• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordoroy suit still in style?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once came across a 3-piece Brioni cord suit in bold Ruby Red.
The quality of material and construction were delicioso
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I'm sorry, I'm finding it difficult to have a serious discussion when you have such a shallow understanding of the basic concepts of men's clothing. I'm starting to think you're trolling.

First, "digress" means "to turn aside" or "swerve." You're trying to describe something more akin to a U-turn.

Second, it is ridiculous to say that styles of accessories never change. Tie width, for instance, changes dramatically. The necktie itself only became the dominant form neckwear in the twentieth century--cravats and lawn ties weren't timeless, apparently. Of course, if you want to argue in favor of ascots, I'll listen, but you're not making much of a case.

Those people who somehow get paid to tell people what to wear have no "style expertise." I remember one show where the host was wearing a zebra-print shirt and tight leather pants. "Style expertise" comes from a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of clothing, not having a show on TLC. These are the same kind of people who would have urged you to buy a wide-lapelled suit in the early seventies, and urged you to throw it out for a power suit in the eighties. (Today, they urge you to wear clothing that is too narrow and/or too small.)

Apparently, the rest of your argument is that the modern suit is the historical apex of men's clothing. I don't have to tell you how dumb that sounds.

Even if we assume that a classic design can become dated--frock coats come to mind--you are still wrong, because double-breasted suits still have a following. If you were right, there's no way any of the fashion brands would carry a double-breasted suit or jacket:
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...9674002&vid=-1
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...9680002&vid=-1
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=search

GQ not long ago declared a resurgence for the double-breasted suit. Now, I don't care for GQ, but if you're right, and these "fashion professionals" know what they're talking about, then you're wrong about double-breasted suits. And you're wrong. So wrong.

Does bowtielover ever make sense?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I could never take anyone seriously who wore a corduroy suit, unless they worked on a farm.

Teaching on a farm? I have never met a farmer with a corduroy suit and i have met quite a few in my youth.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I could never take anyone seriously who wore a corduroy suit, unless they worked on a farm.

I don't get it? Is it a play on Earnest's "brown is for farmer"

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Teaching on a farm? I have never met a farmer with a corduroy suit and i have met quite a few in my youth.
OK, I dont know many farmers. Just lop off the second half of my sentence: Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff I could never take anyone seriously who wore a corduroy suit.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a deep-seated revulsion of corduroy going back to the early 80s when it was part of my school uniform. I have never owned an item of clothing in this fabric since.

CordSuitFan

Reaction score
Why not a whole suit? I think my 3 piece corduroy suit looks great but that's just my opinion...
Let me know what you think. ;-)

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CordSuitFan
Why not a whole suit? I think my 3 piece corduroy suit looks great but that's just my opinion...
Let me know what you think. ;-)

If you own a big estate with a game reserve , no problem....
devil.gif

Gentleman farmer is springing to my mind..

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think corduroy looks much better as a seperate sports coat or pair of trousers rather than as a suit, but TBH I can't say why. Maybe it's just a whole suit done in corduroy seems like overkill. I could have a great corduroy suit hanging in my closet, but I can't imagine an occasion where I'd pick it to wear over a more standard wool suit.

If it fits your style, go for it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Personally, I think corduroy looks much better as a seperate sports coat or pair of trousers rather than as a suit, but TBH I can't say why.

I just got one today from Zegna, not sure if I should keep it or sell it.
confused.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know I ever was, and still don't think it is or ever was. Go for it if you want but I wouldn't. A sport coat or something is one thing but a whole suit is an entirely diffrent thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics