• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Care

dclassicman

Reaction score
do you need a separate deer bone for every color or can you use the same deer bone far all the colors? Same question for the designated dirt horse hair brush?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a small tear near the little toe on my Park Avenues. Now I am afraid to use them, because I think it will just get worse.

What on earth should I do?

Take them to a good cobbler.

McBear

Reaction score
I have tried two different deer bones and i just can't notice any magic oils on the shoes. How does it work?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Where'd you get the bones? If it's just a random deer bone, I wouldn't be surprised if it's depleted of oils. On mine you can feel the oil on your fingers just from touching it, and it clearly deposits a thin layer of slightly cloudy oil (it's not really cloudy, just needs buffing).

McBear

Reaction score
They are Abbeyhorns so it's good brand. Can they be depleted of oils? Is that normal?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, why not? I was thinking of some random old bone you might in a forest—not like what you clearly have. Mine looks like the left one in your picture.

bpgf

Reaction score
I just received my first pair of black cordovan shoes from Vass. I was expecting shiny new pair of black shoes but instead received some nice but very dull black shoes. Perhaps my expectations were out of line but any suggestions on how to get a glossy shine on these new shoes? I have already brushed and used a buffing cloth and had some improvement but nothing drastic. I was thinking of using some renovator but this thread seems to discourage doing anything but brush/buffing new shell. thanks for the help.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my first pair of black cordovan shoes from Vass. I was expecting shiny new pair of black shoes but instead received some nice but very dull black shoes. Perhaps my expectations were out of line but any suggestions on how to get a glossy shine on these new shoes? I have already brushed and used a buffing cloth and had some improvement but nothing drastic. I was thinking of using some renovator but this thread seems to discourage doing anything but brush/buffing new shell. thanks for the help.

One thing to consider before trying to make them shinier yourself: shell tends to get shinier as the natural oils seep out of the shell through creases, so wearing the shoes will slowly but surely build up a shine.

That said, if you're looking to get them shinier sooner, you can try the Mac Method (google it). I do a slightly modified version of the Mac Method when I'm trying to build up a better shine. It cleans the shoes, conditions them, and gives them a nice shine (and a delicious smell - VSC is intoxicating...)

(1) Get the shoes very damp with a damp buffing cloth.
(2) Brush the shoes vigorously until the shoes are no longer damp or wet.
(3) Apply Bick 4 to the shoes liberally using a buffing cloth, and buff the Bick 4 into the shoes.
(4) Brush the shoes vigorously until the Bick 4 is nicely absorbed.
(5) Apply a very light coat of Venetian Shoe Cream to the shoes using a buffing cloth.
(6) Buff the shoes and enjoy the lovely shine.

bpgf

Reaction score
great thank you for the tip! Ill give it a few more wears and see what how things look....I actually received 2 pairs of shell shoes, one black and one #8...the #8 is glossy and shiny as expected the black is much more matte....I was told that the black shell is tanned differently, hence the difference between the two.

JjasonL

Reaction score
One thing to consider before trying to make them shinier yourself: shell tends to get shinier as the natural oils seep out of the shell through creases, so wearing the shoes will slowly but surely build up a shine.

That said, if you're looking to get them shinier sooner, you can try the Mac Method (google it). I do a slightly modified version of the Mac Method when I'm trying to build up a better shine. It cleans the shoes, conditions them, and gives them a nice shine (and a delicious smell - VSC is intoxicating...)

(1) Get the shoes very damp with a damp buffing cloth.
(2) Brush the shoes vigorously until the shoes are no longer damp or wet.
(3) Apply Bick 4 to the shoes liberally using a buffing cloth, and buff the Bick 4 into the shoes.
(4) Brush the shoes vigorously until the Bick 4 is nicely absorbed.
(5) Apply a very light coat of Venetian Shoe Cream to the shoes using a buffing cloth.
(6) Buff the shoes and enjoy the lovely shine.
blasphemy!! all of that product is going to make shell super tacky

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a little nick on the toe box on my pair of black cordovans. What is the best way to buff out scuffs as well as slightly deeper cuts? The nick looks like a sharp object cut the top of the toe.

Thanks in advance.

tmgaus51

Reaction score
I just got my cordovan AE's shined, and before I had a chance to object, they were cleaned with saddle soap. I know this is a no-no, but what actual damage has been done? I assume I should just throw some Renovateur on them when I get home and no harm?

Thanks.

awoodby

Reaction score
May already have been posted here, but here's "How to Care for Shell Cordovan" from Horween themselves:
"My particular shoe care regimen is very simple and closely resembles the "Mac Method."
  1. Clean with a soft, damp cloth, allow to dry completely away from heat and moving air.
  2. Brush, vigorously, for several minutes using a horsehair brush.
  3. Every 10 - 15 wearings, apply a light haze of neutral Creme Cordovan or Venetian Cream sparingly.
  4. Allow to sit at least 10 minutes (my great grandfather insisted on overnight).
  5. Brush again, as long as you can stand it.
  6. Buff with a soft, dry cloth.
In the winter, I will wipe my shoes with a damp cloth at the end of the day to remove any salt, a Chicago-type climate concern."
--Horween

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads