• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We supplemented the Pillivuyt dinnerware with small plates, serving dishes and bowls, and other pieces by local potters. A lot of stuff from Sherry Olsen like below. I'm not sure she's still making functional ceramics, unfortunately.

iu

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like those!

I bought a new desk from Mattaliano. It looks like it's about to scuttle out the office and down the hall at any moment. My top is in black walnut not the grey in the stock image.

details.jpg

Have a couple of their drink tables too. The metalwork is very pleasing.

details-2.jpg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the porcelain dishes from Muji because I think they are a little bit smaller than the typical American equivalent and works better for my life style.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We also have this vintage Arabia Finland stoneware stuff which fits our mid-century vibe, and Ittala stemware which I love, but I've never encountered plain white crockery in person from Ittala and I think that will always be my preference. I see online now that it exists, which is pretty cool. Our friend has all of that Taika stuff though which is a lot of fun for sure, but she's from Sweden so we assumed it just came as part of her package.

mod-vintage-Arabia-Finland-china-Anemone-blue-band-stoneware-pottery-plates-1stopretroshop-nt1059-3.jpg
Wow, that Arabia is exactly what we (myself + 2 brothers) grew up with! I love it.

My parents bought a full set when I was barely born, I inherited it, I'm near 60 now myself...and it is still going as strong as ever, with very few pieces replaced. It is really beautiful stuff.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Take a look at the modular Elan sofa system from Cappellini. Jasper Morrison design. Easily complements mid-century.

Thanks, the Elan sofa might work. The steel base makes it appear lighter than other modular sofas and the price is quite reasonable.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone lives near Berkeley and is looking for unique and stylish ceramic dishes and serving pieces head to The Gardner on Fourth Street. They also have a small spot at the SF Ferry Building. A great source for unique wooden cutting boards as well. (great gift ideas).

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't live near Berkeley, but I am looking for unique and stylish serving dishes.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Those are very nice.

lefty

Thank you!

Wow, that Arabia is exactly what we (myself + 2 brothers) grew up with! I love it.
My parents bought a full set when I was barely born, I inherited it, I'm near 60 now myself...and it is still going as strong as ever, with very few pieces replaced. It is really beautiful stuff.

Wow, good to hear. They were my in-laws and I know they had them before my wife was born, but I don't know exactly when they got them. I'll be seeing them in a few months so I'll be sure to ask them about it. I do like them a lot.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@steveoffice I've also been looking for new dinneware. Something natural stoneware/pottery but with clean lines. Heath is kind of a no brainer. I like that they are in my backyard. But some of it feels kinda heavy and big to me. I've been looking at Japanese stuff like Hasami and Kinto. Maybe someone has another reco' in that vein.

LS_Hasami_milk_picther_black_1_1400x.jpg
iu-1.jpeg

I'm looking for some minimal, don't-take-up-too-much-space dining chairs.

Dining room update: my quest for updating the dining chairs has snowballed into "maybe I should renovate the whole house". Oy! So, the chair quest is on hold for now until bigger plan is put in place. However, I'm still kinda leaning toward something in the Wegner Mobler realm. What can I say, I like the Beatles : D .

Additional question for those who have cord chairs, are there any good people that can repair or re-cord on the west coast? I've got a couple old CH25s that have both come undone at the front edge.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@steveoffice I've also been looking for new dinneware. Something natural stoneware/pottery but with clean lines. Heath is kind of a no brainer. I like that they are in my backyard. But some of it feels kinda heavy and big to me. I've been looking at Japanese stuff like Hasami and Kinto. Maybe someone has another reco' in that vein.

View attachment 1124337 View attachment 1124338

Dining room update: my quest for updating the dining chairs has snowballed into "maybe I should renovate the whole house". Oy! So, the chair quest is on hold for now until bigger plan is put in place. However, I'm still kinda leaning toward something in the Wegner Mobler realm. What can I say, I like the Beatles : D .

Additional question for those who have cord chairs, are there any good people that can repair or re-cord on the west coast? I've got a couple old CH25s that have both come undone at the front edge.
David Johnson (Sidecar Furniture) is in LA, and he repairs and restores that kind of stuff. His work is really nice.

It's also not so difficult to do it yourself with a couple youtube videos and the right supplies. The supplies are simple and inexpensive. I don't know where on the west coast you are, but Frank's Cane & Rush supply is in Huntington Beach, and The Caning Shop is in Berkeley.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, Bromley! David looks like the man for the job. I'm in SF, maybe I can ship them to him? Or I'll have to road trip. If I had enough patience, I would try it myself, but I'm afraid I'd get frustrated halfway through and leave them in a bad state. Good to know about the supply shops though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a new chandelier for our entry stairway. This would suspend from the 13’ high ceiling at the top of our steps, where the combined hallway and stairs are about 9’ wide. We will also have recessed lighting so overall light thrown is a secondary priority.

Our apartment is Victorian with some modern touches.

Right now a version of this with 9 lamps from ET2 is a leading contender:
6FD6CD55-7052-4DFD-936B-BBF39D77D129.jpeg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Your space is ~18' L x 9' H x 13' H (from the top landing), with no openings (other than a door)?

A grouping of 9 seems like an awful lot of lamps for such a relatively confined space.

The recessed lighting is in the ceiling also, correct? At the center, or at the edges?
I'm curious: why have both recessed and pendant lighting over a stair?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The grouping of 6 seemed a bit small to me; it’s also on a linear
rather than a circular base. The 9 hangs on a 24” circular base.

The recessed lighting will provide additional illumination over the base of the steps and at the far end of the hall from the chandelier, as well as a couple of spotlights for art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads