• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corneliani V. Canali

slaavwmr

Reaction score
They seem to be priced similarly. However, I have noticed Canali's going up in price.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course.

I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with stu on this one. Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper). I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up. In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I agree with stu on this one.  Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper).  I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up.  In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.
Are you saying Canali is a better suit or it is a better buy.

I was in a store and they both had the same style suit I wanted.

Corneliani is 1095 and Canali was 1550.

When not on sale is there really any difference?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that Canali is slightly more refined than Corneliani -- I think the lapels are pressed a bit better, for instance. But I like the Corneliani cut better. The difference is not worth $500 IMO. Maybe $50 or $100 at retail, assuming equivalent fabrics.

I should note, however, that the Canali Exclusive that I bought for my dad to wear to my wedding (got it on sale at Bloomingdales for $250..) had hand-padded lapels -- something you tend to see only on Kiton and Brioni. Not sure if this is still the case though.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are simliar and you like both i would go with the corneliani just because of price. The canalis are going up a lot it seems. Me personally i love canali's products. But at the new price difference i would go with the corneliani. Canali's IMO are a little better but starting to lose value to cheaper price brands.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be a bug, but...

I pay a bit more for suits and, like magic, the fabric seems to hold up better.  Can and Cor make nice suits, but the fabric on the low 1000K suits leaves something to be desired.  My Canali sportcoat is a favorite but the fabric pills.  Zegna and Isaia of the same vintage are still like new.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(demeis @ June 16 2005,07:53) I agree with stu on this one. Â Canali's are better and can usually be found at a better discount (not making them better just cheaper). Â I think the fabric's are nicer but like you said Canali's are going up. Â In the last year i think they've gone from around 1150-1300 to 1350-1400 in the store that i work at.
Are you saying Canali is a better suit or it is a better buy. I was in a store and they both had the same style suit I wanted. Corneliani is 1095 and Canali was 1550. When not on sale is there really any difference?
I don't think Canali is $400 better than Corneliani. But if you look around, you can find either on sale for $600 or less. At that price point, IMO, the Canali is the better suit.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, Canali and Corneliani are sufficiently close in quality that the decision to buy one over the other should be based upon which cut fits you better.  Corneliani has softer shoulders and is cut closer to the body, and is better suited for the young and slim.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
In my opinion, Canali and Corneliani are sufficiently close in quality that the decision to buy one over the other should be based upon which cut fits you better.  Corneliani has softer shoulders and is cut closer to the body, and is better suited for the young and slim.
It sounds like the Corneliani cut is closer to Zegna?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned both. My Canali suits have never worn out. I'm still wearing Canali suits I bought in 1990. They still look good.

I had two Corneliani suits. Both began to disintigrate after a couple of years (sewing came apart, suits began to lose shape, etc.) I ended up getting rid of them.

Canali is the best ready to wear suit for the money, as far as I'm concerned. If I was going to spend more, I'd go bespoke.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned both.  My Canali suits have never worn out.  I'm still wearing Canali suits I bought in 1990.  They still look good.    

I had two Corneliani suits.  Both began to disintigrate after a couple of years (sewing came apart, suits began to lose shape, etc.)  I ended up getting rid of them.  

Canali is the best ready to wear suit for the money, as far as I'm concerned.  If I was going to spend more, I'd go bespoke.
Kai,

What sort of fabric is used in your Canali suits and where do you purchase them?

Thanks,

John

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course.

I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.
How would you compare Chan with Canali in general? I know somebody (maybe you) posted that he thought they were pretty comparable. I don't own any Canali items except for neckties. I do have one Corneliani suit, which is nice, but I like my first Chan suit better...although maybe I'm prejudiced because the Corneliani was OTR and the Chan MTM.

I note that when this topic has come up in the past, most respondents place Canali a notch or two above Corneliani.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Stu @ June 16 2005,07:04) This might draw flames but IMO Canali is a notch above Corneliani. I love Corneliani, but Canali suits, at a discount are one of my favorite buys. One of my nicest suits is a Canali dbl.-breasted 6 X 2 Navy pinstripe. The fabric blows away that on all my other suits, including a Chan and the other Canalis and Cornelianis, save for the Isaia, of course. I think the shoulders on Canali are more pronounced than those on Corneliani as well.
How would you compare Chan with Canali in general? I know somebody (maybe you) posted that he thought they were pretty comparable. I don't own any Canali items except for neckties. I do have one Corneliani suit, which is nice, but I like my first Chan suit better...although maybe I'm prejudiced because the Corneliani was OTR and the Chan MTM. I note that when this topic has come up in the past, most respondents place Canali a notch or two above Corneliani.
Well as you know, Chan's chief advantage is if you are hard to fit in RTW. My Chan suit fits amazing, absolutely perfect. But I am a very easy to fit 42 R in RTW. With Canalis I just require a bit of sleeve shortening. And the fabric in my Canali suits blows away by a huge margin the LP120 fabric in my Chan suit. That said, I have yet to buy a Chan suit with a better fabric, which I intend to do soon. But then again, the price point of the Chan and most of my Canalis are similar, with the Canalis actually being a few bucks cheaper. So with Canali for a few bucks less I get an slightly inferior fit and a far superior cloth compared to Chan.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I don't like the cut of the Canali's - a little boxier with heavier shoulders than the Corneliani - I would go with the Corneliani.

Panzer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads