• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffemaker Carafe: How Many Cups?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just discovered our the numbers on the carafe of our coffeemaker at work are deceiving, to say the least! I'll pour in the top, what the carafe says "6," the coffee perculates and finished coffee drips down into the carafe, and it typically reaches just under the "6" line. That's okay, because I can understand how a small amount is lost. But we just discovered the "6" on the carafe means actually 3 cups (8 oz.) of coffee!!!

What on earth is going on here? Why does the coffee in the carafe up to the "4" line in actuality only two cups? I don't get it at all. I looked at coffeemakers elsewhere in the office and it's the same. With those the carafes start at "4" but the lines go up at half the lenght - 6, 8, 10, 12. Explanation, please!!!

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add this is a standard coffeemaker - a "Mr. Coffee" - and, although the word "cups" is not actually used with the numbers, the phrase " 12 cups bottom of ring" is printed high up at the "10" level, implying it's 12 actual cups just at the ring level.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this answers the mystery. Taken from "Mr. Coffee" online instructions:

1. Set the control dial to "Fill Reservoir." This setting prevents the water from entering the internal hot water reservoir and allows time for the carafe to be placed in position before starting the brew cycle.
2. Place an 8-12 cup basket style paper filter into the Removable Filter Basket.
NOTE: To avoid overflow, do not use a permanent filter.
3. Add the appropriate amount of ground coffee to the filter - refer to the "Suggested Coffee Measurement Chart" below.

Selecting and measuring ground coffee
For best results, use coffee ground for use with automatic drip coffee makers. The amounts shown below are suggested amounts – use more or less to suit your tastes.

To brew (5 oz. Cups): Use this amount of ground coffee
12 Cups: 11 Tablespoons
10 Cups: 9 Tablespoons
8 Cups: 7 Tablespoons
6 Cups: 6 Tablespoons
4 Cups: 5 Tablespoons
2 Cups: 3 Tablespoons

Note boldface. How do they - and apparently their competitors - get away with calling a cup "5 oz.?" In reality, most coffee mugs sold today are well over the officially correct 8 oz. - such as 10 or 12 oz. Just the opposite. The 5 oz. is like a dainty teacup.
Any comments?

bmf895

Reaction score
Starbucks and the "Super Size" culture are to blame here. Their smallest size, a Tall, is 12 ounces. The average bladder can only hold about 14 ounces. A traditional serving of coffee was more along the lines of 5 to 8 ounces. Take a look at the size of your grandmother's china. Everything was smaller Pre-WWII. Tableware has slowly grown in size since. Today, 20 ounce coffee mugs and 12 inch dinner plates are the norm. No wonder America has an obesity crisis. Modern Americans have have lost touch with what constitutes an appropriate portion.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but those who make the coffee makers are bucking the trend - they're implying one can make more cups than one can.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of articles on coffee and health refer to when one drinks "one cup of coffee a day" or "when one drinks three cups of coffee,." etc. I assume the research results refer to an 8 oz. cup, but I wonder....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads