• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cobblers in Canada (Toronto or major Canadian cities) - goodyear welt and JR Rendenbach

Timeless-guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So in cases where the welt needs to be replaced, do you replace them by hand stitching the welt to the canvas (GYW)/ upper (handwelt)? In cases where you are just replacing the sole, i'm assuming you have a machine to stitch the welt to the sole?

I'm asking specifically about handwelted shoes b/c they're the ones that i'm most concerned about and am afraid to send to just any cobbler. Most of the local ones at malls i've inquired about don't go into detail or simply don't know the difference between handwelt / GYW and also explain "i can make it look new again" -_-".
So when you refer to ‘hand welted shoes’, you are referring specifically to the Norwegian welted shoes, correct? Because any good year welt can be hand stitched, but as far as I know, there is no machine to stitch a Norwegian welt to the shoe.
Factories use a machine to stitch the welt to the shoe, and cobblers use their hands to stitch a welt to a shoe. Virtually no cobblers ever have a gyw installation machine, but EVERY cobbler worth his salt will have an outsole stitcher AND a Blake(McKay) stitcher.
Here is a picture of my two Landis K curved needle outsole stitchers. They stitch the outsole to the gyw.

387232CC-CD90-40A1-9EC9-FBFE98F9B2B0.png

gj555

Reaction score
Other than Boris in Aurora, any other cobbler reviews for the group?

Very soon.

Boris did a pair of AE for me, and a pair from CT Shirts (made in England) – both pairs I had purchased as new, and for both, the soles wore out over time. I brought them to him last year and posted my reviews in the other thread.

At the time I had also worn out the pair of Dacks and now also have 2 pair of Loakes that I need resoled (I wear my shoes pretty hard - rain or shine). All the shoes that I need to resole get to the point where there are too many soft spots or actually develop a hole on the sole.

Last Friday, I brought the pair of Dacks to Sole Perfection located in Maple. As soon as I get them back (this Thursday or Friday), I will post some photos.

I have not yet decided on when and where to repair my other 2 pair. Ironically, none of my vintage shoes have needed the sole replaced.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I should let you all know about a shoe repair shop in Thunder Bay that uses a high quality house leather, and JR leather, for those who want only the best. It’s called Timeless Shoe Repair, and you can find it on Facebook.
I’m telling you for two reasons....first, it would seem that none of you have ever heard of it, since no one has mentioned it.
Second, it’s my shop lol

I’m an award winning cobbler who has passion for my craft and takes great pride in my work. Please check out my Facebook page and feel free to contact me!

Do you do metal toe caps? Recessed? Something like this:

017.jpg

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I was referring specifically to just handwelted shoes, not norvegese in my previous question. But it seems like you've answered it. Just to be clear, if you were replacing the welt, whether it's GYW or handwelt, you would handstitch the welt using the original holes (?), and then would use the machine to stitch the new sole to the welt, is that correct?
Addition questions that i have
- do you offer closed channels on the sole?
- if the shoes have a fiddleback, beveled waist, are you able to keep them in tact when replacing with a new sole?
- do you have JR heels?
- if you are only replacing the sole (keeping old welt), when stitching to the welt, will the machine create new holes and will it be noticeable that there are old holes in te welt?

Sorry for all the questions.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring specifically to just handwelted shoes, not norvegese in my previous question. But it seems like you've answered it. Just to be clear, if you were replacing the welt, whether it's GYW or handwelt, you would handstitch the welt using the original holes (?), and then would use the machine to stitch the new sole to the welt, is that correct?
- if the shoes have a fiddleback, beveled waist, are you able to keep them in tact when replacing with a new sole?
- do you have JR heels?
- if you are only replacing the sole (keeping old welt), when stitching to the welt, will the machine create new holes and will it be noticeable that there are old holes in te welt?

Not a cobbler and not pretending to know.

Check Timeless Shoe Repair on on facebook. There are pics of hidden channel soles.

Laurent HALIMI in Montreal will do that work. I have a review of him as well.

Timeless-guy

Reaction score
- do you have JR heels?

If I was replacing the welt, I would absolutely use the same holes and stitch it on by hand. I would then indeed stitch the soles using a machine designed specifically for that purpose, and that purpose only.
I do offer closed channels, but would normally only do what was done originally, unless requested by the customer. So if the shoe was blind stitched originally, I would blind stitch the replacement sole. Half blind would also be returned to original.
The only variation that I often take upon myself to change, is hand channeling before stitching, as opposed to using the knife on the machine. I feel, and it is generally agreed among my industry, that the hand channel is much more aesthetically pleasing, and offers the same wear durability.
I stock JR heels.
When reusing the original welt, it is imperative that the old stitches be removed before installing the new soles. This way, the awl of the machine will naturally find the original holes and will not cause any damage that the welts. MOST original holes will be found, but there may be some new holes created, which will not be noticeable, and won’t cause any damage as long as the old stitches are removed.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a repair shop in Vancouver Canada and I offer mail in service and do all resoles by hand. I also carry JR soling. Heres my instagram for examples

https://www.instagram.com/_szewc_/

Thanks.

Thanks for posting your info. Our members look forward to reviewing your work.

I didn't see any pics of finished leather soles on your Instagram. Can you share/post some of them?

Thanks.

SRC

Reaction score

ducero

Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading this great thread on Toronto and Suitforcourt you are a godsend. Thanks for all the helpful info you've given.

I'm searching for a cobbler as well in Toronto who can do a full GYW resole. From what I'm reading it looks like Bay Bloor Shoe repair is the only guy who has an outsole stitcher. Is that correct? Has anyone else here had a shoe recrafted by this shop? Am I missing any other places in Toronto? I see several outside Toronto but nothing else near downtown. Does Bay Bloor perform respectable quality work? I want to have a pair of Alden shell cordovan Pitt boots resoled so I'd prefer a cobbler who knows his craft but I also can't spend $300 for this, unfortunately.

My only other option is to spend an extra $50 (to and from) to ship to a shop outside the city. It seems sad that there are no other shops here in a city so huge. You'd think this would be a place to flourish.

Anyway...thanks in advance for any advice.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading this great thread on Toronto and Suitforcourt you are a godsend. Thanks for all the helpful info you've given.

I'm searching for a cobbler as well in Toronto who can do a full GYW resole. From what I'm reading it looks like Bay Bloor Shoe repair is the only guy who has an outsole stitcher. Is that correct? Has anyone else here had a shoe recrafted by this shop? Am I missing any other places in Toronto? I see several outside Toronto but nothing else near downtown. Does Bay Bloor perform respectable quality work? I want to have a pair of Alden shell cordovan Pitt boots resoled so I'd prefer a cobbler who knows his craft but I also can't spend $300 for this, unfortunately.

My only other option is to spend an extra $50 (to and from) to ship to a shop outside the city. It seems sad that there are no other shops here in a city so huge. You'd think this would be a place to flourish.

Anyway...thanks in advance for any advice.

You can see Bay and Bloor does acceptable work. I am bringing a pair of my brother's AE Shell MacNeil for recraft with them. Will post pics.

I like Quick Cobbler in Vancouver, Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay, and Dan Frappier in Sudbury. I made separate posts about each of them.

For the extra shipping costs the above guys do great work.

There is also Nick's on Dupont. But he does not impress me.

ducero

Reaction score
You can see Bay and Bloor does acceptable work. I am bringing a pair of my brother's AE Shell MacNeil for recraft with them. Will post pics.

I like Quick Cobbler in Vancouver, Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay, and Dan Frappier in Sudbury. I made separate posts about each of them.

For the extra shipping costs the above guys do great work.

There is also Nick's on Dupont. But he does not impress me.

thank you. AE shells are pretty sweet. I look forward to seeing them.

Yes I read your posts on them They all seem fine. I'd maybe give a slight nod to QC just for pure efficiency and I also love the old cat paws heels you've metioned. I will likely go with JR soles so Nick's is not an option. I believe Bay Bloor would be the most economical because I can walk to their shop but I need to trust the work.

thanks again

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you. AE shells are pretty sweet. I look forward to seeing them.

Yes I read your posts on them They all seem fine. I'd maybe give a slight nod to QC just for pure efficiency and I also love the old cat paws heels you've metioned. I will likely go with JR soles so Nick's is not an option. I believe Bay Bloor would be the most economical because I can walk to their shop but I need to trust the work.

thanks again

I try things out for myself, and go from there. None of my shoes have been butchered.

But I have seen some horrible ones on the Toronto Cobbler thread, which is sad, given its the biggest city.

Maybe take a less treasured pair to test out Bay Bloor. I can tell you the old Dacks store, and now Ivor Woolridge, who only sells high end English brands, only recommends Bay Bloor. That says something. Or nothing. Depending on which side of the coin you see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads