• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
But how do you really feel?

We'll just agree to disagree. :^)

Did that come off too strong?

It's just my personal preference. To each his own of course - nothing inherently wrong or un-conservative business dress about side tabs, I just dislike them.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Did that come off too strong?

It's just my personal preference. To each his own of course - nothing inherently wrong or un-conservative business dress about side tabs, I just dislike them.

Not too strong at all. The word "hate" can have somewhat strong connotations. Definitely a personal choice as is everything.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
4zhdx.jpg

YpJrD.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like that, good use of a checked shirt.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
JwNhT.jpg

^ conservative business dress.

o8yr5t.jpg

^ Not conservative business dress (I think Manton said something like 'not even close' lol).

I'm starting to think that conservative business dress is whatever Manton says it is (depending on the day of the week)!

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
^ conservative business dress.
o8yr5t.jpg
^ Not conservative business dress (I think Manton said something like 'not even close' lol). I'm starting to think that conservative business dress is whatever Manton says it is (depending on the day of the week)!

The knot and collar look terrible. If that's what you like, fine, but how could you ever think that collar is even remotely conservative business dress? note: I'm not trying to be mean, though that picture left me with a look of horror upon my face. I would wager you'd already be anticipating comments such as my own though.

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
The knot and collar look terrible. If that's what you like, fine, but how could you ever think that collar is even remotely conservative business dress?

note: I'm not trying to be mean, though that picture left me with a look of horror upon my face. I would wager you'd already be anticipating comments such as my own though.

Oh, lots of members have let me have it. Feel free to continue
smile.gif
. Part of it is bad camera angle. Part of it is that it's a pure cutaway. Pure cutaway is conservative business dress in England, and it's been re-hashed several times in this thread that conservative business dress = international conservative business dress. That's all I'm saying.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
manton, is that a white shirt or a really light blue one in the most recent outfit?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
The knot and collar look terrible. If that's what you like, fine, but how could you ever think that collar is even remotely conservative business dress? note: I'm not trying to be mean, though that picture left me with a look of horror upon my face. I would wager you'd already be anticipating comments such as my own though.
I'm on my phone so maybe not seeing well but the knot and collar look like what I wear in every picture.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
Oh, lots of members have let me have it. Feel free to continue
smile.gif
. Part of it is bad camera angle. Part of it is that it's a pure cutaway. Pure cutaway is conservative business dress in England, and it's been re-hashed several times in this thread that conservative business dress = international conservative business dress. That's all I'm saying.

OK fair enough. Now explain that thing on your chin!

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
OK fair enough. Now explain that thing on your chin!

Haha fair point! The King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia non-connecting goatee is in no way conservative business dress. In fact, my facial hair probably kills my chance of ever posting legit conservative business dress in this thread
biggrin.gif

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
I'm on my phone so maybe not seeing well but the knot and collar look like what I wear in every picture.

It's some cutaway collar which is nearly a straight line across. I'm all for spread collars, but past a certain point, probably when you can start seeing the sides of the tie past the knot, it just starts looking ugly to me.
confused.gif

The tie knot is huge as all hell, which is probably necessary considering the collar, but the whole combo just looks unattractive to me. It certainly isn't conservative business dress in any sense except for the colors.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that I'm at home I still think it's partly the angle of the photo (the knot does seem like it could use some tightening). Might look better head-on.

As for the collar: incontro, the king of conservative business dress, had a nearly straight cutaway as well.

Here's a couple different angles from previous fits of my collar and knots. Curious if you have the same hatred towards mine knowing that you can see some of the tie past the knot:
(close-up of collar area)
tumblr_li99yzB6YI1qcq3ab

tumblr_lgv2h655UT1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lcupugoPyG1qbmp06.jpg

(full pics)
tumblr_lcupu7a5ES1qbmp06.jpg

tumblr_li99wxj0pc1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads