Colour of leather sole

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WJTW, Nov 5, 2004.

1. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Hi,

In your opinion, what colour is looks best for leather soles?
    Myself, I think the yellow-beige appearance look quite good.

WJTW

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

Why is the color important as it will disapear on 80% od the sole?

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

To answer, I prefer dark brown or black than beige as best shoes have often dark soles.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you mean the sole edge or the sole bottom? For the sole edge, I like it to be slightly darker than the upper, meaning a medium brown for tan or cognac shoes. For sole bottoms, I've come over to Gabor's way of thinking and prefer the pale tan that Vass uses. I used to prefer the darker tan that the English makers will do, but that tends to run when it gets wet. As for why this matters when people don't see the soles of your shoes, even if that were true, I would see them. It may not be sufficient to dress to please yourself, but it is still necessary.

5. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Soles are one of the first things I notice for shoes, before even the upper. Strange, yes, but that's just me. [​IMG] WJTW

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Colored and decorated soles are really all about percieved value when the shoe is new. It doesn't make much practical sense to decorate a surface you are going to walk on, but it does make sense when the shoe is going to be displayed (for sale) like a piece of artwork, and priced accordingly.

Funny thing is, I'm still a sucker for a beautifully finished sole...

7. marc37

marc37 Senior member

l like the beige colored soles and yes, l'm a sucker for a beautiful leather sole as well. The first thing l look at [in a pair of shoes] is the sole, strange but true. l don't like darker soles or red or [even] orange soles.

8. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Though I prefer lighter colored soles, I would like a pair of casual shoes with dark soles like these: [​IMG]

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I certainly like those soles. What shoes are they?

10. TimelessRider

I saw these on the Japanese Yahoo auction site. It showed up during a John Lobb search I believe. There wasn't much else in english in the item except for the name Alessandro Marilli, and I can't make out the label on the box in the picture. Google doesn't turn up any useful hits for that name either. Here's a pic of the uppers: [​IMG]

11. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

The label on the box says:

Made In England
           By
    Crockett & Jones
    Northampton

The script on the box is the same as on the box that holds my handgrades. Both boxes are blue (the flash just makes the box look a light blue)

On the other hand, I don't see these shoes on the C&J website.

12. TimelessRider

Thanks for clearing that up. Those shoes look too Italian to be C&J - maybe seller ran out of boxes. But, then again you never know what C&J may produce for other markets.

13. ROT

ROT Senior member

As long as we're on the subject, is there an edge dressing that I can use to re-dress my suede brogues? They have a brown edge, neither too dark, nor light, but very scuffed at this point.
    Thanks.

14. TimelessRider

Edge dressing is usually available in both black and brown. Your local shoe repair shop should carry this. If you're worried that regular brown might be too dark for your shoes, then I know Allen-Edmonds offers a neutral colored dressing, though I'm not entirely convinced how effective that would be.

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

You know, when I was in the shoe business, the conventional wisdom was that only natural-finished soles were top-quality because they weren't trying to hide any defects. Made perfect sense to me. Cheap shoes always have soles that are colored. Then I sold (and subsequently bought) Florsheim Kenmoors, which have the longest-wearing soles I've ever experienced, both as a customer and in the trade. (I'm not saying there aren't longer-wearing soles out there...I'm just saying my Kenmoors have gone over two years of VERY hard weekly wear and they're not even close to my even considering even thinking about resoling them.) And check out Florsheim's classicly beautiful wood-grain finish on them: Kenmoor (By the way, the one I own is the plain-toe version of the above, which is the handstained Cashmere calf...gorgeous.)