• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have to be careful about upgrading from the single-pane too, it can spoil the visual effect unless you get the right product.

I visited some Frank Lloyd Wright properties, and they made the point that FLW didn't believe in double-pane glass for that reason. He wanted as few barriers as possible between the interior and the exterior views. A lot of the windows don't even have frames, they just meld into the walls. It does make a difference, visually, but the livability has got to suck.

I saw a property where they had some kind of anti-reflection coating on all the windows in a MCM design like that. It was stunning, could barely tell there was glass (when they were clean). I hate to think how expensive that would be.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to look at houses like this but I don't think I could live in one

I sure could.
The Eames House = Dream House for me, bar none.

Yeah, I look at all the glass (I’m assuming it’s single pane, too) and think about the utility bills.
In Los Angeles, not that big an issue, either cold or hot. Elsewhere (including LA) people who can afford these homes probably don't stress over utility bills much.

I visited some Frank Lloyd Wright properties, and they made the point that FLW didn't believe in double-pane glass for that reason. He wanted as few barriers as possible between the interior and the exterior views. A lot of the windows don't even have frames, they just meld into the walls. It does make a difference, visually, but the livability has got to suck.
Hmmm.... FLlW died in 1959 at the age of 91. Double-glazed windows were not really produced (for Pullman train cars first, post-war, ~1945 by PPG) for residential/architectural work commercially until circa 1950/52 (Andersen, Welded Insulating Glass, 1952), first in repetitive-unit towers in NYC etc (the UN headquarters was one of the first US buildings to utilize d-g)., so it's not as if Wright was throwing out d-g windows catalogs right and left (although he likely would have).

I have no doubt that he was not fond of the "further visual interruption" of double-glazed, but since he was a supreme pragmatist I suspect that he "rejected" d-g also and primarily because the available residential-scale, custom-fabricated double-glazed products of the era, in the years he was doing private residential work, especially in his aesthetic and detailing, simply did not provide that significant an energy savings, if any, over single-glazed solutions.

But, people (tour guides, sales persons, etc) love telling FLlW myths all day long. For a truly bizarre experience, visit Taliesin West some time, where they still speak of "Mr. Wright" in such hushed and reverential tones that you half expect him to come strutting around the corner at any second....

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems like a perfect opportunity to post this shot from Hitchcock's magnificent North by Northwest.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just imagine what Hitch would have been able to do if Frank had in fact built the "Mile High Illinois"....

Triple-glazed from bottom to tippy-top, no doubt.

7e9e03c8e49d54c76fb15c0db6ca2c37.jpg

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sure could.
The Eames House = Dream House for me, bar none.

In Los Angeles, not that big an issue, either cold or hot. Elsewhere (including LA) people who can afford these homes probably don't stress over utility bills much.

Hmmm.... FLlW died in 1959 at the age of 91. Double-glazed windows were not really produced (for Pullman train cars first, post-war, ~1945 by PPG) for residential/architectural work commercially until circa 1950/52 (Andersen, Welded Insulating Glass, 1952), first in repetitive-unit towers in NYC etc (the UN headquarters was one of the first US buildings to utilize d-g)., so it's not as if Wright was throwing out d-g windows catalogs right and left (although he likely would have).

I have no doubt that he was not fond of the "further visual interruption" of double-glazed, but since he was a supreme pragmatist I suspect that he "rejected" d-g also and primarily because the available residential-scale, custom-fabricated double-glazed products of the era, in the years he was doing private residential work, especially in his aesthetic and detailing, simply did not provide that significant an energy savings, if any, over single-glazed solutions.

But, people (tour guides, sales persons, etc) love telling FLlW myths all day long. For a truly bizarre experience, visit Taliesin West some time, where they still speak of "Mr. Wright" in such hushed and reverential tones that you half expect him to come strutting around the corner at any second....

Secondary glazing has been used in cold parts of the world for as long as glass windows have existed. Maybe the guide was referring to this rather than double glazing.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Secondary glazing has been used in cold parts of the world for as long as glass windows have existed. Maybe the guide was referring to this rather than double glazing.
Who knows.
Gibonius wrote this, above:
"...and they made the point that FLW didn't believe in double-pane glass...".
Since I am neither Gibonius, nor "they", nor FLW, I have no idea as to what was said specifically, nor what was intended.

But I do highly doubt that "the guide" was referring to FLlW's opinion on how Norse tribes and/or the Picts and their friends and enemies utilized Anglo-Saxon glass.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Could be. They didn't much elaborate. I interpreted it as "double pane," but it certainly could have been glazed.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for modern but tasteful living room area rugs? My fiancee is set on Nanimarquina (and there is a sale coming up), but I am trying to steer her towards something much less expensive.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for modern but tasteful living room area rugs? My fiancee is set on Nanimarquina (and there is a sale coming up), but I am trying to steer her towards something much less expensive.
5 thoughts (+ a free added bonus thought):
1) Your fiancée has excellent taste.
2) If you can actually afford it (save on other stuff) you really should endeavor to please your fiancée.
3) Nanimarquina rugs are both beautiful and excellent. There is very little being done so well in that "elegantly restrained but wonderfully vibrant" aesthetic. That aesthetic will be current and versatile for decades, and rugs are important memory-stages.
4) Your fiancée has excellent taste.
5) If you can actually afford it (save on other stuff) you really should endeavor to please your fiancée.

I urge you to carefully and seriously ponder points 1,2,4,5 especially.
Far better to share, for years and years, a beautiful NM rug with your fiancée/future wife than to eat cold pizza alone over a second-rate kilim, crying over your ex-fiancée....
HTH.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Nanimarquina, but clicking through it seems like this is where Ikea get their rug ideas.
Nani Marquina is the middle (her father, her, her daughter) of three generations of very good Spanish design talent. Rigorous and disciplined, never over-extended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads