Cotton suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I know cotton suit is "in" this year, but in terms of sartorial style stand point, do you guys say yai or nay to cotton suits for spring/summer?

Is bespoke cotton suit worth it?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Yay and it depends. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, I wouldn't get a bespoke cotton suit from your normal guy. It may be worth using a cheaper traveling tailor, or a MTM place (not sure what your options are).

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

Yay, yay a thousand times yay!

My next Chan commission is gonna be a tan cotton suit. A classic for spring/summer with a light blue shirt and brown brougues. Ben Silver also sells one that is a cotton/cashmere blend made by Acuascutum, but at a price point higher than what Chan charges.

All that being said, I think it should be like your 10th suit or so, not in your top 5 rotation.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I don't like all cotton but I would get a suit in a cotton/silk or cotton/cashmere blend. I would also play up the styling a bit (SB, peak lapels, side vents and a funky lining).

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

10/90 cotton/cashmere blend. I saw a navy suit of this by Kiton in Monaco. Probably worth a return visit.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

10/90 cotton/cashmere blend. I saw a navy suit of this by Kiton in Monaco. Probably worth a return visit.
    I had a suit in this fabric from Kiton (90 cotton - 10 cashmere). It is NOT worth the return visit. It wears extremely hot. I actually do not like cotton suits. I wold prefer linen or topical wool. At least those two fabrics help keep you cool.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I couldn't agree more with Matt. Give me a fine tropical wool over a cotton anyday. They breath way better and they don't look like hell in 10 mintues.

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I had a suit in this fabric from Kiton (90 cotton - 10 cashmere). It is NOT worth the return visit. It wears extremely hot. I actually do not like cotton suits. I wold prefer linen or topical wool. At least those two fabrics help keep you cool.

Thanks, Matt! I wasn't sure of its durability, so I went for 100 linen.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

plus, wool drapes a lot better. I can't stand cotton pants because they just don't drape like wool.

10. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

what do y'all think of 100% silk suits? are they too much of a pain to maintain?

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I asked about silk pants a while back. I had some on order but i cancelled them and switched to a really light super 130s wool. The general consensus was that they would look nice, but not be particularly comfortable to wear in the summer heat.

Personally, I don't like the look of 100% silk suits. They're just too lustrous to be covered from top to bottom in. I would do a silk odd jacket or silk pants matched with a different fabric, but not a silk suit.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

what do y'all think of 100% silk suits? are they too much of a pain to maintain?

My guess is that yes, it would be. I have a suit that is a wool-silk blend, half-lined. Creases soooo maddeningly much. WHich is a pity as I really like it [​IMG] I would imagne that an all-silk suit would be a huge pain to maintain. I am sure someone else has better info though.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Its a specialty suit. It depends on the type and quality of silk and your uses for it. If it is cleaned well and steam pressed etc.

If you have 30 suits, then go for it. Its a matter of wardrobe size and lifestyle. For me, I doubt if Id ever get one to work in, it is too much of a distraction in NYC.

For evening, silk sports coats and suits are hip.

I like the dupioni ones. A medium grey for a suit, and a dove grey for a sports coat. However there are a host of colors that are good, including many shades of blue. This one place had a color chart with so many nice shades of navy from a midnight to a medium.

If the silk is the best quality and light enough in weight it is comfortable, otherwise they can be hot and slippery. Still it wont be as comfortable as a good tropical wool or fresco cloth.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Re: cotton suits - I have one MTM and get a fair bit of use out of it. They're easier to maintain a clean look in than linen if you're not a huge fan of the "charmingly rumpled" look (it doesn't suit me), while remaining cool in summer. I recommend them.

Re: silk suits - I don't own one yet but am thinking about getting one. I don't expect to wear it frequently but it's another option to have in the wardrobe and should be fun.

15. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Please do not hijack the thread.