• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cover Coat help/suggestions

icehawk21

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am considering purchasing a covert coat as a general purpose overcoat. I need an overcoat that I can wear with a number of different outfits: wool trousers, cotton dress shirt and dress shoes (standard outfit for work), a suit with or without a tie, or dressed down with jeans and dress shirt/sweater combo. I also need a versatile overcoat that I can wear in the fall/spring and during "warmer" days in winter. I live in Calgary (Canada) and winter temperatures can get pretty low, but they generally hover around 20 degrees fahrenheit. After some research I believe a covert coat would be appropriate. I also like the style of the coats.

I'm currently considering the covert coats from TM Lewin (approx. $300 CDN) and Charles Tyrwhitt (approx. $400 CDN). I was hoping some of you could answer a couple of questions:

1) Would you recommend the TM Lewin or the Charles Tyrwhitt covert coat? Why? I'm leaning towards the TM Lewin for 2 reasons: lower cost and no velvet collar (not sure if the velvet collar would look as good dressed down with jeans). Thoughts?

2) What "weight" are these coats - i.e. 14 oz.? Are these made of the traditional covert (twill) fabric or some other wool?

3) What temperature would you consider too cold to wear these coats?

4) Do you think they are versatile enough to wear dressed up (i.e suit) and dressed down (i.e. jeans)?

5) If purchasing a single coat, what color would be most versatile? CT sells charcoal and fawn (with velvet collar)) while Lewin sells beige (sans velvet collar).

6) Are these coats cut with a slimmer silhouette or are they boxier?

7) Would you recommend buying your usual suit size (42r in my case) or would you size up/down? (Please provide the coat measurements if you know them.)

I realize I've asked quite a few questions. I'm simply looking to solicit some general feedback on these coats to help make a decision.

As a point, I have looked at other manufacturers (i.e. Cordings, New & Lingwood) but they are 2-3 times the cost and I'm not really interested in spending that much - although I'd consider it if the quality is really that much better.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) and 2) I'm not familiar with the TML but I've had the CT for a few years and it is quite light weight - somewhere between winter suiting and overcoat fabric weights.
3) it really depends on the rest of the outfit but it's not really warm.
4) yes
5) beige/fawn more versatile IMO if you are planning on wearing with jeans too
6) the CT I have is not very slim but not boxy either. It's cut to accomodate a suit underneath
7) depends on whether you plan to wear on top of a suit/sport coat. If yes, usual size. If not, consider sizing down

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also have the CT coat. I like it, but the cut isn't ideal for me. The shoulders are broad enough to accomodate a suit/coat underneath, but the body runs a bit slim for that. I can button it, but the effect is a bit more snug than I'd like. I probably should have sized up to a 40, but liked the slimmer cut for casual purposes.

As gld said, it's not a cold-weather coat. I wear mine mostly in the fall, and on balmier days in the winter.

As far as the velvet collar, I love mine and would not consider a covert coat without one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads