Snebbu

Reaction score
So, first of all, I'll just start by saying hello to everyone, since this is in fact the first time I'm posting here. I've been reading a lot of posts these past few days (including the entire What Are You Wearing Today? thread, and Watch p0rn thread, yes I've had quite some spare time), and I feel that now it's probably time to introduce myself and start with a pretty standard but still quite important thread.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1286214978

So, right now this is the only suit that I actually own, (I'm 18 years old and still in secondary school, and though I'm hoping to buy some new sports coats soon, suits are still not really necessary for me). First of all I was wondering whether there are any faults here that need to be dealt with? I am aware of the length of the pants, but beyond that? And please don't mind the shoes, I didn't really have any proper ones at the time of the picture being taken. Oh, and the suit is from Carl Gross, I picked it up with a pretty nice discount.

Furthermore I could use some advice / inspiration as to what I could wear (shirt + tie) with this? In about 2 months I will have the school gala, and I feel like I need a new shirt and tie for the occasion. To that I would like to add that despite it being a gala, it isn't a custom here to actually wear a tux, most people just wear sneakers with some overly large suit they borrowed from their fathers. So going beyond the black/white spectrum is no problem, and I'd actually like to have some color in there.

I'd like to end with saying that hopefully I'll come to learn a lot from all of the posters here, for I still have a lot to learn!

- Ubbens

PS: I have no idea why I can't include the picture in the post itself, anyone knows how to fix it?

HPress

Reaction score
I think you look good. Keep the bottom button undone though. And maybe pull up your pants a bit. I can't really tell what your right lapel is up to. Perhaps if you posted another picture we can criticize you (and your shoes) more.
smile.gif
Finally, I think the collar is a little to big relative to your build and the size of the jacket's lapels. These are all minor things though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undo that bottom button. The lapels are buckling outward but that may stop with only one button done up.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket seems to fit well enough.

There shouldn't be much extra material at the end of tapered trouser legs like that. So get them shortened.

Never button the second button on a two-button jacket. Blame Henry VIII.

That knot is too big for such a slim tie. Go with a four-in-hand.

Shirt collar looks slightly too roomy.

Snebbu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! As to the bottom button being closed, at the time the picture was taken, I had absolutely no clue that this was the rule. I do now of course.
I just made 2 new pics, though it was a bit difficult with the current lighting to get some nice quality pics with my iPhone (the suit being black doesn't really help either), so I'm not sure how much this will help. I have my bottom button unbuttoned, I've redid my tie knot to a Prince Albert knot, and raised my trousers too. I was indeed wearing them too low in the first picture, (I blame the trend of the youth wearing their trousers till their knees, to which I sadly participated also when I was younger). You can see my new tie knot from nearby in the second screenshot.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1286219020

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1286219038

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one part of me wants to tell you to go out, rock jeans and have fun.

the other part of me is envious you are being introduced to great advice about men's tailored clothing fit and style at such a young age.

maybe you can mix the two ...

HPress

Reaction score
The pants still look a bit off. Are they too big at the waist? Do they bunch when you tighten your belt?

Now, that tie and shirt does not look good with the suit. Both the tie and the collar are too "heavy" for you. You're slim and so is the suit with its cut and narrow lapels. The tie on the other hand is wide and loud and the collar is too big.

For this gala, I would probably go with a white shirt and a slim black tie. But you can be more creative if you want.

Here's a tip for the long term. As you browse the internet, save pictures of looks that you like. That'll give you ideas and points of comparison for your outfits.

Snebbu

Reaction score
niidawg: Yeah, usually when I go to school I do wear jeans, or casual khaki's. People would look at me very weirdly if I actually were to wear some nice pair of trousers, or come to school with a sports coat and a tie (let alone a pocket square added to that). So I prefer to just avoid the mostly negative attention and dress more casual. I always tuck in my shirts though, and I never wear t-shirts+hoodies like 99% of the people at high school do. V-neck sweaters are also pretty common in my day-to-day wear. But as I am growing older, and get to deal with higher class adult people more often as a result, I am feeling the need to actually learn about all things sartorial to be larger. Besides, with the current income I have, it will probably take years before I'll actually have a wardrobe which will satisfy my wishes.

(And I would just like to add that I have greatly enjoyed browsing through your outfits in the WAYRN thread niidawg!)

HPres: Thanks again for your feedback. The pants of my suit fit me fine at the waist, I don't need a belt for the practical reasons nor do they bunch when I am wearing one. Though I understand what you mean when you say it looks off. And thanks for the shirt+tie suggestions, I was thinking of buying a classic spread collar, or perhaps even a shirt with an english spread collar. I'll probably have to see which one look best on me in the store itself.

And I have actually created a folder designated for pictures of looks which I like. It's pretty empty still, but I'm sure that as I'll browse this forum it will fill up over time.

Thanks again for your advice!

HPress

Reaction score
Yep you don't want to be overdressed for school. It just looks silly (despite what people here seem to think) and has nothing to do with being stylish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads