• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan: Loafers vs. Wingtips (or any others)

patina.pal

Reaction score
HI guys, first post here. I have been looking into getting my first pair of quality shell cordovans, but I have come to a cross roads.

They will be a graduation gift to myself, if that gives you an idea to my age. I like more of the preppy style (chinos, sweaters, blazers, sometimes bowties) and I love boat shoes. My current inventory includes two pair of Sperry goldcup a/o's (tan and brown), AE chukkas (black), and some finsbury balmorals (tan).

I want to get a decent pair of cordovan shoes, but I don't know what to get... I guarantee I would wear the loafers more, but I don't know if its a waste of such high quality leather and/or money to get cordovan loafers instead of getting some nice longwings...

What do you say? I'm open to all suggestions. Please include brands and models if you know any.

patina.pal

Reaction score
Okay!

This might seem like a stupid question, but I've seen a lot of people wear penny loafers with and without socks; because cordovan is a stiffer leather, are they comfortable to wear without socks? Is the Burgundy the only "worth-it" color for a cordovan loafer? I've seen some that are more tan or brown and those seemed to look nice, but I don't know if is SF approved.

patina.pal

Reaction score
Those Rancourts are beautiful. I like how they have different color stitching. Are they too informal that you couldn't wear them with a suit? I only have two suits: a faded gray/blue, and a dark navy.

paxonus

Reaction score

MrBorland

Reaction score
JMO, but if I were to spring for a pair of shell shoes, I'd want them to be something I'd wear often, so they'd have to be versatile and comfortable. I love a nice classic loafer, but to me, they're not all that versatile and the fit and comfort can be tricky.

As to comfort, fit and suppleness are key issues for me when it comes to loafers. If they're stiff and/or don't fit perfectly, my heels flop in and out of them as I walk. I have a nice pair of classic loafers now that I barely wear for this reason. Shell is a terrific leather, but the shell leather on the shoes I've worn doesn't convince me that shell is supple enough for loafers.

As to their versatility, they can be worn with khakis and a blazer, and even, IMO, a casual (e.g. seersucker) suit. Possibly with jeans. Generally speaking, though, I usually find something in my closet that goes better than loafers with what I'm wearing. And honestly, I personally don't see full wingtips as being much more versatile. If it were me, I'd look into something like a cap toe blucher or a semi (or quarter) brogue.

patina.pal

Reaction score
Yeah at the point where I'm going to be spending that much on a nice pair of cordovans, I think I will go in to try on several shoes to see which last fits best. I will going to New England to look at Aldens and maybe Maine to go to Rancourt, any other brands have stores up in that location?

What about monk straps? Any quality cordovans in that style? Are those versatile?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads