• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee at Work

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the Starbucks thread--a lot of people seem to go there against their better judgment. I'm the same way. I used to drink coffee at work, but now all they offer is coffee from a "Flavia" machine and flavored chemical creamers. I tried to grin and bear it and just drink their plainest coffee, black, but I can't take it. So now I walk across the street and pay for Starbucks a few times a week, and/or use my french press at home before I leave for work.

Does your workplace offer coffee?
Do you drink it?
If you have a Flavia machine, do you want to take a baseball bat to it?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a drip/filter coffee-maker in the office. The coffee itself is usually from Tim Horton's. I will drink it on occasion. We also have a kettle, so if I were obsessive about the French Press, that would be an option.

I will not go to Starbucks on a bet -- I find their coffee too strong and/or bitter.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
For a long time the only coffee we had was a Green Mountain machine with the little individual cups for each coffee which is really bad. About two months ago a Starbucks machine was added to the breakroom, so I've been drinking 2-3 Starbucks a day since and I'm really getting sick of it too. I guess I might have to switch back or take up tea in the office. The Starbucks is really bitter and just does not go down right at all, but I guess it's better than nothing (and it is free so I really shouldn't complain too much). I was in Rhode Island this weekend and got my fill of Dunkin Donuts, which I think is much better than most of the stuff out there, unfortunately they are few and far between in NY.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
If you have a Flavia machine, do you want to take a baseball bat to it?

We have Flavia as well. I can understand the cost-effectiveness and all that.. but man, it's gross.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
we have a coffee maker....I drink it everyday. sometimes the coffee is Folgers (blech) and sometimes Kirkland (good) depending on what the bosses bought

and plenty of french vanilla creamer

Kevin

Reaction score
I swill the generic cheap stuff from the pot at work, black. I've tasted better but it gets the job done.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a Flavia machine... I ignore it.

I go across the street to Starbucks for a tall drip... a little cream, one packet of sugar in the raw, and I'm good until I get home to my trusty French Press and burr-ground fresh roasted coffee beans from Mischa's (http://pages.alexandriacity.com/dining/mishas.htm).

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to make my own coffee at work for a few years. All you need is a small french press, some boiling water and some ground beans. I think you can get hot water from the Flavia machine. The difference in quality when you use freshly roasted and ground beans is mind-boggling.

I used to grind beans in the morning before work and bring with me a little baggy/container with enough coffee for one day. If you lazy you can buy preground beans or grind a lot in avance and store at work.

French press brewing is more forgiving of variations in grind size so you should be able to do fine with a cheap whirly blade grinder like this for around $20-$25.

braun-grinder.jpg

And small french press like this for $12:

1543_01_a.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I used to make my own coffee at work for a few years. All you need is a small french press, some boiling water and some ground beans. I think you can get hot water from the Flavia machine. The difference in quality when you use freshly roasted and ground beans is mind-boggling.

I used to grind beans in the morning before work and bring with me a little baggy/container with enough coffee for one day. If you lazy you can buy preground beans or grind a lot in avance and store at work.

French press brewing is more forgiving of variations in grind size so you should be able to do fine with a cheap whirly blade grinder like this for around $20-$25.

http://www.1800housewares.com/images/braun-grinder.jpg

And small french press like this for $12:

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/images_.../1543_01_a.jpg

I also have a little Bodum but I keep forgetting to bring it to work. Works very well... I usually just drink at work some Nescafe Taster's Choice ("100% Colombian " it says...eh). Surprisingly good, especially for instant. But we have several machines for free coffee, I don't like the stuff.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
We serve some horrid stuff in the office dispensers. A few of us have a cabal where we take turns buying beans for a separate pot (we use a free brewer/pot we got with a beans purchase) of decent stuff we keep in the kitchen.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a good old Bunn in the lounge for anyone to use and both a Bunn and a Flavia machine in the passenger lounge that I sneak food from. There's a few Starbucks in the terminal if people prefer that.

As for me? Just go to Sbarro and get a soda
laugh.gif

JB

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Starbucks! ... Because I work at Starbucks
rimshot.gif
Although, funny story, 3 of my co-workers brought Dunkin' Donuts every day because they hated Starbucks coffee so much and would pay for it, even though the coffee at work was free, and hide it in Starbucks cups.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My office use to have Cruig pod brewer. I thought it was ok for a quick fix, nothing to dwell over.
Starbucks is the best chain coffee in my town. I think people who complain that SB coffee taste bitter don't really know what coffee tastes like.
Mention Wanking -Donuts and they all light up. Sick just sick, sick as Stop and Shop neon-green cake with M&Ms on top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads