1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    That 'whishbone' chair in SG post is sold by All White or White on White store for a song. It looks good in RL.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't refer to its intended usage or say you can't put it around a table. My point was simply that the Tokyo's simpler form makes it better in multiples.

3. mafoofan

It's also appreciably different from Gomestar's chair, which I think is quite a bit more elegant, regardless of its newer origin or derivative design.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Just a simple country wood table, nice aged wood but nothing particularly impressive or jarring. I used to put my cutout of Jean-Louis David's portrait of Napoléon in its hidden drawer when I was a kid so I like it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  5. mafoofan

Gorgeous table I saw a year or two ago and didn't remember until just now:

[​IMG]

As expensive as you'd imagine. More reasonable wooden version in coffee table form:

[​IMG]

Which is reminiscent of this superior Bouroullec table you can't get anymore:

[​IMG]

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Alright, no need to take a swing at me;

My issue with both of these chairs is that they remove all of the finer points of both (gome's less so as it's arguably an interpretation of a Ming chair and not of a wegner interpretation of a ming chair). It appears to me more as cost cutting than a unique perspective. Even Wegner's most accessible chairs are quite thoughtful in their creation and built to last.

The Ming era craftsman were creating incredible works that represent a high point in structural use of wood, they did not take steps to hide their process. They must have had to work economically as anyone else has, but it is not at a sacrifice to structural integrity and that is clearly visible in their work, much of it which has survived and remained in very good condition.

Ming furniture is relatively simple in appearance, yet it is not without considerable effort in it's process and considerable detail in it's construction. It is just as satisfying to view as a woodworker as it is to anyone else. Wegner's interpretation is a nod to this, all of the construction methods employed in the creation of his chairs are sturdy, practical and chosen above cheaper method which will not survive.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

The B&B marble table is just the kind of knee-busting bullshit I wish didn't exist. It looks nice as a coffee table though...

Fuck the Bouroullec though.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Chair is nice in black but I don't see you buying a black chair...

9. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

I have to agree - Another monstrous marble atrocity. Even the Bouroullec table ... and I am a huge fan of theirs ....

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

most B&B Italia stuff is lame

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

FAT stuff is cool. In the end though I may complain about individual pieces in here but once I see them arranged in someone's interior I am very open-minded and mainly care about the overall results.Not much of a furniture nerd like Goomba or an obsessive like foo. Not sayin' Gomba or Foo are wrong or anything btw.

12. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Check out La Chance's Magnum table. Can do it in marble, wood, colors or a combination - as sedate as you want or as funky as you want. And La Chance is an absloute awesome French design duo ...

13. mafoofan

Agreed. But not these tables.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I can totally see Foo getting it in some electric yellow tabletop and silver-painted metal with wooden legs. Is it available in the USA?

15. mafoofan

The silver-painted metal sounds . . . not good.

Not sure about the tabletop, but the marble legs are too cool.

16. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Yes, I got a few smaller La Chance pieces. A Plus R in LA carries them.

I would love it in a walnut top, marble legs, black base ...

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

If you're feeling indecisive

[​IMG]

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dat blowjob art, tho...

[​IMG]

19. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

That's one hell of a nicely furnished brothel.

1 person likes this.
  20. mafoofan