• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collegiate professor look: What pants to wear with a Tweed/Cream Sport Coat ?

wetnose

Reaction score
Please....*never* wear that combination again....it's all from one palette so you'd just look like a walking green smudge. Unless of course you happen to be lecturing at West Point.

IMO, that jacket would go well with a dark navy or charcoal flannel pants. And yes, those pants are too large for you and that belt should be burned. Get some Incotex from the B&S forum - a little pricey compared to mall brands but totally worth it. Also look for allen edmonds belts on special - they have solid construction and are totally worth it at discount.

For shirts....I suggest a light sky blue or cream. White is too stark against that jacket. Pair that shirt with a nice yellow or navy tie. A close up pic of the jacket material in sunlight would be better too.

Sleeve length appears fine...I suggest getting some shirts with high armholes because I think the jacket's armholes are sucking in the cuffs. Perhaps consider some waist suppression too...looks kinda "sacky".

swb120

Reaction score
You should ask Tweedydon...he's a regular at AAAC and is sometimes here. That guy has more tweed sportcoats than the rest of the forum combined. And he's a professor.

I agree with the previous posters, however: burn the shirt. What's wrong with a good, old-fashioned blue oxford cloth buttondown collar shirt under your tweed coat? But definitely mix up your colors.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Trudy!? I saw her last week and she now weights 300+
inlove.gif
.........get over it.
smile.gif

I was going to say thanks ... this puts everything in a new light ... but then last night I saw Neil LaBute's play, Fat Pig.

MillionaireTeacher

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I tried the khakis today. And some more contrast vs. being "green smudge" yesterday Any improvement?
2i0w10p.jpg

wetnose

Reaction score
Ahhhh...much better than the olive mish mash.

Actually I didn't mind the olive shirt...it would have gone well with a crisp navy suit and a patterned navy tie. But just wrong in that ensemble.

MillionaireTeacher

Reaction score
Thanks Wetnose. I am a quick study. I love learning this stuff. And expanding my comfort zone

Thanks again, all, for the various suggestions!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Put a white handkerchief in your chest pocket. Pull your shirt sleeves down. You need to be showing a bit of cuff.

What shoes are you wearing? What briefcase are you carrying?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Put a white handkerchief in your chest pocket. Pull your shirt sleeves down. You need to be showing a bit of cuff.
What ... no medieval tapistry pocket square?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Baby steps. Baby steps.
And I better learn how to spell ... one day soon.

Uhhh ... tapestry.

VacheronMD

Reaction score
Pants are still not fitting correctly, your belt keeps riding up. Belt too tight, pants are loose. Much better combo than the first, but I would pair the jacket with navy flannel pants or dark flannel as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads