• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a silk pocket square

SouthNarc

Reaction score
I could use some advice on how to proceed here before I ruin a new purchase. I bought a Brioni silk pocket square that had a narrow, hard plastic RFID tag stuck dead center. I was careful in removing it but now I have a thin strip of the adhesive stuck dead center. Is there any way to remove this sticky stuff without fading/ruining it?

Thanks!

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to remove adhesive is by more adhesive.
Take a strip of tape (paper tape is better in this case) and attach it over the residue, then detach it quickly, repeat various times, you should be able to remove all the residue, this works over lots of surfaces, textile and not.

Last edited:

SouthNarc

Reaction score
Thanks Alex I appreciate it. I tried doing that with several kinds of tape but no luck.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with a tag a few years or so ago (also on a Brioni square, as it happens). In my case the residual adhesive was on the reverse side of the square, and was more tacky-to-touch than really sticky, so I actually just ignored it and over use through the years it gradually eroded away. Not an ideal solution perhaps, but a little residual stickiness on a small, non-visible part of the square doesn't affect the ability to puff and use it, so I didn't make too many heroic attempts to remove it.

I suppose if it's not ignorable, one could try hand-washing the silk very lightly. You'd need to immerse the whole square, to avoid watermarks (and I'd advise a very, very light detergent like washing-up liquid used for doing the dishes), and then drying it flat on a teatowel before a light press on a very low heat, through a pressing cloth. Only attempt at your own risk, however. Ignoring it - if possible - is likely to be the better option, at least it was for me.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Goo Gone works well. I've heard citrus peel does too.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, DO NOT use lighter fluid! Makes it worse. I say this from experience. :cry:

I did what Holdfast said -- nothing -- on a Paul Smith square I have and it's been fine. Of course, this assumes the tag was on the wrong side of the fabric.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it back and demand the shop keeper remove it. You had sought to buy a pocket square - glue is not compris so the shopkeeper should have the burden of removing it.

Last edited:

SouthNarc

Reaction score

I had the exact same issue with a tag a few years or so ago (also on a Brioni square, as it happens). In my case the residual adhesive was on the reverse side of the square, and was more tacky-to-touch than really sticky, so I actually just ignored it and over use through the years it gradually eroded away. Not an ideal solution perhaps, but a little residual stickiness on a small, non-visible part of the square doesn't affect the ability to puff and use it, so I didn't make too many heroic attempts to remove it.

I suppose if it's not ignorable, one could try hand-washing the silk very lightly. You'd need to immerse the whole square, to avoid watermarks (and I'd advise a very, very light detergent like washing-up liquid used for doing the dishes), and then drying it flat on a teatowel before a light press on a very low heat, through a pressing cloth. Only attempt at your own risk, however. Ignoring it - if possible - is likely to be the better option, at least it was for me.

Funny you say that because I bought it on ebay, contacted the seller, and he told me that all his Brioni pocket squares had the tracking tag on them. Weird why that's so common but like your's, mine is on the "dull" side of the silk. It's not a deal breaker, just grinding to my OCD!

empty I haven't heard of Goo Gone before? Feel like I'm setting myself up for a REALLY bad joke...:D.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I got the one I mentioned from someone on this forum; never really bothered to chase the issue up for something small like a pocket square, esp. when it didn't make a difference to utility and the price was good. I presume it was originally sourced from a Last Call or equivalent type of outlet, where forethought about things like this is pretty limited. I've seen this sort of stuck-on RFID on items in some airport shops too (much the same deal, really). Treat it as a therapeutic exercise re: your OCD... ;)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj_fl