• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Van Veen -- EPIC POAST. I cannot express how much this poast means to me.

I know I'm being greedy here, but I'd love to top this off with a contrived dramatic end to the landlord saga. Ples name your name your price to make this happen.

SirTylerGalt

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and there are tons of amazing ideas! Thought I might ask for some advice too ;)
I recently moved to a new apartment, and I'm progressively buying furniture (gave away the old Ikea stuff).

The living room:

Here are a few pictures of the living room:

1622912271876.png

1622912290683.png

1622912302211.png

I obviously need to tidy everything up, get rid of the Ikea shelf, and I will soon receive my Spectral Next TV rack (with black metal legs and TV mount):

1622912391374.png

For the colour palette, I was thinking of using mostly white, wood, beige, blue as an accent colour, and maybe green from plants and a few decorative items. And also some black where it cannot be avoided (TV, furniture legs, speakers).

Choice of dining chairs:

I plan to move my white Kartell Four table and use it as a dining table:

1622912421574.png

But I am not sure what dining chairs to get, and what colour. The table has steel legs and a laminate top, which are "cold" materials, and I was told that using wooden chairs would not work with it. So I've been mostly looking at metal / plastic chairs.

One option would be the Gubi Beetle chairs by GamFratesi (which I can get for -30% off until Tuesday):

1622908504020.png

Gubi Beetle plastic chair with chrome legs:
1622908653606.png
1622908668919.png
1622908746637.png

Gubi Beetle plastic chair with black chrome legs:
1622908859734.png
1622908848225.png
1622908959649.png

My first idea was to get the blue plastic chair with chrome legs:
- chrome legs because they are "light" so would "match" the white from the table (not sure it works like that?)
- blue because it would match the sofa
But maybe using blue chairs is too obvious, and it is better to repeat the blue accent colour in smaller decorative items, since I already have a huge blue sofa. In this case, I should use more "neutral colours" for those chairs.

So the second idea was to get the beige plastic chair with black chrome legs, since it would match the black and beige TV rack, and beige is a more "neutral colour".
But I wonder if it would match the all white table...

Another idea would be to get the white plastic chair with black chrome legs, and go for a monochromatic look.

Gubi Beetle Upholstered with metal legs:

1622908526264.png

1622911121581.png
1622911600821.png

One advantage of upholstered versions, is that they cannot get scratched like the plastic ones.
But I wonder if such fabrics would go well with the metal and laminate of the Kartell table?

Gubi Violin Chairs:

I have also seen the new Gubi Violin chairs, also by GamFratesi:

1622909994084.png

1622910013956.png

I like them, but I haven't be able to sit in them yet, and they are 4 times more expensive than the plastic chairs.

Eames DSR with white metal base:

Another option would be the Eames DSR:

1622907119476.png

The white metal base would go with the white table, which lets me choose any colour for the top, without having to worry about matching it to the table.
But I feel those Eames chairs are overexposed, and the metal base seems a little "busy"...

Kartell Masters by Philippe Starck:

I could also accompany my Kartell table with Kartell chairs:
1622910331792.png

But it's probably too much plastic...
I also considered the transparent blue Louis Ghost chairs, and the new Jasper Morrison EVO-C, but same problem... Too much plastic.

Conclusion
I see this post is getting far too long, so I'm going to stop now before I bore you.
I wanted to also ask about white marble coffee tables (Saarinen oval vs Florence Knoll vs Paul McCobb Planner Table vs Jasper Morrison Plate Table vs Poul Kjærholm PK63), but I guess I'll do that in a future post ?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have many good ideas for your space @SirTylerGalt

Here is a suggestion for you. We decorated our home in all neutrals and find it calming and open. All of our upholstered furniture is off-white except for one set of chairs with a zig-zag pattern of light tan and off-white. When it came to chairs I liked adding tan leather. It compliments the lighter colors and materials. These were used for our kitchen and are Arne Jackobson. (As an aside, these leather pieces are the cut out left-overs from his egg chair). So you might want to consider a chair with chrome legs and tan leather instead of plastic or fabric? (we also had a tan leather swivel chair and ottoman man in a similar color)
IMG_4729.jpeg

This Botegga chair is a nice leather side chair for dinning and is available in many colors of leather including tan and off-white

image-asset.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that you'd want a different color for the chairs. Your floors have a fairly yellow tinge of wood so you would take that into account in deciding your color palette.

I'd suggest playing around with a color palette generator like http://colormind.io/ Lock in the blue shade from your sofa, the shade of gold of your floors, maybe that grey from the console you bought. Then cycle through some color combo ideas on screen. This may help you with discovery of another accent color to use for the chairs or for a rug

The violin chairs look really nice but it's hard to see them work with your table.

SirTylerGalt

Reaction score
Here is a suggestion for you. We decorated our home in all neutrals and find it calming and open. All of our upholstered furniture is off-white except for one set of chairs with a zig-zag pattern of light tan and off-white. When it came to chairs I liked adding tan leather. It compliments the lighter colors and materials. These were used for our kitchen and are Arne Jackobson. (As an aside, these leather pieces are the cut out left-overs from his egg chair). So you might want to consider a chair with chrome legs and tan leather instead of plastic or fabric? (we also had a tan leather swivel chair and ottoman man in a similar color)

You make very interesting suggestions!

My cousin actually sent me this picture for inspiration:
1622928391308.png

I dismissed it at first, because I was not a fan of the Bertoia chairs. But since you suggested leather, I dug the picture out, and I actually really like the color scheme: the tan leather goes very well with the white table and the floor.

I'm going to look at chairs using off-white fabrics or tan leather. Maybe a Gubi Beetle or Violin using those colors.

If I go that route, do you think I should get the base in chrome? Or mat black / chrome black? I wanted to use a black metal, because using chrome legs would introduce yet another metal in the living room, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

I agree that you'd want a different color for the chairs. Your floors have a fairly yellow tinge of wood so you would take that into account in deciding your color palette.
When you say I should get a different color, do you mean something else than blue? Or do you also mean something else than white/beige too?

I'd suggest playing around with a color palette generator like http://colormind.io/ Lock in the blue shade from your sofa, the shade of gold of your floors, maybe that grey from the console you bought. Then cycle through some color combo ideas on screen. This may help you with discovery of another accent color to use for the chairs or for a rug

That's a great website, I didn't know you could generate a color palette from a picture.
I scanned a picture of my current living room, and I get the following color palette:
1622930025835.png

Interestingly, it suggests a grey-beige color (ABA195) that looks quite similar to the "Pebble" color I chose for the TV console I ordered. This means I hopefully chose the right color ?

According to this color palette, I should probably get some off-white (D9D6D5), beige (ABA195) or tan (935B28) for my chairs.

The violin chairs look really nice but it's hard to see them work with your table.

Do you say that because the wood / fabric would clash with the white steel/laminate table? Or is it also related to the black metal base? If I get a chair with metal legs and fabric/leather, and avoid wood, will I be fine?

Thanks a lot for the great advice!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think their overall shape calls for a round or oval table. I'm sure it can work with a rectangular table but yours is really minimalist and I'mnot sure I see it.

SirTylerGalt

Reaction score
I'm also wondering what coffee table I should get.

I was thinking of a marble coffee table, because I read that it's always nice to mix materials in a living room (wood, metal, stone, fabric), and a marble coffee table is a great way to add stone.

It would probably be white/grey marble (carrera or arabescato), to go with the white/blue/wood color scheme.

I measured the space between my sofa and the future TV console, if I push my sofa back to the wall (which is not ideal), and I have 172 cm (67.7"). If I leave 37 cm between sofa and coffee table, and 65 cm between coffee table and TV console for circulation, I think I can afford a 70 cm wide coffee table (27.5").

Saarinen Oval Coffee Table

My first idea was to get the Saarinen Coffee Table 42" Oval in satin arabescato:

1622931547588.png

1622932535800.png

It is 70 cm wide (27.5"), but its oval shape eases circulation.
Also, since there is a single central piedestal leg, the floor seems more "spacious".
I also thought it was a beautiful piece, and a design classic.

I'm wondering if the style would go well with the rest of my furniture, since most of my furniture is "square", and this coffee table is so "round". But maybe that's actually a good thing?

Also, being a design classic can be a problem, since this coffee table is everywhere... While lurking the forums, I stumbled upon this thread on "the ubiquity of famous modern furniture pieces", which made me consider alternatives.

Also, there is a sale currently, I can get a Saarinen coffee table with 25% off, while others are only 10% off.

Florence Knoll Coffee Table

My second idea was the Florence Knoll™ Coffee Table 45" x 22" in satin arabescato:

1622932343397.png

1622932358811.png

It is 56 cm (22") wide, which leaves enough space for circulation.

If I get this one, I probably want chrome legs for my dining table chairs, and maybe chrome metal for my floor lamp.

Jasper Morrison - Plate Table (2004)

Another option is the Plate Table by Jasper Morrison:

1622933360032.png

1622933566425.png

It is available in width of 41 cm (16" 1/4) or 71 cm (28"). 71 cm might be too wide for a rectangular table though...

I think I prefer the Florence Knoll version, but this might grow on me...

Paul McCobb - Planner Table MC350

I also like Paul McCobb's Planner Table MC350:

1622933941590.png

1622935536009.png

It has a width of 70 cm (27.55"), which pushes the limit for a rectangular table, if I want to be able to walk around easily.

It is cream marble, not white. But it will probably work fine with my color scheme.

Gubi TS Coffee Tables (GamFratesi)

Another option would be to get two smaller tables:

1622934247483.png

A lower, wider one in white marble (55 cm diameter, 41 cm height):
1622934259672.png

A narrower, higher one in black or green (40 cm diameter, 51 cm height):

1622934497508.png

1622934508207.png

Or maybe a Hay Tulou coffee table (also designed by GamFratesi) for the second table:

1622934596735.png

Gubi TS and Hay Tulou Coffee Tables - GamFratesi.png

But using only one table might be more minimalist...

Conclusion

I'm not even sure if marble is the way to go. Maybe I should get a wooden or glass coffee table instead. I actually really liked the Noguchi in glass and maple, but 93 cm (36.5") is sadly far too wide for my living room.

If I get a marble table, I wonder if I should go for a design classic, which might be overexposed, or for more recent pieces.

Any advice is welcome ?

Last edited:

MBJB1

Reaction score
I wonder if any of you have experience with the DWR Note Side Chair. I need some stacking chairs I can stow away and bring out for the occasional dinner party, and prefer something made of wood that echoes the profile of my current dining room chairs, which the Note does. Not surprisingly I suppose, finding a stacking chair in the same price range as the Note and that fits my criteria is proving to be a challenge. Just curious of anyone has this chair and what they think of the quality and durability because I did not see much in the way of actual reviews online. I could go in a completely different direction, but am interested to know other’s experience if possible. Thanks for any thoughts.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any of you have experience with the DWR Note Side Chair. I need some stacking chairs I can stow away and bring out for the occasional dinner party, and prefer something made of wood that echoes the profile of my current dining room chairs, which the Note does. Not surprisingly I suppose, finding a stacking chair in the same price range as the Note and that fits my criteria is proving to be a challenge. Just curious of anyone has this chair and what they think of the quality and durability because I did not see much in the way of actual reviews online. I could go in a completely different direction, but am interested to know other’s experience if possible. Thanks for any thoughts.
What current full-time dining chairs are you using, that the DWR Note would mesh well with?

I can't speak to the long-term quality but I sat in one (the non-upholstered version) and found it uncomfortable, for long dinner sitting, and not that attractive a design (not ugly per se, more just bland). I have no experience with the upholstered version but I don't think it would make much difference for some reason; the discomfort was related to the proportions and back as well, not just the seat.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and there are tons of amazing ideas! Thought I might ask for some advice too ;)
I recently moved to a new apartment, and I'm progressively buying furniture (gave away the old Ikea stuff).

The living room:

Here are a few pictures of the living room:

View attachment 1620482

View attachment 1620483

View attachment 1620484

I obviously need to tidy everything up, get rid of the Ikea shelf, and I will soon receive my Spectral Next TV rack (with black metal legs and TV mount):

View attachment 1620485

For the colour palette, I was thinking of using mostly white, wood, beige, blue as an accent colour, and maybe green from plants and a few decorative items. And also some black where it cannot be avoided (TV, furniture legs, speakers).

Choice of dining chairs:

I plan to move my white Kartell Four table and use it as a dining table:

View attachment 1620486

But I am not sure what dining chairs to get, and what colour. The table has steel legs and a laminate top, which are "cold" materials, and I was told that using wooden chairs would not work with it. So I've been mostly looking at metal / plastic chairs.

One option would be the Gubi Beetle chairs by GamFratesi (which I can get for -30% off until Tuesday):

View attachment 1620455

Gubi Beetle plastic chair with chrome legs:
View attachment 1620458 View attachment 1620459 View attachment 1620460

Gubi Beetle plastic chair with black chrome legs:
View attachment 1620463 View attachment 1620462 View attachment 1620464

My first idea was to get the blue plastic chair with chrome legs:
- chrome legs because they are "light" so would "match" the white from the table (not sure it works like that?)
- blue because it would match the sofa
But maybe using blue chairs is too obvious, and it is better to repeat the blue accent colour in smaller decorative items, since I already have a huge blue sofa. In this case, I should use more "neutral colours" for those chairs.

So the second idea was to get the beige plastic chair with black chrome legs, since it would match the black and beige TV rack, and beige is a more "neutral colour".
But I wonder if it would match the all white table...

Another idea would be to get the white plastic chair with black chrome legs, and go for a monochromatic look.

Gubi Beetle Upholstered with metal legs:

View attachment 1620456

View attachment 1620478 View attachment 1620481

One advantage of upholstered versions, is that they cannot get scratched like the plastic ones.
But I wonder if such fabrics would go well with the metal and laminate of the Kartell table?

Gubi Violin Chairs:

I have also seen the new Gubi Violin chairs, also by GamFratesi:

View attachment 1620470

View attachment 1620471

I like them, but I haven't be able to sit in them yet, and they are 4 times more expensive than the plastic chairs.

Eames DSR with white metal base:

Another option would be the Eames DSR:

View attachment 1620449

The white metal base would go with the white table, which lets me choose any colour for the top, without having to worry about matching it to the table.
But I feel those Eames chairs are overexposed, and the metal base seems a little "busy"...

Kartell Masters by Philippe Starck:

I could also accompany my Kartell table with Kartell chairs:
View attachment 1620476

But it's probably too much plastic...
I also considered the transparent blue Louis Ghost chairs, and the new Jasper Morrison EVO-C, but same problem... Too much plastic.

Conclusion
I see this post is getting far too long, so I'm going to stop now before I bore you.
I wanted to also ask about white marble coffee tables (Saarinen oval vs Florence Knoll vs Paul McCobb Planner Table vs Jasper Morrison Plate Table vs Poul Kjærholm PK63), but I guess I'll do that in a future post ?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Dining chairs.
That Starck chair is not good, really.
I suggest you look also at Vico Magistretti if you are interested in Kartell chairs for your Kartell table. The "Maui" is a great chair.

kartell-maui-chair-with-writing-tablet-with-inspiration-ideas-kartell-maui-chair.jpg

Vico Magistretti, Kartell "Maui" dining chair.

I like the Violin chairs, but not with that particular table. Imo often the Eames are great (I agree with you completely on not with the Eiffel base) but in this case do look at Magistretti.

For upholstered dining chairs the Saarinen is very comfortable, and I think more special, more fluid and less frenetic, than the Gubi Beetle or Violin, etc. I definitely prefer the Saarinen with metal legs rather than wood with that Kartell table.

Regarding the coffee table, the smaller Gubi or Hay (1x or 2x) feel odd, very over-done, and I personally do not like the Morrison much.
The Knoll, Saarinen, McCobb you posted, or Kjaerholm "PK61" or Knoll "Laccio" are all very beautiful and elegant marble-top coffee tables.

EDIT:
I appreciate the effort you have made to clearly and thoroughly describe your situation and desires, as well as include your own thoughts along with the photographs and links you have kindly provided. Very thoughtful, clearly considered, well organized. Bravo.
?

Last edited:

MBJB1

Reaction score
What current full-time dining chairs are you using, that the DWR Note would mesh well with?

I can't speak to the long-term quality but I sat in one (the non-upholstered version) and found it uncomfortable, for long dinner sitting, and not that attractive a design (not ugly per se, more just bland). I have no experience with the upholstered version but I don't think it would make much difference for some reason; the discomfort was related to the proportions and back as well, not just the seat.

Thanks--that is helpful to know. We have some Frem Rojle from the 60s that are really comfortable, with the angled back you see on lots of other MCM chairs. That was the main thing I was thinking about with the Note. But maybe better to just skip the rough similarity.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks--that is helpful to know. We have some Frem Rojle from the 60s that are really comfortable, with the angled back you see on lots of other MCM chairs. That was the main thing I was thinking about with the Note. But maybe better to just skip the rough similarity.
You're welcome. Your decision of course, but imo very often "closely matched but not the same" is more awkward and odd than "clearly mismatched because of temporary versus permanent use".

Maybe post a photo(s) of the specific Frem Røjle chairs you have, in order to garner more suggestions.

MBJB1

Reaction score
You're welcome. Your decision of course, but imo very often "closely matched but not the same" is more awkward and odd than "clearly mismatched because of temporary versus permanent use".

Maybe post a photo(s) of the specific Frem Røjle chairs you have, in order to garner more suggestions.

That's a good point--thanks. This is the chair. Any suggestions for stackable chairs that would look okay with it would be welcome. It is a narrow dining room and we had the table built to fit the space. It has extensions we can add to it for guests, which is when we would use the additional chairs.

IMG_0176.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members