1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Cappellini Elan by Jasper Morrison.

It was designed in 1999, pretty sure that it has inspired a few ikea designs over the years.

What catches your interest?

2. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel
    I am fond of personality when it comes to everything. A lot of modern furniture has none and looks to be built with sole intent to be cheaply produced and easily shipped.
    to clarify, I like all of these sofas , all of them have been designed and have that personality aspect that I am looking for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

MW, I find that to be the case with contemporary furniture, but not so much with modern furniture. The overarching intention of modern design was to create something that can be produced while maintaining quality of workmanship and quality of design. It was reaction to the late 19th century where mass produced meant cheaply done and poorly designed that was a middle ground between the ubiquitous factory made furniture of the time and the extreme of arts and crafts.

What we're left with is something that is made in continuous production with a largely human element, as most of it cannot be produced in it's original specifications without handwork and the application of expert skill.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

nice.

Ours would hang next to an LC and a Dixon bird chair, which will probably leave a lot of our guests confused as to what's going on in the living room.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Now the SF Approved Sofa. Ours should be here in a few months.

6. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Looking at lounge chair options at the moment,

I have always wanted a Bertoia bird chair, but it is not a favourite with the wife. Like most people she doesn't find it comfortable, whereas I find it very much so.

7. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior Member

terrible.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

do not enter the "eames lounge chair replica" thread :dozingoff:

the dixon bird chair is amazing, and comfortable too. It takes up a good amount of space, I guess only drawback.

We also looked at the Low-Pad, also looks great and a super small footprint.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:fistbump: This is what I was expecting.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I think we could write a bot to replace unnamed player in this thread.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Looks fine to me, just avoid the "city's most eligible bachelor/James Bond lifestyle" pitfall, those are the worst places, displacing McMansions at the #1 spot. Owning up to being a boozer is quite allright.

12. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Been keeping an eye on that thread on and off. :facepalm:

I really like the dixon bird, but it won't be suitable in our livingroom. Wouldn't mind one in the bedroom though, looks like it could be a lot of fun there :D

The LC3 with down cushions is another one I really like, but not sure the room can take the visual impact (it feels very big and clumsy visually). But maybe one of the newer LC2's in colour and fabric could be an option. But ideally I would like to have a chair where I can sit back and enjoy a book for a couple of hours, and cannot see the LC2 as one I want to do it in.

The wife likes the Saarinen Womb chair, I like it too. But not sure. Especially with the prices in Europe on these things.

13. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Always the last to know. We're waiting on a pair of circa '70s Milo Baughman sofas to come back from the upholsterer.

Just missed out on this bad boy - Platner Floating Sofa:

[​IMG]
    lefty

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

shit, that reminds me, new pillows are being made. or supposed to be made, not sure of the status.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

I own the lc2 3 seat and lc3 club chair both in down cushions, they're both comfortable but I prefer the LC2. That being said, neither is comfortable for hours of upright sitting. I like my Eames lounge and ottoman for that.

I use the lc2 like a daybed. (Sleep off a lunchtime drink or three).