• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes for the Short Guy - Stores, Brands/Lines, Websites

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a good topic. Thanks for all the links and advice in here.

Are there any pics of shorter guys wearing suits in MC? I'm looking around for a "how suits should fit" topic, but I can't find any. Thanks!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
??? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=174273

as a short guy, there are a few areas I pay particular attention to. Armhole should be high to lengthen the body line, any pockets (breast, jacket) should be on the higher side (shorter torso visually makes longer leg line), maybe avoid ticket pockets since they another horizontal line, high gorge (notch or peak placement) plus lower button stance (bottom button just below or at the level of the pockets) to make a longer V shape, shorter jacket (just cover butt, depending on arm length IMO should hit at thumb joint instead of end of thumb), then sleeves should be on the shorter side to make it look like your arms are long. Pants - I don't like high rise, particularly when worn at the waist since you want a long inseam visually, so I say medium to short rise, in theory avoid cuffs but if it's dark fabric I don't think it matters as much, stick to proportionally sized cuffs (1.5+/-0.25) and minimal break, and pleats are a matter of body type.
I suppose there might be other ideas like roped shoulders for vertical lines, capped sleeves to draw the eye upwards...

dunno, that's all I can think of for now. anyone got other tips?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
Just finished perusing this forum topic and checked out a bunch of the links...thanks to everyone that contributed!

2 things:

I always chuckle on the inside when someone comments on being short and then reveals they are 5'6 or 5'8 or something like that...being 5'2 I'd give anything to be above 5'5
confused.gif
...not to disparage you guys...I just always assumed that when people said short they meant under 5'5.

Also...for the guys on SF around my size plus or minus 2 inches (perhaps we fall into a sub-category of our own): there are lots of good descriptions of sizes and measurements but I never see any pictures of suits/formal shirts/dress pants/jeans/etc. being modeled by guys of our diminutive stature....do any of you guys know any sites that do this? I've checked out most of the links in this forum topic and others that cater to shorter gentlemen unfortunately those websites always have photos of guys who appear to be 5'6 or 5'8 or more so I can never really tell what the [product] would look like on me.

So does anybody in the X-Short category know of any sites that have clothes or models targeting our demographic? Or does anybody with a well-established wardrobe have any pictures or self-shots that they could post? I've made do through high school and college and the last couple of years with XS department store OTR items that were tailored or larger childrens' sizes and am now starting to build a more mature wardrobe with high quality apparel tailored for guys our size.

Thanks for the feedback!

~Johnny

commonppl

Reaction score
This topic is great! As someone who is a novice at these things, material seems to be something that I haven't quite figured out yet. 34s are a nuisance to find, but boys 18 or 20 are easier to find. Ralph Lauren claims that the same wool fabric is used for both of these suits, while Brooks Brothers says they're using different.

How steep is the drop off in quality from men's and boys generally? And in terms of cut, it sounds like most boys sizes are more boxy, traditional. If I wanted a more modern, slim cut, could a tailor fix that right up?

themodestman

Reaction score
Hey,

I have tried Peter Manning's chinos, weekend shirt (button down) and polo, and I love them! I've heard the jeans are great too, but haven't tried those yet.

I actually interviews Peter on my blog (see signature). Check it out if you'd like. There aren't many clothiers who focus on us shorter gents besides Manning and Jimmy Au (and his son, Alan), so make sure to send some business their way!

-Brock

devo666

Reaction score
These are some great tips. Think a book I read, maybe Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man, covered a lot of these.

Also, maybe besom pockets instead of flapped. Helps preserve the vertical lines and trimmer silhouette.

devo666

Reaction score
How does his stuff fit widthwise? I've looked and was worried that it might be kind of boxy on me...or just not tapered the right way for my build. I'm 5' 6/7" (depending on the day) and weigh ~155. Have a fairly athletic build - usually wear a 38s jacket and have a 29/30 waist. I typically buy trim/slim fit clothes but a lot of times they're longer than I like for shirts and jackets.

By the way guys, if anyone has a similar build, I really like Levi's 513 slim fit jeans (or 514 if you prefer something straighter-legged/less tapered). I used to buy Earnest Sewn but got tired of spending that much on jeans. Levi's are cheap, fit well and have a fair amount of style/color options. They can be kind of tight in the thighs on me, but not unwearable (as long as I don't machine dry them and don't go too crazy on the squat rack. I like my clothes pretty slim, anyway). Docker's Alpha Khakis are also great for the same reason.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Looking for pants sized 31x28ish. Most department store retailers only offer length as low as 31x30 and then I have to get 'em cut, which is a little annoying (waste of time and the extra cost).

I looked at the petermanning link above and although they do offer more sizes, seems out of my comfortable budget. Looking for other sources that are more "economical". Thanks.

Bonggoy

Reaction score

Looking for pants sized 31x28ish.  Most department store retailers only offer length as low as 31x30 and then I have to get 'em cut, which is a little annoying (waste of time and the extra cost).

I looked at the petermanning link above and although they do offer more sizes, seems out of my comfortable budget.  Looking for other sources that are more "economical".  Thanks.

irgendwas

Reaction score
Also, maybe besom pockets instead of flapped. Helps preserve the vertical lines and trimmer silhouette.
Tucking in the pocket flaps makes flapped pockets look similar to besom pockets.

I am 5'4" with a 34" chest and a 29" waist. Shortening sleeves or trouser legs is nearly always necessary.
As I can't find good-looking and affordable trousers that fit my waist (I mostly wear chinos/corduroys/moleskins/...), I look for trousers with a split waistband.
Knitwear is my biggest problem as alterations are difficult.
Small socks are available from Calze Vitrano (http://www.calzevitrano.com). Their smallest size equates to EU37-38/UK5/US6, which would even be too small for my feet.
Short people should avoid anything pre-distressed as the distressing will be on the wrong position. I would still avoid anything pre-distressed even if it fits because I don't like pre-distressing.

Finding clothes that fit me is my only major problem with being short as most other things have a unisex design and I am not ashamed of my stature.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits and shirts can provide problems. Luckily for us, shoes are not that difficult.

cfwu

Reaction score
Very interesting thread.

I'm 170cm. I usually buy shirts sized S or 39 15/half. I tried some shirts from Camicissima (being an Italian brand, we have a lot of their shops here in Italy), and the Slim and also Extra Slim shirts seems to be too much long. Same problem with the sleeves too much long and loose-fitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads