• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corneliani V. Canali

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't a Canali that fits a bit boxy be brought in around the waist?

slaavwmr

Reaction score
So, I decided to put it to a test. I took a lunch time walk to Saks and decided to compare the suits.

What I learned was Whichever one is better, I prefer Zegna. I just find the cut and general light feel of the Zegna are perfect for my build (or lack there of). Which of course is a bit of a problem since Zegna is so much more.

The salesman tried to push Hickey on me as well. They had the board room collection. Is that any different than the madison collection?

I managed to leave without buying the Zegna. It was tough. I really liked it.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Can't a Canali that fits a bit boxy be brought in around the waist?
Not unless you make some pretty substantial alterations to the chest and shoulder line as well. My policy has been to never dramatically alter a suit in such a way that its original silhouette changes.

Panzer

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Canali product I have is a pair of dress slacks I got about 8 years ago. They are a medium gray, maybe a tad lighter than that. They have always fit great, even though my waist has expanded a bit (got to do more situps.
biggrin.gif
). I have experienced no problems whatsoever with them. In fact, I wore them yesterday with a great dark blue houndstooth patterned sportcoat I bought the same time from the same store (Gentlemen's Quarter in La Jolla; put their own label on it). Forzieri pink/ivory herringbone shirt, Soprani purple tie (w/ small pale pink pindots). Looked terrific and got a lot of compliments. I'm telling you guys who are Anglophiles, the Italian stuff moves the ladies.
biggrin.gif
Including me, the only non-Italian things yesterday were my socks and underwear.

mano

Reaction score
I have a Canali suit and a Corneliani suit and sports coat. I like the Corneliani better, as it has a cut and fit similar to my Brioni. Both are well made, but the latter gives you more for your money, IMO. Go with the one that you like best, as you can't go wrong with either brand, IMO.

Caveat emptor: Saks Off Fifth carries some Corneliani that are made specifically for those outlet stores. A saleswoman showed me the difference between them and the regular line, which SOF carries only when passed on from the regular Saks stores.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kai,

What sort of fabric is used in your Canali suits and where do you purchase them?

Thanks,

John
I've got quite a few Canali Suits, made from a pretty wide variety of fabrics.

The ones I've owned since the early 1990's I purchased in NYC at a shop called British American House (which, curiously, seems to sell exclusively Italian clothing.) I also purchased my two Corneliani suits from them.

From them, I have:
light wool crepe in taupe
light olive in silk/wool blend
black on black patterned wool
navy wool
black tuxedo
brown with grey pinstripes

More recently, I've purchased a Canali from Bluefly. It's in brown wool.

I also bought one off of ebay (threw away the jacket, and just wear the pants.) It's a dark olive wool.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that Canali is very well machine tailored suit. Even after a long wear, the paddings and seams hold their original shape.

redtree00

Reaction score
The majority of my suits are Corneliani.
There are several Corneliani models offering different fits, there are also differences in finish and details depending on where I have purchased Corneliani.
The Vogue models have more room in the shoulder and chest and have a different trouser silhouette than the Spencer model, these are both from the regular line models, there are a few more models if you include the semi fused lower end CC Collection line.
The detailing also varies widely, I have a Corneliani suit from BG with pick stitching galore, all over the jacket and on the trousers the pockets and side seams are pick stitched. The trousers are more finely detailed and the fabric is better.
A Corneliani I purchased from Saks has no pick stitching, less internal pockets and the trousers are not finished as nice as the BG suit.
Looking at my closet, Corneliani suits purchased from STP are a notch above the Saks models and  my suits from NM are better with the BG suits being the best. They are obviously spec'd differently for each store.

I also have a few Canali suits and jackets purchased from Saks, nicely made and good fit overall but I find the shoulder is not as nice as the Corneliani. Canali is better made than the Saks purchased Corneliani but not as good as the BG ones. I don't know if Canali from another store is different as I don't own any.

In the past I have always seen them priced within a few $'s of each other, I am at a loss as to the huge disparity mentioned earlier in this thread.

They are both very comparable to each other, if you like a softer shoulder like I do, go with Corneliani.

I no longer buy Corneliani at Saks unless very heavily discounted, if shopping at Saks I highly recommend the very reasonably priced and frequently discounted Hield suits and jackets.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several Corneliani models offering different fits, there are also differences in finish and details depending on where I have purchased Corneliani.
The Vogue models have more room in the shoulder and chest and have a different trouser silhouette than the Spencer model, these are both from the regular line models, there are a few more models if you include the semi fused lower end CC Collection line.
The detailing also varies widely, I have a Corneliani suit from BG with pick stitching galore, all over the jacket and on the trousers the pockets and side seams are pick stitched. The trousers are more finely detailed and the fabric is better.
A Corneliani I purchased from Saks has no pick stitching, less internal pockets and the trousers are not finished as nice as the BG suit.
Looking at my closet, Corneliani suits purchased from STP are a notch above the Saks models and  my suits from NM are better with the BG suits being the best. They are obviously spec'd differently for each store.

I also have a few Canali suits and jackets purchased from Saks, nicely made and good fit overall but I find the shoulder is not as nice as the Corneliani. Canali is better made than the Saks purchased Corneliani but not as good as the BG ones. I don't know if Canali from another store is different as I don't own any.

In the past I have always seen them priced within a few $'s of each other, I am at a loss as to the huge disparity mentioned earlier in this thread.

They are both very comparable to each other, if you like a softer shoulder like I do, go with Corneliani.

I no longer buy Corneliani at Saks unless very heavily discounted, if shopping at Saks I highly recommend the very reasonably priced and frequently discounted Hield suits and jackets.
Tell more about Hield. Does anymore know anything specific about the quality and fabric in this line? I have seen them at the Saks in town but wasn't sure whether to consider them.

redtree00

Reaction score
Hield is made by Cheshire/Chester Barrie in England.

My Suits/Jackets are all Super 120 fabrics in interesting textures and patterns.

slaavwmr

Reaction score

This is very interesting. All stores that sell Corneliani at retail sell the basic suits at the same price. In other words, Navy, Nay Pinstripe, Charcoal, Charcoal Pinstripe and Black all go for $1095 at Saks and Niemans.

Are those different suits as well?

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
The above poster is correct. Corn makes a vouge and spencer model-each with a different shape. Im tall and slim and everytime i try on a canali i get that gangster feeling in the shoulders. Quality aside, I much prefer the corneliani in styling.

If your in nyc -rothman's carries both and you can try them head to head. Ask for rich...he knows his stuff

Gatsby

Reaction score
There was a similar topic (Corneliani vs. Canali) on the AAAC forum, with very similar results: Corneliani: slimmer and sleek, Canali: better, but bigger. That said, I've only had experience with the latter.

I purchased a Canali from eBay listed as an approximate 39L. Typically this is the RTW size that fits me best as I am slim with smaller shoulders and long arms. Unfortunately as Italian and US sizes are based on chest size and shoulders respectively (correct?), the shoulders fit fine (though a little stiff), but the chest/waist is huge. Amazingly the pants fit relatively well (I'm wearing them now), and could probably use just minor alterations. I have to admit, the fabric used is smoother and softer than in any of my other suits; and the construction seems to be good for a machine made suit.

Currently I am considering whether or not to go through the hassle of reselling the suit -- which I don't like doing -- or looking for a tailor willing to do some serious work. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'd like to get the chest and waist taken in probably 3-4 inches. Either way, I only spent about $200 for the suit, so I really wouldn't mind spending around the same amount on alterations if it'll make it fit well. Any opinions??

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I'd like to get the chest and waist taken in probably 3-4 inches.  
Hmm... Recutting chest is possible depends on how much room that there are from breast pocket to armhole seam.

The issue with chest alteration is tha the suit's shoulder line will change and shoulder point to point measure will decrease as well. If you are going to alter chest, I suggest you do this first, then do waist or rear seam altered if needed. If you all the alterations at once, the jacket may end up fit too tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads