• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our new dining room light:

Installed it myself. Very proud.

I don't know what electrical connections etc are like in the US, but isn't it generally best to get a licensed electrician to do the work when installing lights and so on?

(Having said that, my dad used to replace power points (or power outlets, whatever you like to call them) and he put up a lot of lights in his workshop in the garage, but that was 25 years ago.)

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Putting up a ceiling light is really simple when replacing an existing fixture. Starting from scratch usually requires a professional though.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The plane finish shows through as a better looking end result in that cases that I have used both.

Water based finishes will raise a fuss on a sanded finish, this wont happen with a planed finish because the fuss isnt created by them.

I sand end grain, reason being that it needs to be polished.

Thanks for that. I think there must be some kind of burnishing like actuon going on when you plane so finely (the end of the grain is getting stuffed down). I've always found that water based finishes will raise the grain on a planed surface, but I'm not taking off such fine shavings as you.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if you guys are curious of the details of this project, but here we go;

Mock up to check square and mark out the tenons. I used the cut side as a template to mark out the opposite side, then double check that I'm going to hit my marks once the center crossmember is tightened up. All looks good and the frame is square.

Also very important to keep an eye out for twist. These outside joints are square solid and square, but before they're wedged it is quite important to make sure the frame does not have twist in it. That can be done very similarly to how one would eye-ball winding sticks since these outside frame members are also consistent in thickness and height.

Starting square

And on the exit (inside of the board) within the requisite boundaries.

Moarrr.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Our new dining room light:

noolight_zpsnyxwxbux.jpg~original

Installed it myself. Very proud.

Seriously? You spend all this time agonizing over every piece for your apartment, and then you put up a contractor special light fixture?

:confused:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:embar:
I like it. It has a niCe warmth while remaining decidedly contemporary

Right. Realized we were over-thinking things and decided to just go with what feels nice.

Seriously? You spend all this time agonizing over every piece for your apartment, and then you put up a contractor special light fixture?

:confused:

It's not a "contractor special." Went to the store and picked it out. Seriously, wife and I realized as much as we enjoy design, maybe we don't need to obsess and try so hard.

Seriously--don't like it?

Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
I am sorry, Foo, but Sugarbutch got an excellent point (On the fixture and on possibly being trolled?). Kudos for installing it yourself. But a dining room (Over the table? Don't I remember a Dixon focuser or something?) will likely call for something a bit more stylish/ dramatic/less Home Depot, etc. fixture. Cool ones don't have to be expensive ...

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this. It is difficult to add anything to mid-century vocabulary , but this Sean Yoo guy managed to do just that.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics