• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Trench Coat / Rain Coat

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality rain coat that I can wear over a suit during the summer months.

I was originally erring towards a Burberry, but the thread regarding their poor quality has disturbed me, so I'm appealing to the good people of Styleforum to point me in the right direction for something in dark blue / fairly understated / classic cut / budget not a major issue.

Any recommendations?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Private White VC makes a good ventile mac. Doesn't have the classic silhouette of the belted Burberry, but a rather understated one. Alternatively, Macintosh.

That being said, I do have a Burberry trenchcoat in the more classic cut, and I haven't found quality to be a problem. Rather, what restricts it's use for me is that it's not very versatile, it looks off with more casual clothes. I find my PWVC coat easier to match.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality rain coat that I can wear over a suit during the summer months.

I was originally erring towards a Burberry, but the thread regarding their poor quality has disturbed me, so I'm appealing to the good people of Styleforum to point me in the right direction for something in dark blue / fairly understated / classic cut / budget not a major issue.

Any recommendations?

for pure value, Sanyo is probably a good option.

As for Burberry, they are no quality issues that I’ve heard of. My wife has a Burberry coat and hasn’t had any issues. I don’t have one but have plenty of colleagues who do and they don’t have any issues.

Are they worth the price? That’s for you, but don’t automatically buy into the bullshit “decline in quality” narrative.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any recommendations?
Buy a Burberry, specifically a cotton gabardine coat from their Heritage line. There are no quality issues. I have several coast from Burberry, including two recent trench coats and the quality is on a par with my vintage Burberry. There's one more reason to buy a Burberry if you want a trench coat: everything else is a copy.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
for pure value, Sanyo is probably a good option.

As for Burberry, they are no quality issues that I’ve heard of. My wife has a Burberry coat and hasn’t had any issues. I don’t have one but have plenty of colleagues who do and they don’t have any issues.

Are they worth the price? That’s for you, but don’t automatically buy into the bullshit “decline in quality” narrative.
Agree on Burberry trench coats. They are the "Crown Jewels", and foundation of the brand. Initially way over engineered for current uses (as a coat to be lived in, outside, in the trenches of WW 1), they have, I believe, left the quality of the "Heritage" line alone.

I have a 35 year old one that is still in good shape. There may be some analogues with Church's shoes. Some are down on the brand's quality since the Prada takeover. There seems to be general agreement though (see the Church's thread) that their classic dress shoe lines, which have been largely unchanged for decades, still maintain the quality of those produced pre-Prada.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm pretty set on the Burberry Trench Coat after trying it on at the store, but I'm cautious about the colour.

Head is telling me Midnight, but heart is saying Honey.

My main concern about Honey is how unforgiving it is to deal with stains and what not. Does anyone have any experience?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honey . A few stains never deterred Rick.

casablanca-1942-005-conrad-veidt-claude-rains-humphrey-bogart-ingrid-bergman-paul-henreid-poli...jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads