• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton suit

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Would the (ideal) fit on a cotton suit be more relaxed than the average business suit? Or should it still be cut trim?

Tom

I believe it should be cut trimer than your average business wool suit.

I think a cotton suit is more like a fashion statement, cotton will not drape like wool and will produce a different visual aspect which looks better if close fitting.

I don't agree with the previous poster who wrote about wrinkles. A cotton suit should be made of heavier twill cotton which doesn't wrinkle as much. I didn't need to press my sportscoats and they are not wrinkled. Pants are a different matter because of the crotch area.

!luc

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Milano, you're in Toronto, don't they have a Holt Renfrew outlet there? I got a tan cotton sateen suit from Zegna's top line (can't remember which one now) for like $300 CAD from their Winnipeg outlet. Love the look of it, and it has held up surprisingly well for a cotton suit.

You are lucky. If you bought Zegna Napoli suit for $300, then you got really really lucky IMHO
smile.gif

I am looking for a particular style in cotton suit, which I could not find RTW cotton suits:

Jacket: 3 button - top button roll over
1/4 lining.
ticket pocket
high narrower notch lapels, like Isaia coats.
all seams should have picked-stitching details with light gold threads, assuming the fabric is light tan.

Pants: button fly.
low rise, narrow flat front, narrow leg.

ragdoll

Reaction score
Milano
I have one from Attolini that has all of your requirements. It is a 3 on 2 button but the roll is not quite as nice as a similar suit in wool.

It is however a great suit!

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Milano
I have one from Attolini that has all of your requirements. It is a 3 on 2 button but the roll is not quite as nice as a similar suit in wool.

It is however a great suit!

I am not surprised.
smile.gif

My specification comes from careful examinations of Attolini, Kiton, and Isaia suits.
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Would the (ideal) fit on a cotton suit be more relaxed than the average business suit? Or should it still be cut trim?

Tom

It needs to be cut a little roomier. Cotton does not have the give that wool does, so if it is too close to your body the seams would be the only area to give, and you don't really want that.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I have two cotton suits, and they fill a purpose for NYC summers. I got them both at the Brooks outlet in Woodbury. Between the sales and the discounts, I think I paid like 300ish for the two of them.

I also just bought a Borrelli cotton blazer from TheWorldsFinest, but I wouldnt wear that to work.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I was about to add that the Zegna 06 S/S line has a beautiful cotton tan suit with very interesting styling. About $1600, I recall. I also recall that it had about 10-20% silk with the cotton.

Perry

Yep, I tried this one on today (assuming we're thinking of the same one - the silk content is higher in the one I tried on though). It's quite distinctive but the silhouette didn't suit me. Still, it's very nifty and if it suits you. Zegna also has a great sky-blue linen jacket this season.

Pal Zileri has a couple of gorgeous cotton/silk suits this season in their top Sartoriale line. Even the spiv-tastic Boateng has a rather nice cotton/linen tan/cream twist on a POW check pattern (made by the now-defunct Chesire Clothes). I tried on both the above and the Zileri Sartoriale was stunningly well-made and if one that fit me had been in stock, I may well have bought. Worth a browse certainly.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Of course. I have two of them : one tan and one blue. In fact, I'm wearing the blue one today with white linen flat front pants and a liberty light blue toned shirt.
I find they are more suited to spring season than summer.

!luc

thanks! i have never considered getting cotton odd jackets before... but in the tropical climate that we have here, i think it would be good consideration for a night out in less formal setting. time to do my homework....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads