• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool things from Family

mert54

Reaction score
People always talk about their eBay steals, or thrifting. But what about things handed down from family member. I have a ton, ie. 2 ferragamo loafers from my grandfather, a Dior tie, as well as many RL ties that say "Custom Made in San Francisco, with the name of the store manager or tailor. I have gotten lots of cool shoes and ties and stuff from my family, so what about everyone else?

Cali

Reaction score
My Grandfather was a cowboy in Texas and left me a deerskin vest that he made himself, and a pair of full lizard skin boots that John Justin (yeah, that one) made for him.

My Dad gave me his old flight jacket - definitely a keeper. And my Dad inherited an old Omega from his father that I am itching to get my hands on.

I really think there is nothing as good as heirlooms - I value them so much more than my other possessions - and I buy clothing with the idea that I will hopefully give it to my kids one day.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
My Grandfather was a cowboy in Texas and left me a deerskin vest that he made himself, and a pair of full lizard skin boots that John Justin (yeah, that one) made for him.

My Dad gave me his old flight jacket - definitely a keeper. And my Dad inherited an old Omega from his father that I am itching to get my hands on.

I really think there is nothing as good as heirlooms - I value them so much more than my other possessions - and I buy clothing with the idea that I will hopefully give it to my kids one day.

All parts--Cool, way cool!!

Poomba

Reaction score
Two belt buckles that my dad took off of dead Russians. Got those for my eighteenth birthday.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I got an old Marine Band harmonica from my great grandfather. I have quite a bit of stuff that has been left to me in Canada, but none of it is clothing to my knowledge.

robbie

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my Grandpa's peacoat when he was in the Navy in WWII. Thing is amazing construction and weighs about 30 pounds. Heavy heavy melton wool I am assuming.

One of my favorite pieces.

Cali

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
I have my Grandpa's peacoat when he was in the Navy in WWII. Thing is amazing construction and weighs about 30 pounds. Heavy heavy melton wool I am assuming.

One of my favorite pieces.

This reminds me - my Dad has an old Russian Seacoat that he let me try on one time. Thing weighed as much as I do but it would certainly keep you warm.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
This Omega Seamaster DeVille that my dad gave me:
IMG_0780.jpg
I wear it every day.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
My dad has a collection of about 10 pairs of red wings that have never seen a brush or any sort of treatment, just worn hard on hiking/camping/yard work. I am going to steal a pair one day. We also had a conversation the other day in which I mentioned I was thinking about buying some Aldens and he goes "Aldens? I remember that brand. I have like 10 pairs of their shoes sitting up in the attic that I bought for $20 20 years ago!". Sadly he has small feet =/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads