• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Here it is, for reference:
HeavyLinen2.JPG
Opinions? Mike

Just for the record, I don't believe this pattern is ever conservative business dress and I don't believe anything with a pink overcheck would be conservative business dress. I am trying to imagine under what conditions a pink PS might be conservative business dress. So far, I am failing, but that might be down to my lack of imagination.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying this thread and, by my standards, am dressed fairly conservative business dress today... so:

DSC01842.jpg
DSC01844.jpg
photo.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Just for the record, I don't believe this pattern is ever conservative business dress and I don't believe anything with a pink overcheck would be conservative business dress. I am trying to imagine under what conditions a pink PS might be conservative business dress. So far, I am failing, but that might be down to my lack of imagination.

It is not conservative business dress. I just put it up because Manton and I were discussing the square choice.

What about picking up something from the jacket. Today (I am not conservative business dress, so not posting over here) I have a pink linen square in place, which picks up the pink overcheck in a POW SC. Too much? I thought it worked, but I admit to not being a master of the PS arts....and usually wear a white TV fold.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
I've been enjoying this thread and, by my standards, am dressed fairly conservative business dress today... so:
Needs a square.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Needs a square.
Normally I would wear a plain white PS with this sort of fit (actually, I wear a plain white PS about 90% of the time I'm wearing a suit) but I recently saw a grey/blue/blue combination sans PS that I really liked and wanted to try something similar. For what it's worth, I was pleased with the result myself (obviously there was quite a bit more contrast in proper light).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm proud of the fact that so far I'm the only person to post something that's actually conservative.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
DSC01844.jpg
photo.jpg

Apart from the shoes, isn't this UCBD?
It is not conservative business dress. I just put it up because Manton and I were discussing the square choice.
I did see that. But I think every picture that gets posted in this thread should be analyzed through the conservative business dress lens. It makes it a much greater learning tool. I thought your outfit was an excellent example of something that looks good and, yet, is well outside the acceptable range of conservative business dress.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did see that. But I think every picture that gets posted in this thread should be analyzed through the conservative business dress lens. It makes it a much greater learning tool.

I thought your outfit was an excellent example of something that looks good and, yet, is well outside the acceptable range of conservative business dress.

Oh, well I have no qualms about it being discussed here. I just was not offering it up as an example of conservative business dress. I would call it SFBD (semi flamboyant business dress). I am wearing it in the office today, and I am an attorney .
lol8[1].gif

Oh, and thanks.

Mike

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Btw, I find this the most interesting of all the Mantonian pronouncements.

I love solid socks because it's one less pattern I have to worry about coordinating.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

I actually think that solid socks are actually be more difficult to coordinate; there's a narrower range of acceptable contrast between two solid colors than between a solid and a pattern.

Plus solid socks slowly kill the soul. I only have one solid black pair for formal occasions.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
I actually think that solid socks are actually be more difficult to coordinate; there's a narrower range of acceptable contrast between two solid colors than between a solid and a pattern.

Plus solid socks slowly kill the soul. I only have one solid black pair for formal occasions.

I was wondering what it was that was doing that to me
confused.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the shoes, isn't this UCBD?
I agree - swap the shoes for oxfords and it would be as conservative as you could get. I like Ob5curity's clean fit's, and he has the perfect build for them. Having said that PS would add a touch of flair without moving it from conservative business dress.

I did see that. But I think every picture that gets posted in this thread should be analyzed through the conservative business dress lens. It makes it a much greater learning tool.

I thought your outfit was an excellent example of something that looks good and, yet, is well outside the acceptable range of conservative business dress.

I agree - there needs to be boundaries slightly pushed to define what is conservative business dress and what isn't without the thread being just a 'what I wore to work thread'.

It's a great thread so far.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I was wondering what it was that was doing that to me
confused.gif

No, it is not the socks...it is the French smokes.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it is not the socks...it is the French smokes.

LOL! probably, but fooling myself into thinking that it's the socks makes me feel better
laugh.gif

However, I'm pretty sure it's neither of these but working for the Miranda Priestly of the Architectural World!

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would wear trini's tie with a blue suit and shirt.

On wedding ties, I love them, but tend to avoid them for business. I say "tend" because I love them so much that I often wear them anyway.

I think for a loud tie to work, it needs to have the subtlest of backgrounds, i.e., plain shirts. Otherwise both compete for attention, and draw people's eyes towards the chest as opposed to the face where they should be guided towards.

For TRINI's tie, a pale blue (or white, of course) shirt would work for me. Any darker blue, and it would start competing with the blue flowers, not quite the same tone, but not sufficiently far apart.

One of my favourite ties has pale-goldish hue with a check pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads