1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cotton suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

My best summer suit is an emergency purchase I made in a small shop in Venice - it's called Mauro Krieger (never heard of the brand, before or since), and it's a 52% linen, 40% wool and 8% cashmere mix, according to the label. 3SB, patch side and breast pockets, cuffs and a narrow herringbone weave.

Judging from the amount of abuse the suit's taken (weddings, garden parties, just parties, wearing the jacket with jeans in summer), it's kept up impressively well.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

Please do not hijack the thread.

Um, sorry, - to get back on topic, I had a khaki cooton suit once, it was OTR and far from top quality - I have to say, though, that it could take some abuse. The drawback was that cotton looks rumpled in about 20 minutes, and not in the stylish way linen creases.

I'd rather get a lightweight linen/wool mix.

3. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

plus, wool drapes a lot better. I can't stand cotton pants because they just don't drape like wool.

But isn't that the whole point of a cotton suit? I mean a tan cotton suit is like apples and oranges from a wool suit. To me it screams: It's summer, it's hot, I have the balls and the knowledge to pull this off.

Tan cotton suits evoke for me images of rum collinses and palm trees. Wool doesn't do that for me.

I guess my point is they are great, but for very limited situations.

4. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior Member

If you do not have a lot of discretionary income, I would stick with tropical worsted wool.

M8

5. darkoak

darkoak Senior Member

Please do not hijack the thread.

Sorry Milano. Back to your question, if I were you I'd just get cotton suits from a middle of the road maker. It's possible to get a decent one for less than $500. Heck if you're not sure about cotton suits at all you could spend $129 at Syms for a decent Haspel cotton suit, wear it for one season, and if you like the look and feel of cotton you can upgrade next year.

6. ceestand

ceestand Member

Funny this came up, I am planning on wearing my new cotton suit for the first time tomorrow. I don't consider it a full-on summer suit, I agree with previous posters that the cotton is deceptively warm.

As the suit is cotton, the temptation is to throw it in the machine on delicate and iron it. No good? I steamed mine last night, but it worked about as well as steaming cotton shirts; which is to say not well at all. It gets the wrinkles out, but still looks unfinished.

7. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Thanks for all of your replies.

I may check out local shop and see if they have 60% cotton and 40% other (combination of linen, silk, and/or wool) type of fabric.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

As the suit is cotton, the temptation is to throw it in the machine on delicate

Don't do that.

9. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior Member

Don't do that.

Yes, please don't do that! [​IMG]

10. denning

denning Distinguished Member

Milano, you're in Toronto, don't they have a Holt Renfrew outlet there? I got a tan cotton sateen suit from Zegna's top line (can't remember which one now) for like $300 CAD from their Winnipeg outlet. Love the look of it, and it has held up surprisingly well for a cotton suit.

11. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

I was about to add that the Zegna 06 S/S line has a beautiful cotton tan suit with very interesting styling. About $1600, I recall. I also recall that it had about 10-20% silk with the cotton.

Perry

12. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

is there such a thing as a cotton odd jacket or sportsjacket?

13. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

14. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Would the (ideal) fit on a cotton suit be more relaxed than the average business suit? Or should it still be cut trim?

Tom

15. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

is there such a thing as a cotton odd jacket or sportsjacket?
    Of course. I have two of them : one tan and one blue. In fact, I'm wearing the blue one today with white linen flat front pants and a liberty light blue toned shirt.
    I find they are more suited to spring season than summer.

!luc