• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing For University - I'm out of the loop!

jake2014

Reaction score
EDIT: Is this the right section?

Hey everyone! I'm Jake, and I need some advice on style.

I'm currently finishing up the middle of my 2nd year in university in Canada. I've noticed that I'm going to need to buy some winter clothes (and possibly a coat?) for the winter term.

The problem is, I'm really out of the loop in terms of fashion. My wardrobe basically consists of American Eagle polos and minimally branded tees with a couple of sweaters, and some old navy tees and Aeropostale stuff from high school. I have a Columbia winter coat that's almost 4 years old I think (still fits), and I wear a fake leather jacket as a spring coat.
And I'm basically cycling a couple of pairs of jeans, and wear my Etnies everywhere.

---
I'd really like to change my wardrobe to be a bit more fashionable, but honestly have no idea what to do. I was always a little preppy in high school, I guess. I changed some stuff around for university but I don't think it's good for me. In university you see a lot of people walking around, and I'm really impressed by the style of some of the guys.

The issue is I don't really ask for advice or know where to turn, so here I am.

My dad is very, very frugal, he usually reimburses me for money spent on clothes, but his idea of it is "Go to American Eagle or 4 shirts on sale, here I'll reimburse you". He doesn't have any style knowledge himself haha. I CAN buy my own stuff though.

---

What basic wardrobe would you recommend for a university student? I'm in business, I've noticed fashion is important to people in my program. There are a lot of people from affluent backgrounds who wear things I'd never dream of buying, but I think I can manage a bit more than what I have atm. Oh, and I'm also thinking of going out clubbing more often at some "fancy" places, and I don't think I have the wardrobe.

--------------

Long story short:
- What basic wardrobe would you recommend for a fashionable male university student?
- T Shirt/Sweaters/polos/nice shirts/pants/shoes/coats/etc?
- Clothes for clubbing?
EDIT2: I like these shoes. What are they? http://cdn.styleforum.net/f/f5/f55ed7a3_4.1.jpeg

Thanks! I'd really like to learn! :)

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
School is where you get education between parties and other escapades that involve getting laid. Thus, stick with the basics so you can enjoy truly the most wonderful time of your life; you can worry about the sartorial aspects of your attire later. But it does not mean that you have to be a slob.

Ditch any items that have logos in favor of solids or respectable patterns. Get a couple of jackets or coats, a few pair of jeans or khakis and some fresh kicks. The ones that are in the pic look like Vans to me. That's pretty much it.

jake2014

Reaction score
School is where you get education between parties and other escapades that involve getting laid. Thus, stick with the basics so you can enjoy truly the most wonderful time of your life; you can worry about the sartorial aspects of your attire later. But it does not mean that you have to be a slob.

Ditch any items that have logos in favor of solids or respectable patterns. Get a couple of jackets or coats, a few pair of jeans or khakis and some fresh kicks. The ones that are in the pic look like Vans to me. That's pretty much it.
Thanks for the advice! School seems like that to me, haha.

I've been wearing bright polos to school a lot. I'm pretty pale and skinny, do dark colours normally look better on someone like me? I've also seen plaid button-ups a bit at school, but I'm not sure where to go for that.
I'm trying to find things that fit my body well. I have a lot of things that look too big on me right now.

I've seen a lot of people walking around with those puffy coats. They're called Montcler? And they're unreasonably expensive imo. I have another friend who only wears Lacoste, which I find to be right in the range of almost unreasonable.

I have flat feet, so I was trying to find shoes with good support too.

TradThrifter

Reaction score
It isn't about the brands really. You don't have to spend a lot of money to look nice (I didn't realize this untill after college). Take care of the basics at this point:

-Cotton Polo shirts
-Oxford cloth buttondown shirts
-chino pants
-pair of jeans
-sturdy brown boots
-pair of loafers
-navy blazer
-winter coat

this should take care of your entire college career. Buy durable, but affordable because you will be getting "dirty" if you know what i mean

dannybear

Reaction score
Hey man! Good to hear you're looking to improve your style, you need to decide if you want to go street wear or more traditional first, seeing as you're young you'd need to be careful going with trad or you'll end up looking dorky, I find myself recommending gant rugger to young guys, I'm not sure of your price range but have a look at the way gant rugger styles their clothes particularly on their YouTube channel, if you can't afford that uniqlo makes good quality basics which you can play around with.
As for shoes adidas Stan smiths are cool at the moment and versatile.
Before you go buying heaps of stuff lurk the forums for a while then you'll be less likely to end up throwing away all your purchases in a few months when you realize they're not you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads