• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Cappellini Elan by Jasper Morrison.

It was designed in 1999, pretty sure that it has inspired a few ikea designs over the years.

What catches your interest?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fond of personality when it comes to everything. A lot of modern furniture has none and looks to be built with sole intent to be cheaply produced and easily shipped.
to clarify, I like all of these sofas , all of them have been designed and have that personality aspect that I am looking for.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MW, I find that to be the case with contemporary furniture, but not so much with modern furniture. The overarching intention of modern design was to create something that can be produced while maintaining quality of workmanship and quality of design. It was reaction to the late 19th century where mass produced meant cheaply done and poorly designed that was a middle ground between the ubiquitous factory made furniture of the time and the extreme of arts and crafts.

What we're left with is something that is made in continuous production with a largely human element, as most of it cannot be produced in it's original specifications without handwork and the application of expert skill.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

nice.

Ours would hang next to an LC and a Dixon bird chair, which will probably leave a lot of our guests confused as to what's going on in the living room.

Now the SF Approved Sofa. Ours should be here in a few months.

Reaction score

nice.

Ours would hang next to an LC and a Dixon bird chair, which will probably leave a lot of our guests confused as to what's going on in the living room.

Looking at lounge chair options at the moment,

I have always wanted a Bertoia bird chair, but it is not a favourite with the wife. Like most people she doesn't find it comfortable, whereas I find it very much so.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Had the guy over yesterday and put in our order. He hopes to have it built and installed in 4-5 weeks. I might even take a pic of the finished job and post it but here's his initial drawing. Top doors are beveled glass, the outside set on either side will have undershelf stem hangers and we calculate I should be able to hang about six dozen stems. The bottom two rows are pull out drawers where my bottles will stand up. As you can see from the side there is a bit of a counter top, just a narrow one, that will be made for cherry and not designed to leave things on.

So this is built to fit into the rear wall of my bar area. Currently behind the bar there is a normal size countertop, with cabinets and an undercounter wine fridge, and a higher counter faces out. I think it's going to be highly functional which is the most important thing to me. Right now all my glassware is around the corner in the butler's pantry. On the side view you can see how he's built it to fit under the soffit.

I know this is the opposite of SF design zeitgeist but I think it'll suit my purposes and not offend anyone I'm likely to have over.
terrible.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Looking at lounge chair options at the moment,

I have always wanted a Bertoia bird chair, but it is not a favourite with the wife. Like most people she doesn't find it comfortable, whereas I find it very much so.

do not enter the "eames lounge chair replica" thread :dozingoff:

the dixon bird chair is amazing, and comfortable too. It takes up a good amount of space, I guess only drawback.

We also looked at the Low-Pad, also looks great and a super small footprint.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Had the guy over yesterday and put in our order. He hopes to have it built and installed in 4-5 weeks. I might even take a pic of the finished job and post it but here's his initial drawing. Top doors are beveled glass, the outside set on either side will have undershelf stem hangers and we calculate I should be able to hang about six dozen stems. The bottom two rows are pull out drawers where my bottles will stand up. As you can see from the side there is a bit of a counter top, just a narrow one, that will be made for cherry and not designed to leave things on.

So this is built to fit into the rear wall of my bar area. Currently behind the bar there is a normal size countertop, with cabinets and an undercounter wine fridge, and a higher counter faces out. I think it's going to be highly functional which is the most important thing to me. Right now all my glassware is around the corner in the butler's pantry. On the side view you can see how he's built it to fit under the soffit.

I know this is the opposite of SF design zeitgeist but I think it'll suit my purposes and not offend anyone I'm likely to have over.

Looks fine to me, just avoid the "city's most eligible bachelor/James Bond lifestyle" pitfall, those are the worst places, displacing McMansions at the #1 spot. Owning up to being a boozer is quite allright.

Reaction score

do not enter the "eames lounge chair replica" thread :dozingoff:

the dixon bird chair is amazing, and comfortable too. It takes up a good amount of space, I guess only drawback.

We also looked at the Low-Pad, also looks great and a super small footprint.

Been keeping an eye on that thread on and off. :facepalm:

I really like the dixon bird, but it won't be suitable in our livingroom. Wouldn't mind one in the bedroom though, looks like it could be a lot of fun there :D

The LC3 with down cushions is another one I really like, but not sure the room can take the visual impact (it feels very big and clumsy visually). But maybe one of the newer LC2's in colour and fabric could be an option. But ideally I would like to have a chair where I can sit back and enjoy a book for a couple of hours, and cannot see the LC2 as one I want to do it in.

The wife likes the Saarinen Womb chair, I like it too. But not sure. Especially with the prices in Europe on these things.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now the SF Approved Sofa. Ours should be here in a few months.

Always the last to know. We're waiting on a pair of circa '70s Milo Baughman sofas to come back from the upholsterer.

Just missed out on this bad boy - Platner Floating Sofa:

lefty

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Been keeping an eye on that thread on and off. :facepalm:

I really like the dixon bird, but it won't be suitable in our livingroom. Wouldn't mind one in the bedroom though, looks like it could be a lot of fun there :D

The LC3 with down cushions is another one I really like, but not sure the room can take the visual impact (it feels very big and clumsy visually). But maybe one of the newer LC2's in colour and fabric could be an option. But ideally I would like to have a chair where I can sit back and enjoy a book for a couple of hours, and cannot see the LC2 as one I want to do it in.

The wife likes the Saarinen Womb chair, I like it too. But not sure. Especially with the prices in Europe on these things.

I own the lc2 3 seat and lc3 club chair both in down cushions, they're both comfortable but I prefer the LC2. That being said, neither is comfortable for hours of upright sitting. I like my Eames lounge and ottoman for that.

I use the lc2 like a daybed. (Sleep off a lunchtime drink or three).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads