Cleaning a silk pocket square

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SouthNarc, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

I could use some advice on how to proceed here before I ruin a new purchase. I bought a Brioni silk pocket square that had a narrow, hard plastic RFID tag stuck dead center. I was careful in removing it but now I have a thin strip of the adhesive stuck dead center. Is there any way to remove this sticky stuff without fading/ruining it?

Thanks!

2. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

The best way to remove adhesive is by more adhesive.
    Take a strip of tape (paper tape is better in this case) and attach it over the residue, then detach it quickly, repeat various times, you should be able to remove all the residue, this works over lots of surfaces, textile and not.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

3. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Thanks Alex I appreciate it. I tried doing that with several kinds of tape but no luck.

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I had the exact same issue with a tag a few years or so ago (also on a Brioni square, as it happens). In my case the residual adhesive was on the reverse side of the square, and was more tacky-to-touch than really sticky, so I actually just ignored it and over use through the years it gradually eroded away. Not an ideal solution perhaps, but a little residual stickiness on a small, non-visible part of the square doesn't affect the ability to puff and use it, so I didn't make too many heroic attempts to remove it.

I suppose if it's not ignorable, one could try hand-washing the silk very lightly. You'd need to immerse the whole square, to avoid watermarks (and I'd advise a very, very light detergent like washing-up liquid used for doing the dishes), and then drying it flat on a teatowel before a light press on a very low heat, through a pressing cloth. Only attempt at your own risk, however. Ignoring it - if possible - is likely to be the better option, at least it was for me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

6. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Goo Gone works well. I've heard citrus peel does too.

7. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Whatever you do, DO NOT use lighter fluid! Makes it worse. I say this from experience. :cry:

I did what Holdfast said -- nothing -- on a Paul Smith square I have and it's been fine. Of course, this assumes the tag was on the wrong side of the fabric.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Take it back and demand the shop keeper remove it. You had sought to buy a pocket square - glue is not compris so the shopkeeper should have the burden of removing it.

9. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Funny you say that because I bought it on ebay, contacted the seller, and he told me that all his Brioni pocket squares had the tracking tag on them. Weird why that's so common but like your's, mine is on the "dull" side of the silk. It's not a deal breaker, just grinding to my OCD!

empty I haven't heard of Goo Gone before? Feel like I'm setting myself up for a REALLY bad joke...:D.

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

It's a real thing that works well. I've never used it on fabric, though.

http://googone.com/

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member