• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crider8883
What color are these shoes?

They are brown. What color do they appear?

Originally Posted by Holdfast

Needs a lighter blue to the shirt I think.

It is a bit more pale than it appears.

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
i like the shoes! where might they be from?

They are vintage Wright Cordwainers. No longer manufactured.

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You mean the V shaped lacing? No it's not uncomfortable at all, quite the opposite. I have a high instep for my foot size so when a RTW shoe fits well in length and width, the instep would be too tight if I laced it up tightly. Which is also one reason monks and loafers can be uncomfortable for me, even in my usual last/size.

So the shoes are actually only comfortable when laced in a more open V. Does that make sense?

Got you, yes.

I understand that they need to be open because of your instep, but thought that all that taut lacing would then strain downwards against the tongue when walking, making it uncomfortable, whereas when one can pull the gap narrower due to a more typical fit , the pressure would be partly distributed away from the top of the foot and down through the quarters (correct terminology?).

Have you ever considered going down the MTO/bespoke route?

wmb

Reaction score
ManofKent;4263911 said:
^ Manton those are serious lapels. This is not a suit that is going to go unnoticed in an office
smile.gif

+1 -- don't think this look is C... nice though.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition

Communque, @radicaldog: the shirt is L.Cratico - you can find 'em cheap in Italy, and the only site I saw that sells them is in Japanese.

Thanks, will look for them (I'll be back there a couple of times next month: Turin, Milan, then Le Marche).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I like this but it would've worked better with a sky blue shirt.

I don't know about better. Equally well.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this but it would've worked better with a sky blue shirt.

Originally Posted by Manton

If I'd gone w/ sky blue, I'dve been tempted to go with the ugly brown shoes that Manton hates.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's just that the charcoal-white-light grey colour combination looks a bit too nuptial to my eye. But of course the textures more than save the day here.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's just that the charcoal-white-light grey colour combination looks a bit too nuptial to my eye. But of course the textures more than save the day here.

I wear exactly the same thing to formal(ish) events in winter and I think it works well.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Not sure if you're saying the suit looks dark grey to you, but it is a very dark navy. Here's a snap in more direct light.

I saw it as dark grey too - not that it matters. I have a dark navy DB blazer that I can't photograph as navy no matter what white balance I try.

+1
Originally Posted by TRINI
If I'd gone w/ sky blue, I'dve been tempted to go with the ugly brown shoes that Manton hates.

smile.gif
Could be worse, could be tassel loafers
wink.gif

What's the thinking behind brown rather than black shoes with a blue shirt?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Got you, yes.

I understand that they need to be open because of your instep, but thought that all that taut lacing would then strain downwards against the tongue when walking, making it uncomfortable, whereas when one can pull the gap narrower due to a more typical fit , the pressure would be partly distributed away from the top of the foot and down through the quarters (correct terminology?).

Have you ever considered going down the MTO/bespoke route?

No, there isn't any additional tension compared to a shoe that's laced completely closed. I guess I'm not explaining myself correctly here but they are laced this way precisely to adapt snuggly to the shape of my instep, exactly the same way someone with a lower instep would get a comfortable fit by lacing them more closed. It's really no more or less comfortable.

Many of my shoes are MTO (Vass) but there's no adjustment for instep there. Never considered bespoke shoes because I'm happy with RTW fit in the handful of lasts that fit me well.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Could be worse, could be tassel loafers
wink.gif
[

This is true.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
What's the thinking behind brown rather than black shoes with a blue shirt?

I'm no colour theorist but I tend to associate the blue with a warmer palette which would call for brown IM0 whereas the white shirt is starker and colder and calls for black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads