1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cotton suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 18, 2006.

1. ceestand

ceestand Member

Funny this came up, I am planning on wearing my new cotton suit for the first time tomorrow. I don't consider it a full-on summer suit, I agree with previous posters that the cotton is deceptively warm.

As the suit is cotton, the temptation is to throw it in the machine on delicate and iron it. No good? I steamed mine last night, but it worked about as well as steaming cotton shirts; which is to say not well at all. It gets the wrinkles out, but still looks unfinished.

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Thanks for all of your replies.

I may check out local shop and see if they have 60% cotton and 40% other (combination of linen, silk, and/or wool) type of fabric.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

As the suit is cotton, the temptation is to throw it in the machine on delicate

Don't do that.

4. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

Don't do that.

Yes, please don't do that! [​IMG]

5. denning

denning Senior member

Milano, you're in Toronto, don't they have a Holt Renfrew outlet there? I got a tan cotton sateen suit from Zegna's top line (can't remember which one now) for like $300 CAD from their Winnipeg outlet. Love the look of it, and it has held up surprisingly well for a cotton suit.

6. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I was about to add that the Zegna 06 S/S line has a beautiful cotton tan suit with very interesting styling. About $1600, I recall. I also recall that it had about 10-20% silk with the cotton.

Perry

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

is there such a thing as a cotton odd jacket or sportsjacket?

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

9. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Would the (ideal) fit on a cotton suit be more relaxed than the average business suit? Or should it still be cut trim?

Tom

10. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

is there such a thing as a cotton odd jacket or sportsjacket?
    Of course. I have two of them : one tan and one blue. In fact, I'm wearing the blue one today with white linen flat front pants and a liberty light blue toned shirt.
    I find they are more suited to spring season than summer.

!luc

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Would the (ideal) fit on a cotton suit be more relaxed than the average business suit? Or should it still be cut trim?

Tom

I believe it should be cut trimer than your average business wool suit.

I think a cotton suit is more like a fashion statement, cotton will not drape like wool and will produce a different visual aspect which looks better if close fitting.

I don't agree with the previous poster who wrote about wrinkles. A cotton suit should be made of heavier twill cotton which doesn't wrinkle as much. I didn't need to press my sportscoats and they are not wrinkled. Pants are a different matter because of the crotch area.

!luc

12. MilanoStyle

Milano, you're in Toronto, don't they have a Holt Renfrew outlet there? I got a tan cotton sateen suit from Zegna's top line (can't remember which one now) for like $300 CAD from their Winnipeg outlet. Love the look of it, and it has held up surprisingly well for a cotton suit.

You are lucky. If you bought Zegna Napoli suit for $300, then you got really really lucky IMHO [​IMG]

I am looking for a particular style in cotton suit, which I could not find RTW cotton suits:

Jacket: 3 button - top button roll over
    1/4 lining.
    ticket pocket
    high narrower notch lapels, like Isaia coats.
    all seams should have picked-stitching details with light gold threads, assuming the fabric is light tan.

Pants: button fly.
    low rise, narrow flat front, narrow leg.

13. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior member

Milano
    I have one from Attolini that has all of your requirements. It is a 3 on 2 button but the roll is not quite as nice as a similar suit in wool.

It is however a great suit!

14. MilanoStyle

Milano
    I have one from Attolini that has all of your requirements. It is a 3 on 2 button but the roll is not quite as nice as a similar suit in wool.

It is however a great suit!

I am not surprised. [​IMG]
    My specification comes from careful examinations of Attolini, Kiton, and Isaia suits. [​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tom

It needs to be cut a little roomier. Cotton does not have the give that wool does, so if it is too close to your body the seams would be the only area to give, and you don't really want that.

16. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I have two cotton suits, and they fill a purpose for NYC summers. I got them both at the Brooks outlet in Woodbury. Between the sales and the discounts, I think I paid like 300ish for the two of them.

I also just bought a Borrelli cotton blazer from TheWorldsFinest, but I wouldnt wear that to work.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I was about to add that the Zegna 06 S/S line has a beautiful cotton tan suit with very interesting styling. About $1600, I recall. I also recall that it had about 10-20% silk with the cotton.

Perry

Yep, I tried this one on today (assuming we're thinking of the same one - the silk content is higher in the one I tried on though). It's quite distinctive but the silhouette didn't suit me. Still, it's very nifty and if it suits you. Zegna also has a great sky-blue linen jacket this season.

Pal Zileri has a couple of gorgeous cotton/silk suits this season in their top Sartoriale line. Even the spiv-tastic Boateng has a rather nice cotton/linen tan/cream twist on a POW check pattern (made by the now-defunct Chesire Clothes). I tried on both the above and the Zileri Sartoriale was stunningly well-made and if one that fit me had been in stock, I may well have bought. Worth a browse certainly.

18. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Of course. I have two of them : one tan and one blue. In fact, I'm wearing the blue one today with white linen flat front pants and a liberty light blue toned shirt.
    I find they are more suited to spring season than summer.

!luc

thanks! i have never considered getting cotton odd jackets before... but in the tropical climate that we have here, i think it would be good consideration for a night out in less formal setting. time to do my homework....