• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing for the 40yr old

Cooper'

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I think both polo shirts and khakis have their place. For instance, a navy blue polo shirt and blue & cream seersucker pants looks great. Likewise, a white shirt (linen, tee, or OCBD depending upon the weather) and khakis look great. Put 'em together, however, and while there's nothing instrinsically wrong with it, you look like one of the great herd of suburban masses.

I agree. So what do you suggest? You mentioned Ralph Lauren. I could be a poster boy for them, well not really but I do get a lot of their shirts. I guess that's really the dilemma. How to look sharp, classic, and slightly set apart without looking out of place taking my wife to the mall.

Geezer

Reaction score
I'm 42.

The sartorial world is your oyster. You can't and shouldn't dress like the kids any more, but you are old enough not to have to worry about being fashionable like a 20-something probably does. And young enough not to worry about looking like an old man.

Go for fit and quality. You'll be fine.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cooper'
I agree. So what do you suggest? You mentioned Ralph Lauren. I could be a poster boy for them, well not really but I do get a lot of their shirts. I guess that's really the dilemma. How to look sharp, classic, and slightly set apart without looking out of place taking my wife to the mall.

I too like the Black Label line, but their selection is limited. Personally, I suggest you load up on white, cream, and tan linen pants, linen shirts in white and navy (short sleeve and long sleeve), a couple of iconic pieces like tees with horizontal naval stripes (ironically, the aforementioned demon-store J. Crew has some rather nice examples of this that you can wear), cotton sweaters of the same, maybe some pink and light blue gingham long sleeve shirts in light cotton, and a FEW polos (I have only three; a Ralph polo in custom fit white, a navy, and a deep red). Toss in a light weight khaki trouser, a seersucker trouser, and if you can find 'em (I get 'em bespoke) a pair of light grey and dark grey fresco trousers, and if you like, a pair of light weight red cords or cotton pants, and you should be good to go. That's your summer wear.

No cargo pants. No shorts (but if you MUST, one - and only one - pair of khaki shorts). And use the polos sparingly.

Cool weather clothes are a bit more demanding on the budget but are pretty easy. A good set of sweaters in various wools so you have some variety regarding texture (primarily crewnecks and rollnecks with a cardigan or two thrown-in if you like that look), some corduroys (dark brown and light brown are the staples), trousers made out of moleskin (dark colors) and flannel (light grey, mid grey, and dark grey). Flannels should be your equivalent of blue jeans. Your shirts should be cotton/wool blends or heavy OCBDs in white and blue. Throw in some tattersoll shirts and a couple of all-purpose patterned shirts (stripes and ginghams in darker colors) and you've got the basics.

Ralph sells most of the above in good cuts at decent prices. You can go pretty slim if you look for that end of their product line, but you can also go more classic. I recommend a mix of both.

FYI, I'm 47.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too like the Black Label line, but their selection is limited. Personally, I suggest you load up on white, cream, and tan linen pants, linen shirts in white and navy (short sleeve and long sleeve), a couple of iconic pieces like tees with horizontal naval stripes (ironically, the aforementioned demon-store J. Crew has some rather nice examples of this that you can wear), cotton sweaters of the same, maybe some pink and light blue gingham long sleeve shirts in light cotton, and a FEW polos (I have only three; a Ralph polo in custom fit white, a navy, and a deep red). Toss in a light weight khaki trouser, a seersucker trouser, and if you can find 'em (I get 'em bespoke) a pair of light grey and dark grey fresco trousers, and if you like, a pair of light weight red cords or cotton pants, and you should be good to go. That's your summer wear.

No cargo pants. No shorts (but if you MUST, one - and only one - pair of khaki shorts). And use the polos sparingly.

Cool weather clothes are a bit more demanding on the budget but are pretty easy. A good set of sweaters in various wools so you have some variety regarding texture (primarily crewnecks and rollnecks with a cardigan or two thrown-in if you like that look), some corduroys (dark brown and light brown are the staples), trousers made out of moleskin (dark colors) and flannel (light grey, mid grey, and dark grey). Flannels should be your equivalent of blue jeans. Your shirts should be cotton/wool blends or heavy OCBDs in white and blue. Throw in some tattersoll shirts and a couple of all-purpose patterned shirts (stripes and ginghams in darker colors) and you've got the basics.

Ralph sells most of the above in good cuts at decent prices. You can go pretty slim if you look for that end of their product line, but you can also go more classic. I recommend a mix of both.

FYI, I'm 47.

This is excellent. Thank you very, very much.

greyinla

Reaction score
Personally, I suggest you load up on white, cream, and tan linen pants, linen shirts in white and navy...

+1. Can't get behind the tees with horizontal naval stripes, but otherwise solid advice.

And fit is key. Even a pair of khakis, t-shirt, and loafers will look good if well cut. What you want to avoid is the dad jeans with running shoes.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greyinla
+1. Can't get behind the tees with horizontal naval stripes, but otherwise solid advice.

And fit is key. Even a pair of khakis, t-shirt, and loafers will look good if well cut. What you want to avoid is the dad jeans with running shoes.

Well, I'll see you in hell then.

Totally agree on the fit. If you have the slightest doubt or problem about a pair of trousers, take 'em to a really good tailor and it will be well worth the money, believe me. Be picky about polos because different cuts are all over the place and they all have different looks. Khakis are likewise all over the lot (I have both a slim-fitting J. Crew and a classic, big cut W. Bill). No f*cking dad jeans. You get ONE pair of jeans and if it's anything other than a slim straight fit (preferably in very dark indigo), I'll cold-cock you.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the question as well as several of the responses. Like others have said, fit is key. I didn't realize until fairly recently that most f my clothes didn't fit. Since then, I have my dress shirts made and I buy trousers that fit my slim frame. I'm a big fan of Epaulet's trousers and chinos. Love the way they fit.
I've had my sport coats tailored to fit after wearing them thinking they were fine. Funny, I do get complimented on my clothing quite a bit now.
Heading to Chicago tomorrow and will be checking out the Ralph Lauren store. Never tried on their purple or black label suits but am anxious to do so.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No f*cking dad jeans. You get ONE pair of jeans and if it's anything other than a slim straight fit (preferably in very dark indigo), I'll cold-cock you.
crackup[1].gif
JC, your suggestions are great...Thanks

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spring/summer casual for the 40 year old is easy. In your case, the move from cargo shorts to lightweight chinos in light brown, white, and maybe other pastels if you want, will make a big difference.

Polos are fine but be picky. Solids that contrast with whatever you wear as pants are always good. Short-sleeve button down shirts in madras, poplin, any weight of cotton or linen that you like, are good. Popovers.

For shoes you might look at suede plain toe bluchers ("bucks") and loafers of the Alden leisure handsewn variety. They are a bit more neutral and versatile compared to boat shoes.

A lot of my summer pants are by Hickey Freeman. They do chinos well in my experience. Otherwise everyone sells this stuff. Stay out of malls. Go into better independent men's stores when you travel--you are a pilot--and see what they have. And buy what you like. Don't be afraid to pay for quality. $100-$150 is not too much for a quality summer shirt that you love wearing and that looks good on you. Economize by purchasing fewer things. A small rotation of high-quality stuff you love is the way to go, especially with summer wear which can pretty decadent in terms of wearing pleasure.

SF is a good place to learn about stores worth visiting when in you are different cities. Ask or use the search function.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Take a look at Man of Kent and Zissou. They're slightly older guys who wear casual clothes well.

+1 Man of Kent has been very inspirational with his taste.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tommy Bahama.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I'm in Atlanta, and long sleeves of any kind are untenable in the height of the summer.

I would sooner roll the sleeves of a long sleeve shirt than wear a polo any day. Just me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads