• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton suit

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know cotton suit is "in" this year, but in terms of sartorial style stand point, do you guys say yai or nay to cotton suits for spring/summer?

Is bespoke cotton suit worth it?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yay and it depends. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, I wouldn't get a bespoke cotton suit from your normal guy. It may be worth using a cheaper traveling tailor, or a MTM place (not sure what your options are).

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay, yay a thousand times yay!

My next Chan commission is gonna be a tan cotton suit. A classic for spring/summer with a light blue shirt and brown brougues. Ben Silver also sells one that is a cotton/cashmere blend made by Acuascutum, but at a price point higher than what Chan charges.

All that being said, I think it should be like your 10th suit or so, not in your top 5 rotation.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10/90 cotton/cashmere blend. I saw a navy suit of this by Kiton in Monaco. Probably worth a return visit.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
10/90 cotton/cashmere blend. I saw a navy suit of this by Kiton in Monaco. Probably worth a return visit.
I had a suit in this fabric from Kiton (90 cotton - 10 cashmere). It is NOT worth the return visit. It wears extremely hot. I actually do not like cotton suits. I wold prefer linen or topical wool. At least those two fabrics help keep you cool.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with Matt. Give me a fine tropical wool over a cotton anyday. They breath way better and they don't look like hell in 10 mintues.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I had a suit in this fabric from Kiton (90 cotton - 10 cashmere). It is NOT worth the return visit. It wears extremely hot. I actually do not like cotton suits. I wold prefer linen or topical wool. At least those two fabrics help keep you cool.

Thanks, Matt! I wasn't sure of its durability, so I went for 100 linen.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plus, wool drapes a lot better. I can't stand cotton pants because they just don't drape like wool.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I asked about silk pants a while back. I had some on order but i cancelled them and switched to a really light super 130s wool. The general consensus was that they would look nice, but not be particularly comfortable to wear in the summer heat.

Personally, I don't like the look of 100% silk suits. They're just too lustrous to be covered from top to bottom in. I would do a silk odd jacket or silk pants matched with a different fabric, but not a silk suit.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
what do y'all think of 100% silk suits? are they too much of a pain to maintain?

My guess is that yes, it would be. I have a suit that is a wool-silk blend, half-lined. Creases soooo maddeningly much. WHich is a pity as I really like it
confused.gif
I would imagne that an all-silk suit would be a huge pain to maintain. I am sure someone else has better info though.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
what do y'all think of 100% silk suits? are they too much of a pain to maintain?

Its a specialty suit. It depends on the type and quality of silk and your uses for it. If it is cleaned well and steam pressed etc.

If you have 30 suits, then go for it. Its a matter of wardrobe size and lifestyle. For me, I doubt if Id ever get one to work in, it is too much of a distraction in NYC.

For evening, silk sports coats and suits are hip.

I like the dupioni ones. A medium grey for a suit, and a dove grey for a sports coat. However there are a host of colors that are good, including many shades of blue. This one place had a color chart with so many nice shades of navy from a midnight to a medium.

If the silk is the best quality and light enough in weight it is comfortable, otherwise they can be hot and slippery. Still it wont be as comfortable as a good tropical wool or fresco cloth.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: cotton suits - I have one MTM and get a fair bit of use out of it. They're easier to maintain a clean look in than linen if you're not a huge fan of the "charmingly rumpled" look (it doesn't suit me), while remaining cool in summer. I recommend them.

Re: silk suits - I don't own one yet but am thinking about getting one. I don't expect to wear it frequently but it's another option to have in the wardrobe and should be fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads