• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Second, I mocked up the updated layout where everything is shifted 90 degrees to focus less on the tv and more on a group conversation. I'm currently just using the Eames in this setup, but it's not what we want. We'd have to ditch the Eames chair and get two smaller chairs opposite the couch instead. Then we could put a small table and two chairs in place of the Eames chair. Think of a small round table like at a Parisian cafe, but we're not 100% convinced we need to do this. We'd also probably ditch the large speakers as the area is feeling too crowded and I don't like how the coach now blocks the left speaker. Curious if folks have any thoughts.

I've got an old Eames/ottoman that I've used for my tv/music chair for a long time. I just moved it from the 'library' (why does that always sound so pretentious when I say it but if YOU say it it makes sense?) to the living room. I had an older DWR Reid sofa refoamed and now I crash on that when I watch and listen. I miss the Eames but I'm getting used to the sofa--and my Labrador can get up there with me. But, it's a dedicated library/TV/music room, so I can make it work. I mean, it's not really a multi-purpose living/tv/music room--there's a separate living room--and the Eames doesn't really work there--so we'll see.

Not sure about your layout, but I sure wouldn't like a speaker firing into the side of a sofa. I wonder if maybe smaller stand-mount speakers with a sub or two might work better?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, and I fully agree. If you're interested, here's a link with some photos of my living room.

The original layout is first and has the Eames chair off perpendicular to the couch, but because of the room's layout, it is too far to feel fully integrated if you want to converse with someone on the couch.

Second, I mocked up the updated layout where everything is shifted 90 degrees to focus less on the tv and more on a group conversation. I'm currently just using the Eames in this setup, but it's not what we want. We'd have to ditch the Eames chair and get two smaller chairs opposite the couch instead. Then we could put a small table and two chairs in place of the Eames chair. Think of a small round table like at a Parisian cafe, but we're not 100% convinced we need to do this. We'd also probably ditch the large speakers as the area is feeling too crowded and I don't like how the coach now blocks the left speaker. Curious if folks have any thoughts.

I would leave couch facing TV. Realistically, that’s the most functional orientation most of the time, as much as any of us would like to pretend otherwise. Also, the TV on the console is a focal point no matter what and it would look/feel strange for no seating or furniture to be oriented toward it. Moreover, couch with back to window means you don’t get to enjoy the view and light from your most commonly used seating. Plus, it would add another barrier between inside and outside, which is usually opposite of what one wants and will make the room feel more closed in.

Instead of moving the couch, I’d ditch the Eames LCW. I’d also move the Eames lounge chair—it is a great chair but not very social. It is more of a “leave me the f*ck alone while I nap / read my book” kind of seat. Instead, replace it with two smaller upright lounge chairs or a love seat, perpendicular to the couch and facing the windows.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found the matching desk to foo’s coffee table

AF80344E-72A8-40EA-B22A-90911EAC298A.jpeg

Pricey!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
15 years ago I bought a new DWR Reid sofa in black leather with the down cushion options. The cushions had always been too soft and I rarely sat on it. My Labrador loves it, but he never fluffs the cushions back up again so it's always a mess. Last month I took the cushions in and had the down replaced with firmer foam. The damn thing looks showroom new.

sftiger

Reaction score
The CEO of MillerKnoll Andi Owen is making the news and gone viral.

Perfectly reasonable message delivered in an absolutely idiotic way. Don't these people get paid enough to have coaches/advisors to help them not do stupid stuff like this?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, I didn't even notice this when I posted it:
1681834858033.png

that's right folks--we're going to make it look like plywood in order to add that quality feel.

Everybody here knows that plywood and MDF have their place (and are sometimes kept visible for aesthetic reasons), especially when you're looking for dimensional stability, but even then they usually put wood grain edge banding on to hide it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perfectly reasonable message delivered in an absolutely idiotic way. Don't these people get paid enough to have coaches/advisors to help them not do stupid stuff like this?

It’s the condescending video paired with the fact she’s almost guaranteed to get a bonus in the millions under her contract. Completely tone deaf.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matteo LA is still doing their 50% off sale, with code WS2023. Not marketed.

Damn, I misspoke - it's per cart, and only if it's been sitting in there for a week. They issue a unique GUID that allows you to use it from a particular cart view.

I suppose if I don't use my GUID, I could pass it along. Alternately, just reach out to CS and ask.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw the Dyson hair dryer pop up on slickdeals for a still crazy but slightly-more-reasonable price so I kopped one for my wife
954061930_3_720x928.webp

Dang, these things really are a marvel. I don't dry my hair often, but it is quieter, blows faster, has adjustments for both speed and heat, and has a bunch of quality-feeling magnetic attachments. The compact form factor also feels better for actually using on your own hair.

I don't know how much of that truly comes from the unique design vs just being an overbuilt uncompromising hair dryer designed by a bunch of engineers...but it does look cooler sitting in the bathroom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads