• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would have a hard time cooking if I couldn't let metal touch my food.

So, does anyone here have specific flatware makers and/or model lines they're happy with the aesthetics and usability of?
I’m in love with the curvature of our Georg Jensen spoons. The whole Vivianna collection really.

C41E8298-F494-4383-878D-9154842EE4E1.jpeg

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, does anyone here have specific flatware makers and/or model lines they're happy with the aesthetics and usability of?

+1

In the market too
I use "Mulberry" by Studio William.

It certainly is less obviously designed, but it is perfectly weighted, feels good in the hand - and better still, looks good as it ages and accumulates scratches and other signs of wear.

mulberry-cutlery-set_003.jpg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use sterling silver or silverplated antique sets. All that new age tableware from BBB, Crate and Barrel or Target reminds me too much of 1990s. Not a fan.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular design you like from Lebolt, Skinny?

I’m in love with the curvature of our Georg Jensen spoons. The whole Vivianna collection really.

That spoon is great. Speaking of Georg Jensen, an old gf of mine had this set:

Georg-Jensen-AJ--yK000011_663x850_1.jpg

designed in 1957 by Arne Jacobsen for the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen (and used in Kubrick's 2001). She was studying to become an architect and I never really cared for eating with this.

Also from Georg Jensen, several in my family is using this 'Copenhagen' set:

357-3340516_2.jpg

I like that well enough, but will be getting something else. Also in that pic is the plates I have, 'White Pot', from the same designer as the flatware, and now discontinued by Royal Copenhagen.

I use "Mulberry" by Studio William. It certainly is less obviously designed, but it is perfectly weighted, feels good in the hand - and better still, looks good as it ages and accumulates scratches and other signs of wear.

I like the look of that; especially the fork looks nearly perfect.

I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else wants to chime in, and then I'll post what I've been looking at...

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Georg Jensen "Prisma". Also discontinued, but a superb design.

The GJ Torun jewelry is truly great, but the flatware much less interesting and too strangely recherché, for me.
The GJ AJ flatware is incredibly iconic, beautiful, comfortable.

But imo GJ "Prisma" is sublime in all aspects.

We use a complete set of "Prisma" flatware with a lot of Stelton "Cylinda" pieces. They get along very well.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, venessian. 'Prisme' designed for Georg Jensen in 1960 is still available around here, but now produced by Stelton:

stelton-bestiksaet-prisme-rustfrit-staal-16-dele.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kaplan, I’m not sure the style names with Lebolt. I tend to just prefer the simpler designs with the hand hammered texture.

It’s tough to get really picky with them, in any case because there are usually only a few sets available at any given time unless you find someone who specializes in their stuff.

emptym

Reaction score
We use Lauffer Magnum stuff, but I think it's no longer made. Edit, it seems new pieces are being made under the Towle name:

712DnMUmY+L._SL1500_.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic, emptym.

Here's what I'm using now, Citterio 98 from Ittala:

citterio98_01dailyicon.jpg

I still like this well enough (and the matte finish makes it very low maintenance), but I don't appreciate the aesthetics as much as I did a decade or two ago, hence the search for something new. Below are some of the stuff I've considered, as well as what I think I'll be getting. Pic heavy, so it's spoilered for those who just want to scroll past.

The plan was to find something less obviously designed, but with clean lines. Actually, something with great lines, but that doesn't make a fuss about it. Probably little to no ornamentation. Here's what I found along the way:

First some from Villeroy & Boch (who apparently have moved their flatware production to Vietnam and Indonesia; some users have noted that they have had stuff starting to rust within a few months):

gruppe6233.jpg

'Neufaden Merlemont'. Like the lines on this, but it has too much ornamentation.

1263399030.jpg

'Oscar'. Cleaner lines, like the fork, could live with the knife, not really a fan of the spoon. Saw it in a shop yesterday and the polished finish also makes it a little too dainty for my taste (same can be said for many of the sets here - though maybe this gets better with age, like @apropos mentioned?).

Villeroy-Boch-Coupole--y680074_663x850_2_0_1.jpg

'La Coupole'. Without knowing it before I started searching, I think this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Might be too large though. From my experience with the Citterio set, I've come used to a fork and spoon around 20cm and a knife of 23cm; this is bigger, but others make something in a similar design, as I found out.

Like 'Fidelio' from Christoffle:

Fidelio.jpg

- this model only comes as silver plated though, so it's out.

Now two sets from Robbe & Berking:

1332619751~00125_1.jpg

'Dante'. Rather nice, but only in sterling or silver plated. Also, the fork looks a little stabby.

Robbe-Berking-Como--y0400191_663x850_1.jpg

'Como'. Good lines, this time is steel. Haven't checked the sizes, as again I'm not super happy with the mirror polish.

And finally, what I think may be it:

Ercuis-Bali--yJ00001_663x850_2_0_1.jpg

'Bali' from Ercuis. Unassuming, with just the right amount of flair for me. Almost the platonic ideal of a knife, spoon and fork. From other photos it doesn't even seem like it's high shine either. The 'Table' size is too large, like the Villeroy & Boch set, but the smaller 'Dinner' size is almost exactly the size of my Citterio set. I even like the matter-of-fact logo much more than the more precious, showy ones, like the cursive font on the Christoffle.

Well, there it is. Maybe there's even something here to inspire @Jr Mouse. If anyone have thoughts for or against any of the sets here, or have another recommendation, feel free to share.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads